RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Rally (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/)
-   -   Tamiya XV-01 - slipper clutch setup and clutch pads (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/579072-tamiya-xv-01-slipper-clutch-setup-clutch-pads.html)

Dims 01-30-2017 11:43 PM

Tamiya XV-01 - slipper clutch setup and clutch pads

Hello guys,

I build in the slipper clutch as I assembled my xv-01.
Unfortunately tamiyas manual doesn't say a word about setting it up properly.

But this video from horizon hobby was helpful.

https://youtu.be/YW7can6WjRw

But I have questions to you.

Are there any other notable hints you can tell me?

Other videos besides this, telling that the slipper clutch pads will be wore out someday. But I couldn't find replacement parts from tamiya.

It seems I have to buys the whole set again.

What about your experiences? Do I have to reckon to replace everything altogether anyway because the gear will be worn out as well?

I found similar looking pads from team Durango.

German shop who had them....

SLIPPER CLUTCH PAD (2pcs) | vicasso RC-Modellsport Shop - Ihr Modellbau Partner

But they may not fit. I couldn't find proper measures of these pads.

Please share your experiences.

Greetings from a snow covered Berlin, Germany. :mrgreen:

4roller 01-31-2017 02:55 AM

Re: Tamiya XV-01 - slipper clutch setup and clutch pads

I will tell you that the Team Associated B4 and T4 slipper spurs are a direct replacement. I used a 72tooth Jconcepts spur made for the Associated B4 and T4. The slipper pads in the octagonal shape are identical and used on a number of chassis, not only Tamiya/Team Assoc.

I have had my slipper pads for almost a year and they don't need to be replaced. Unless you have set your slipper super loose and have been running it for a long time, I doubt you will need to replace it.

You can always roughen/clean up the pads to remove the glaze.

Your gears will last a very very long time if you have the slipper set right. No need to replace your gears. You can tell the gears need replacing (or cleaned) when they feel crunchy when spinning freely (pinion or motor removed) with your hand.

Good luck from Sunny Los Angeles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dims (Post 5659157)
Hello guys,

I build in the slipper clutch as I assembled my xv-01.
Unfortunately tamiyas manual doesn't say a word about setting it up properly.

I

Dims 01-31-2017 03:26 PM

Right'o. Sounds great. Thank you very much.

"thumbsup"

Natedog 03-24-2017 10:31 AM

Did you finish building this car, pics, how's it run?

Dims 08-20-2017 01:19 PM

Help Guys,

After more than half a year I can give you some feedback.
I would always recommend to put that piece of hardware in. It takes some power away from the motor and wheels but I have other cars (older ones) without slipper and usually i have to change the gears often compared to slipper clutch equipped cars.

My spur gear at the XV-01 went south today and got pretty bad eaten up by the pinion gear.
Never had a problem with the cloth or the gears itself. What happened can be a mixture of things.
I wasn't cleaning the inside of the box very often and changed lately batteries from 2S to 3S Lipo.
Motor got pretty hot and I recognized a change of the sound in front of the car. Checked the gears after the run but couldn't see anything unusual.
After a second run the sound wasn't there anymore and I thought whatever it was it's gone. But the strange sound came back short before the spur gear went off. After undoing everything I could see that one of the pads were a bit out of shape and not really in place where it should be.
I would say may laziness and not cleaning often the inside plus the hotter motor compared to former drives with 2S made it happen.

Btw. The weak spot within the drive besides the pulleys and the belt (which is still the same combination since I build the car) is the cover. Only two screws and enough space for small pieces of sand can get into. I have other cars with closed boxes and they are closed....literally.

So I was remembering about this thread an looked around for replacements.
At the end I could get the stuff 4roller mentioned from Team Associated. No store had the stuff in stock or I couldn't get it because they simply not delivering to Germany.
I looked up the replacement parts from Tamina and ordered them twice.

Spur Gear Tamiya

Suits:

- DB-02 Chassis (Leonis)
- DN-01 (Zahhak)
- TRF201 (42167)
- TRF502X (42183)
- Slipper Clutch 54378 (XV-01)

77 tooth 48 Pitch

The Slipper Pads are a bit mysterious to me.
I found them as "related to" product as I ordered the spur gear.

Tamiya - 9804453

Suitable for the slipper clutch sets

54260 (TRF201)
54378 (XV-01)

But If I look up the number I only got the complete slipper clutch set back for at least $19 US.

I found a german PDF with ordering numbers from Tamiya and a corresponding price:

19804453【AP】SLIPPER PAD(WHITE) : 54260(2pcs.)11,49€