Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 03:07 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally

I think I have it figured out. I needed to get a 38p pinion. The one I have on the titan is a 48p. Lesson learned I hope. If I’m way off here please chime in.

I ended up going on a parts ordering spree. This damn IPA has me feeling Spritely.

Parts for the rally on the way (yeah I may or may not have ordered stuff for the crawlers too):

ST Racing Aluminum Center Driveshaft Hub
38p 12t pinion. (I’m going to order others as well.)
King Headz motor mount
Hobbywing ez run max10 Brushless esc and 3652 3300 kv motor

Probably going to do the axle carriers next.

Any ideas on shocks that have longer travel?

Last edited by Bubba02STi; 01-08-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Bubba02STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I had heard the suggestion from others that the center differentials don't work so well when running 3S on this platform. Despite this and because it's what my local hobby shop had in stock I purchased the center differential. It seemed okay enough, but after roasting the internal gears twice I removed it and went with the 32p slipper clutch TRA6878. I have a Hobbywing 3200kv 3660 SD motor in mine.

For shocks I upgraded to the Traxxas GTR shocks. I like these because they're stout, easy to get replacement parts for and have a couple of different Traxxas spring options. My main battery is a fairly heavy, hard case, 3S Lipo. I like the performance more when I run lighter, soft-case Lipos but hate the greater risks of rupturing them when running off road. I'm not going crazy and sending the rally over big jumps but I'd still rather not take a chance.

Last edited by colbynobo; 01-08-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Extra word
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
I had heard the suggestion from others that the center differentials don't work so well when running 3S on this platform. Despite this and because it's what my local hobby shop had in stock I purchased the center differential. It seemed okay enough, but after roasting the internal gears twice I removed it and went with the 32p slipper clutch TRA6878. I have a Hobbywing 3200kv 3660 SD motor in mine.

For shocks I upgraded to the Traxxas GTR shocks. I like these because they're stout, easy to get replacement parts for and have a couple of different Traxxas spring options. My main battery is a fairly heavy, hard case, 3S Lipo. I like the performance more when I run lighter, soft-case Lipos but hate the greater risks of rupturing them when running off road. I'm not going crazy and sending the rally over big jumps but I'd still rather not take a chance.
Ive read a lot of back and forth on them. Some like them some don’t. I’m going to give it shot since it’s supposed to give a more lifelike feel. The slipper clutches are half the cost so I may just pick one of those up as well. I’ll only be running a 2s till I get a handle on the brushless set up. I’ll take a look at the GTR shocks. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hmm. I should probably buy a Dusty Motors cover, too. I've already destroyed one motor fan from dirt and pebbles and would like to not have that happen again.
My go fasts could use a dust cover too! Probably fab some inner fenders too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba02STi View Post
I think I have it figured out. I needed to get a 38p pinion. The one I have on the titan is a 48p. Lesson learned I hope. If I’m way off here please chime in.

Parts for the rally on the way (yeah I may or may not have ordered stuff for the crawlers too):
King Headz motor mount
Hobbywing ez run max10 Brushless esc and 3652 3300 kv motor
Those gears are either 1.0 or 0.8 Module, RRP makes some nice extra hard steel pinions that I'm using.

Quote:
IME center diff at least on Slash 4x4 running brushless with 3S and up won't last more than couple battery packs. Better off with the complete Revo spec slipper setup. Kingheadz aluminum motor mount/bulkhead is sweet!

I've got the HW SCT10 ESC/Motor setup with 3200kv (4 pole), very nice and so far a huge improvement over Traxxas BL!

Last edited by Natedog; 11-20-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Default Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
My Rustler 4X4 VXL could use a dust cover too! Probably fab some inner fenders too.

Those gears are either 1.0 or 0.8 Module, RRP makes some nice extra hard steel pinions that I'm using.

IME center diff at least on Slash 4x4 running brushless with 3S and up won't last more than couple battery packs. Better off with the complete Revo spec slipper setup. Kingheadz aluminum motor mount/bulkhead is sweet!

I've got the HW SCT10 ESC/Motor setup with 3200kv (4 pole), very nice and so far a huge improvement over Traxxas BL!

Same shocks I'm contemplating, they are burly. Also running hardcase 3s lipos, 4500mah.

What all parts do I need for the Revo setup?

These parts?
TRA6878
TRA5352R
TRA5351

Or these parts?
TRA5351X
TRA5352R

Or is there something else that is not Traxxas that would work good. My luck with Traxxas parts has been weak at best.

Last edited by Bubba02STi; 01-10-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:06 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Pretty sure the mail man wasn’t happy today.

I should be able to break this stupid car much faster now. Kidding. Excited to see what how much of a difference everything will make. Just need to solder on a deans plug, attach the motor plate, and tuck away the wire for the temp sensor.

I’m going to see how I like the center diff first before I go to the revo slipper set up.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Instagram: shortbusadventureteam
Old 01-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Waiting on a bunch of parts to get here, but the VG Racing Chassis Brace came in so I got that installed. Also I drilled out the stripped screw in the factory motor plate so I could attach the motor.

Parts I’m waiting on

STRC ESC mounting plate
STRC Motor heat sink plate
RPM Front bulkhead
VG Racing Springs
Hot Racing Sway Bar Kit
Robinson Racing Pinions (Various Turns)
RPM Front and Rear A-Arms

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Last edited by Bubba02STi; 01-15-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

It’s all fun and games until you smack the corner of a curb.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-16-2019, 12:23 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Damage assessment.

The damage looks a lot worse than it appears. I only broke the carrier and gave the wheel some curb rash. So nothing major. Ordered a set of aluminum carriers for replacements.

Some parts arrived today. The esc mounting plate, heat sink, and bulkhead. Changed my mind on the blue bulkhead though. I can’t seem to find a rear one to match so I ended up ordering a black one.

Ordered some other parts as well to go with what I need to fix him after today.

STRC Steering Blocks
STRC Caster Blocks
STRC Rear Carriers
STRC Hinge Pins
RPM Bulkhead (Black)

I’m going to put him up until all parts are delivered and installed. Should make for a fun afternoon with everything I’m still waiting on.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I wonder how the Pro-Line Striker SC tires are/were?

They discontinued them, but one interesting thing is that they don't use foams - they have internal cross-ribbing to support the weight.

You can still find them for sale, lots of places...
I really like the Striker SC’s! I used them when I built my first custom Traxxas Rally 1/10 VXL, back when the original Slash4x4-based version was still available. They allow the car to break free and drift, and avoid traction rolls.

Here’s a video I filmed where I pointed out my observation of the Striker SC’s.

I like the more scale look of the newer Fiesta Rally, as opposed to the original version, which was quite gaudy in appearance. I have a set of Telluride a-arms(same as used on the Fiesta Rally), so I’m thinking I might eventually convert my Rally to fit the slimmer Fiesta body. Seems like quite a few people like the current version of the Traxxas Rally, anyways.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I really like the Striker SC’s! I used them when I built my first custom Traxxas Rally 1/10 VXL, back when the original Slash4x4-based version was still available. They allow the car to break free and drift, and avoid traction rolls.

Here’s a video I filmed where I pointed out my observation of the Striker SC’s.

I like the more scale look of the newer Fiesta Rally, as opposed to the original version, which was quite gaudy in appearance. I have a set of Telluride a-arms(same as used on the Fiesta Rally), so I’m thinking I might eventually convert my Rally to fit the slimmer Fiesta body. Seems like quite a few people like the current version of the Traxxas Rally, anyways.

I looked around for them but it seems most places are out of stock. The BFG’s have been holding up ok. After going brushless though I’ve noticed they are starting to show signs of wear. Nothing major yet. Overall handling on them has been great even going from snow to asphalt to dirt to mud. You mentioned the strikers giving away just enough to prevent traction rolls. These seem to be doing well and doing the same thing.

I’m so so on how I feel about the rally. I wanted a scale rally car and thought this would be a good platform to start with. Should have done my research a little more instead of impulse buying it. There is almost nothing scale related to it. For a 1:10 this thing dwarfs my SCX10 II. So my build direction has gone towards a durable high speed all surface great handling track beast instead of scale clone of my 1:1 rally car. For out the door cost you would think it would have been a bit quicker and more sturdy. Pretty bad that I toasted two brushed motors, one due to rocks getting in the motor. And spun the other one out when I toasted the high stall gear. Personally I feel the VXL should have been the only option. I also wish there was more cosmetic aftermarket support for it as well.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I looked around for them but it seems most places are out of stock. The BFG’s have been holding up ok. After going brushless though I’ve noticed they are starting to show signs of wear.

I’m so so on how I feel about the rally. I wanted a scale rally car and thought this would be a good platform to start with. Should have done my research a little more instead of impulse buying it. There is almost nothing scale related to it. For a 1:10 this thing dwarfs my SCX10 II.
I didn't want to get too comfortable with a tire which was going away, so I've never even bothered to try Strikers. I like how the stock tires perform, but with the way I want to drive my Rally the tires live a short life.

I know what you mean about the scale. A few years ago I bought a Tamiya XV-01 because I really liked the size and their appearance. Sadly, I discovered that even the dirt lots that I figured to be smooth still had their fair share of jellybean or marble sized pebbles that caused the XV-01 to bounce around. What ruins my attempts to keep the Rally more sensible and slow is that I often run it back-to-back with my Traxxas 4tec 2.0. Granted, the 4tec can't really go off road at all, but it's quite fun to drive on dry and dusty pavement with both 2S and 3S. I'm basically trying to make my Rally a next-size-up version of my 4tec, but with light off-road capabilitie$.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I didn't want to get too comfortable with a tire which was going away, so I've never even bothered to try Strikers. I like how the stock tires perform, but with the way I want to drive my Rally the tires live a short life.

I know what you mean about the scale. A few years ago I bought a Tamiya XV-01 because I really liked the size and their appearance. Sadly, I discovered that even the dirt lots that I figured to be smooth still had their fair share of jellybean or marble sized pebbles that caused the XV-01 to bounce around. What ruins my attempts to keep the Rally more sensible and slow is that I often run it back-to-back with my Traxxas 4tec 2.0. Granted, the 4tec can't really go off road at all, but it's quite fun to drive on dry and dusty pavement with both 2S and 3S. I'm basically trying to make my Rally a next-size-up version of my 4tec, but with light off-road capabilitie$.

I’m glad you brought that up about the xv01. Ive been considering that and the TT02 chassis to do a scale rally build. What ever I decide though I’m going to do a ground up build making sure it fits under the body.

One thing I do give to the Traxxas rally, is that it damn sure can take a beating. I didn’t want to go the basher route with it, but that seems to be the way it’s going. As I get more into this hobby I’m realizing the only competitive racing I have here is crawling. We don’t have any short course tracks locally. Probably up in Denver but I avoid that mess. But I’ve always wanted a fun car to mess around with on the hiking trails and this certainly fits the bill.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

More parts have arrived.

VG Racing Springs
Robinson Racing Pinions
50wt and up shock oil
ECO Power 5000Mah 3s
Larger Protek Lipo Bag

I was bored so I started installing the parts I have. Figured I might as well knock out the parts for the inner chassis.

I started with the VG Racing Springs. These are much longer than I anticipated. These are supposed to be a +1 over the stock springs.

I decided them to the inner holes on the strut towers and the outer holes on the A arms to compensate for the length increase and give them a bit more of angle to hopefully help with keeping it rubber side down.

Next was the ST Racing Concepts ESC Mounting Plate.

The factory ESC just screwed into the chassis. Well the Hobbywing ESC uses 3m adhesive. While the Hobbywing did fit between the mounts that the factory ESC would screw into I still had to Dremel out the honeycomb to get it to firmly stick to the chassis. Figuring I’d probably upgrade the esc again at some point I searched (see stumbled upon) and found the STRC plate. Figured that getting the ESC off the bed of the chassis and using some outdoor 3m tape was a better approach. Plus giving the ESC a bit more breathing room to keep cool is never a bad thing right.

Next up was the heatsink.

Again,anything to help keep the car cooled off right? The stock one probably would have been fine but when I was installing the brushless setup I stripped the head off of one of the screws that mounts the motor to the heatsink. Figured I’d order another one before attempting to drill out the screw in the factory. (This is how I stumbled upon the ESC mounting plate) I was successful at drilling out the screw in the old plate but figured I’d throw this in anyway. Honestly if you didn’t know it was the stock one you wouldn’t even be able to tell.

Here is how it is sitting with everything I have received as of now.

Still waiting on more parts to come in. Once my sporadic laundry list of parts has arrived I’m going to do the GTR shocks and get a set of +1 and -1 springs for it. MIP CVD’s and aluminum shock towers. Try and keep it to as few orders as possible instead of many separate orders like I did this go around.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Last edited by Bubba02STi; 01-17-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #35

I bet this rig was hella fun in the snow!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I bet this rig was hella fun in the snow!

It’s a riot, but it gets hung up pretty easy and gets high centered. The new springs did lift it so that will probably help a bit

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

So it looks like I won’t be able to use the control arms. The RPM A Arms I received will not fit the Fiesta ST. Kind of bummed. RPM has it noted on their website. AMain does not. I guess I need to get arms for the Telluride and it doesn’t look like RPM makes them.

I did get the carriers installed and the car is back to running again. So that’s a plus.

So now I’m on the hunt for some A Arms for the telluride. Probably going to have to go with aluminum.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Tonight’s goodies to install

Not much to show other than the front knuckles and camber links. You can kind of see the sway bar.

Also a quick clip of the speed. Sorry it’s dark out. I’ll try and get a day time run here soon.

https://youtu.be/ic_wctbTTHQ

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Was finally able to properly test this thing out without breaking something. I wanna note that the Traxxas Slash and standard Rally control arms and camber links will NOT work on the Rally Fiesta. RPM doesn’t have an A arm kit for it either. If looking for an upgrade for the A arms search for the Telluride. The camber links and arms are direct swap. I went with Traxxas aluminum camber links 36mm and 39mm for front and rear. You will need longer bolts over factory.

Very happy with the way it has turned out. 3S almost seems to be too much for the car but it is too much fun. A little dialing in of the suspension and it should be good to go. Still going to do the GTR shocks upgrade but for right now these are doing great. Plus I want to figure out spring options for those. Just need to watch the spend and throttle when turning.

https://youtu.be/sUmqLtAAbBg

Next upgrades:
Telluride aluminum control arms
Aluminum body posts
GTR Shocks.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What all parts do I need for the Revo setup?

These parts?
TRA6878
TRA5352R
TRA5351

Or these parts?
TRA5351X
TRA5352R

Or is there something else that is not Traxxas that would work good. My luck with Traxxas parts has been weak at best.
Not sure on part numbers, but here's link to look up the parts via exploded view or parts list.
https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-vxl?t=support

Quote:
...attach the motor plate, and tuck away the wire for the temp sensor.
BTW, the HW motor/ESC combo (very nice setup!) includes plastic ESC tray, very short countersunk 3mm screws and ESC has two holes in bottom of case to attach it to the included plate, which then screws to the chassis.

Traxxas makes different springs rates for the GTR shocks, but my reading shows that the VG Racing springs for the GTR shocks are good units and stiffer.

Always goood idea ime to put some extra grease in the big bearing next to slipper/driveshaft setup, makes them last longer especially on 3s. Nice KingHeadz motor mount!

Last edited by Natedog; 11-20-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rally Pro 4 + Traxxas rally wheels jeepgeek2002 Rally 1 01-05-2015 06:10 AM
Traxxas 1/10 Rally DeweyCJ5 Rally 52 08-15-2013 10:35 PM
1/10 or 1/16 Traxxas Rally ethernectar Rally 6 03-08-2013 11:33 AM
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM