Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Opinions on Dromida 1/18 Rally Car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Opinions on Dromida 1/18 Rally Car?

Any thoughts out there on the Dromida 1/18 rally car? I really like small scale and the brushless version looks great. Was looking at upgrading to the alum drivetrain to run 2s lipo and maybe get a better looking body from Team BlueGroove. Maybe run some Traxxas 1/16 rally rites/wheels on it too to add some ground clearance. Thoughts? Experiences?
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Opinions on Dromida 1/18 Rally Car?

Its a blast! I see no reason to upgrade mine. The only issue I have had is- if you slam into a curb at speed the front dog bone will pop out. Now that I know this I keep spares on hand.

Last edited by Habanero; 11-03-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

They constantly fill the Scratch and Dent section on Tower Hobbies. I'd say they get returned a lot.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTS1000p?&C=C
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I thought it would make a good drifter... but I cant find wheels for it.

A review :

Dromida 1/18 Brushless Rally Car Review « Big Squid RC – News, Reviews, Videos, and More!

EDIT: make sure to include opinions of people who don't actually OWN one- as they obviously know what they are talking about ^^^
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
I thought it would make a good drifter... but I cant find wheels for it.

A review :

Dromida 1/18 Brushless Rally Car Review « Big Squid RC – News, Reviews, Videos, and More!

EDIT: make sure to include opinions of people who don't actually OWN one- as they obviously know what they are talking about ^^^
I'm sorry I hurt your wittle feelings. I didn't say they were junk. I said it looks like they get returned a lot to Tower Hobbies. Look at their Scratch and Dent every week. Dromidas are always there.

If you want the best bang for your buck mini check out the Tacon rally. I personally have the Soar buggy and can vouch for their fun and durability. And you can get the brushed version for $99.

Tacon RC

BTW - BigSquid is a garbage site filled with fake reviews. They appease their sponsors.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I picked up 3 of the Wasteland buggies dirt cheap when they were discontinued last holiday season so the boys and I could all run the same car. They're fun little vehicles and relatively durable. My older son is *really* hard on his and has broken some parts, but replacements are cheap. My only real complaints are that the steering doesn't center very well (making them a shaky at speed) and the brushed motors run really hot. I'm not sure if the brushless versions run any cooler.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone for your input so far. I was curious about the discontinued Traxxas 1/16 rally as well. I will looking to the Tacon and Turnigy as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethstiles View Post
Thanks everyone for your input so far. I was curious about the discontinued Traxxas 1/16 rally as well. I will looking to the Tacon and Turnigy as well.
I had a Traxxas 1/16 Slash VXL. I hated it and it's one of the very few RCs that I've ever sold. It flipped over easily on high traction surfaces and bottomed out easily over jumps. The cantilever suspension, which is awesome on the 1/10th scale Revo, doesn't work well at the 1/16th scale. The 1/16th Traxxas vehicles also have reliability issues. JANG from UltimateRC named it one of the worst RCs ever if I remember correctly.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the heads up! So, what's your advise on a small scale rally car....or a 1/10 scale for that matter.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! So, what's your advise on a small scale rally car....or a 1/10 scale for that matter.
If you want a mini the Tacon is hard to beat.

I personally get bored with minis and always go back to 1/10th scale vehicles.

What's your intended use?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have a 1/24 crawler and a 1/18 Losi crawler Ive turned into a scaler. Ive always loved rally cars. Intended use would be parking lot at work, neighborhood, small, handmade jumps and courses and some hardpack dirt areas as well as the rough pavement surfaces we have here I Louisiana. On top of this, just good looks and fun to tinker with. Team Bluegroove on Ebay has some great, classic mini and full scale rally bodies you can't find on the mass market today that would be fun to put on too.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #12

Jumps and rough pavement sounds like a good reason to upgrade to 1/10th scale. Are you set on RTR or are you willing to build a kit?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I hear ya. I've tossed around the idea of a short course truck instead of a rally car for those reasons. I am leaning more toward RTR for building skill reasons but am curious about doing a kit at some point for sure. There are a number of things I like about small scale: kit cost, use of batteries I already have, cost of replacement parts, enjoying them in smaller spaces, large scale technology in a cool, small package. But, I would not be surprised if I move to 1/10 in the future for all the reasons you and I know of.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Its a blast! I see no reason to upgrade mine. The only issue I have had is- if you slam into a curb at speed the front dog bone will pop out. Now that I know this I keep spares on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
They constantly fill the Scratch and Dent section on Tower Hobbies. I'd say they get returned a lot.
It seems that's because many parents by them for kids and then let them run without any instruction or assistance. Lots of reviews on the LaTrax and Dromida minis calling them junk, broke in 5 minutes, blah blah blah...if you constantly run any rc into curbs, parked cars and trees at full speed, something is going to break. Then most of them lack common sense and even knowledge to take something apart and fix it....throw it away and buy another lol....sad.

Quote:
...If you want the best bang for your buck mini check out the Tacon rally. I personally have the Soar buggy and can vouch for their fun and durability. And you can get the brushed version for $99.

Tacon RC

BTW - BigSquid is a garbage site filled with fake reviews. They appease their sponsors.
I've looked at those HK cars, but I like the ease of stopping by LHS and picking up replacement parts.

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
I picked up 3 of the Wasteland buggies dirt cheap when they were discontinued last holiday season so the boys and I could all run the same car. They're fun little vehicles and relatively durable. My older son is *really* hard on his and has broken some parts, but replacements are cheap. My only real complaints are that the steering doesn't center very well (making them a shaky at speed) and the brushed motors run really hot. I'm not sure if the brushless versions run any cooler.
Nice, enjoy your inexpensive RC time together, great times, lots of laughs running together like that!

Quote:
It's not discontinued, it's just replaced with updated version which lately just means a slightly different body. I love my 1/16 Mini Slash, converted it to brushless with Tacon BL motor and Castle SW3 esc, on 2s it's crazy fast and pretty reliable, nothing broken yet and lots of beatings lol. My LaTrax 1/18 brushed shortcourse truck has also been driven hard and put away wet, great fun on the stock 6 cell mini nimh batteries! Only thing I've broken on the LaTrax was a front stock cvd while bashing in very rough dirt at full throttle, not bad considering this was a rough area for even 1/10 scale trucks lol. Replacement cvds are in my box and cheap.

Here's Traxxas/LaTrax current minis:

https://traxxas.com/products/showroom?f[0]=field_power%3A37&f[1]=commerce_price%3A%5B0%20TO%20300%5D

Quote:
I had a Traxxas 1/16 Slash VXL. I hated it and it's one of the very few RCs that I've ever sold. It flipped over easily on high traction surfaces and bottomed out easily over jumps. The cantilever suspension, which is awesome on the 1/10th scale Revo, doesn't work well at the 1/16th scale. The 1/16th Traxxas vehicles also have reliability issues. JANG from UltimateRC named it one of the worst RCs ever if I remember correctly.
Stock the rear springs are generally too soft, tune it. It's narrow, small and has power, all part of the scale driving experience, just takes a little more finesse on the controls to drive it well. I saw Jangs review, meh he didn't try tuning or better finesse while trying to run/jump it on dried up, dusty 1/10 offroad track, poor review. The stock Traxxas Velineon brushless system is kinda weak especially in hot weather, just buy a Tacon motor and esc of your choice, sell the stock Traxxas stuff nip.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
It seems that's because many parents by them for kids and then let them run without any instruction or assistance. Lots of reviews on the LaTrax and Dromida minis calling them junk, broke in 5 minutes, blah blah blah...if you constantly run any rc into curbs, parked cars and trees at full speed, something is going to break. Then most of them lack common sense and even knowledge to take something apart and fix it....throw it away and buy another lol....sad.
That's possible. But a lot of them are used, but working. To me that says a lot of people are unhappy with them, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
I've looked at those HK cars, but I like the ease of stopping by LHS and picking up replacement parts.

Yes.
Mini parts have always been hard to find at my LHS. And even with an LHS I typically order most of my parts online, but yes, I agree that there is something to be said for local parts availability if the OP has an LHS that stocks parts.

I forgot about LaTrax. I don't have any experience or knowledge of those.

Quote:
Stock the rear springs are generally too soft, tune it. It's narrow, small and has power, all part of the scale driving experience, just takes a little more finesse on the controls to drive it well. I saw Jangs review, meh he didn't try tuning or better finesse while trying to run/jump it on dried up, dusty 1/10 offroad track, poor review. The stock Traxxas Velineon brushless system is kinda weak especially in hot weather, just buy a Tacon motor and esc of your choice, sell the stock Traxxas stuff nip.
Fair enough. Just sharing my personal experience. The 1/16 Traxxas vehicles seem very polarizing. Either you love them or hate them.

In rough terrain, on-road and off-road, I'd still urge the OP to consider 1/10th scale though.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #16

I have the A242 from WLToys
very cheap , fast and durable
Adakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Good to here WLToys mentioned. I have been interested in them before, esp the short course truck. Looks like you get alot ofr your money and overall quality is good. A "sleeper" choice that people should consider. Only drawback/risk might be part availability and wait time. How has that been for you?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I know I'm all over the place here, but figure I'd fill this thread with various comments on various small scale rally cars. Anyone have thoughts on the LC Racing 1/14 rally car? Other than the Tacon being called a 1/12 and the LC being called a 1/14, they look identical. As with other cars like Turnigy, WLToys, I am a little concerned about parts availability and wait time. Here's the link: EMB-WRCH - product - RC Car Brand since 2012
Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #19

Quote:
I know I'm all over the place here, but figure I'd fill this thread with various comments on various small scale rally cars. Anyone have thoughts on the LC Racing 1/14 rally car? Other than the Tacon being called a 1/12 and the LC being called a 1/14, they look identical. As with other cars like Turnigy, WLToys, I am a little concerned about parts availability and wait time. Here's the link: EMB-WRCH - product - RC Car Brand since 2012
That link is the OEM for Tacon. Exactly the same rally car that I suggested above.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's possible. But a lot of them are used, but working. To me that says a lot of people are unhappy with them, but I could be wrong.

Fair enough. Just sharing my personal experience. The 1/16 Traxxas vehicles seem very polarizing. Either you love them or hate them...
Lots of unknowledgeable people who never took apart or fixed anything in their life lol. Good opportunity for a deal with spares if you buy two, I'd still buy the LaTrax instead due to better vehicles, parts and support.

Eh, smaller vehicles usually require more skill and attention to driving to make it over same obstacles as larger 1/10 scale. Yes, seems to be love/hate.

Quote:
...If you want the best bang for your buck mini check out the Tacon rally. I personally have the Soar buggy and can vouch for their fun and durability. And you can get the brushed version for $99.

Tacon RC

Looks like a nice car! Just stock up on spares so you don't have to wait, but I do that with everything so Im' not waiting.

Yes, lol.

Last edited by Natedog; 11-20-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Opinions on Dromida 1/18 Rally Car? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM