Hobbywing Max 10 Brushless ESC
Top Qualifier 2.4Ghz Radio and Receiver
Traxxas High Torque Servo

Scale Accessories
Stock

Miscellaneous
Dusty Motors Chassis Shroud

Current Pic

Last edited by Bubba02STi; 01-20-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Updated parts list and current picture.
Bubba02STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally

Decided I needed something a little faster in the dirt than a crawler, so I picked up a Traxxas Fiesta Rally. Took it out for a bit after replacing the Traxxas plug with a deans. Here is a picture of it before it even hit the dirt.

Last edited by Bubba02STi; 12-02-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Toasted the motor on the second day.

Went and had some fun with it today. Found its limits. Pretty sure I toasted the motor. Seemed to be down on power shortly after running it fairly hard. Played a bit in the snow and then it seemed to give out. Thought it might be the same issue I had with my deadbolt l but the servo works on the other channels. I should probably get a dirt sock to put over it as I’m sure all dirt I kicked up into toasted it. Any suggestions on motors? Thinking about brushless if the price tag is right.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bubba’s Traxxas Rally

Way to go Traxxas! Good job!

Have a new motor, just a stock 12t 550, but I’m going to need a new pinion as well. I’m looking at upgrades for brushed motors unless anyone can point me in the direction of a WP brushless.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2

Instagram: shortbusadventureteam
Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally

Well the 1/10 Rally is fixed. Forgot I ordered a spare 550 12t. Still waiting on the dusty motors shroud but I figured I’d take it out tomorrow for a bit and see how well he runs. The rips up and down the street seemed to be ok. I need to start looking into upgrades. Mainly want to get rid of the plastic suspension and driveline first. And probably move to brushless as well. If anyone has suggestions for the slash/rally let me know. It’ll be spending its time on both dirt and pavement.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally

Felt good to get it out and rip it around a bit.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Last edited by Bubba02STi; 12-11-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

I want one of these Traxxas rally cars. I'd like to make it an on-road missile as well.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run a Hobbywing EZ-3660SL 3200KV motor in mine. I went with the 550 length and lower KV so I would have reasonable temperatures on 3S. It's geared 54/14. When it's 80 degrees outside the motor still gets up to around 170 degrees after 15-20 minutes, so I wish it would run cooler. It's fast, but not blazing fast when I run it on pavement. Lots o' torque.

I had a chance to drive it on a medium sized dirt track a few weeks ago. I couldn't really open it up too much because the body kept dragging the ground in bumpy sections and I had to make certain that I landed the jumps as flat as possible. Didn't help matters that I was running a set of Traxxas Anaconda 2.2 stadium truck tires so traction wasn't spectacular. It was a nice challenge, though.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
I run a Hobbywing EZ-3660SL 3200KV motor in mine. I went with the 550 length and lower KV so I would have reasonable temperatures on 3S. It's geared 54/14. When it's 80 degrees outside the motor still gets up to around 170 degrees after 15-20 minutes, so I wish it would run cooler. It's fast, but not blazing fast when I run it on pavement. Lots o' torque.

I had a chance to drive it on a medium sized dirt track a few weeks ago. I couldn't really open it up too much because the body kept dragging the ground in bumpy sections and I had to make certain that I landed the jumps as flat as possible. Didn't help matters that I was running a set of Traxxas Anaconda 2.2 stadium truck tires so traction wasn't spectacular. It was a nice challenge, though.

Is that brushed or brushless? Pretty sure I could go look it up. I’m trying to find a happy compromise to the body height for both on and off road. I’ve already raised it one notch. I may go up another. I ended up with two titan motors so I at least have a spare for now. I’m not too worried about top end speed (faster would be nice), but more so how fast can I get to top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I want one of these Traxxas rally cars. I'd like to make it an on-road missile as well.

I don’t regret getting it. It’s been a lot of fun so far. I just wish there was more metal than plastic bits. But upgrading shouldn’t be too hard. There seem to be a lot of suspension kits out there.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bubba’s Traxxas Rally

Installed the Dusty Motors shroud today. Hopefully this helps keep all the rocks out and from destroying things. Pretty easy to install and seems to have a nice tight fit around the chassis. Very lightweight and breathable. Easy to reach in to connect batteries and should be easy enough to remove for tear downs. Also came with synthetic socks for help protect the shocks. Not sure if I’m going to use those.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba02STi View Post
I don’t regret getting it. It’s been a lot of fun so far. I just wish there was more metal than plastic bits. But upgrading shouldn’t be too hard. There seem to be a lot of suspension kits out there.
But remember, metal isn't always good.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I learned a while back when I was just bashing rc's that you might upgrade to metal somewhere to stop breakage but you end up breaking something else that can be much more of a pain in the ass to fix. That energy of impact has gotta go somewhere.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba02STi View Post
Is that brushed or brushless? Pretty sure I could go look it up. I’m trying to find a happy compromise to the body height for both on and off road. I’ve already raised it one notch. I may go up another.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

It's brushless. My body height was okay until I decided to run it on the track at Wheel Park in Aurora. After a few less-than-ideal landings from the jumps my body now has some cracks in the front. I had already trimmed about 2 mm off the front.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I learned a while back when I was just bashing rc's that you might upgrade to metal somewhere to stop breakage but you end up breaking something else that can be much more of a pain in the ass to fix. That energy of impact has gotta go somewhere.
Quote:
That’s a good point. Didn’t even think about that. I’m not into bashing my cars. Just seems like a quick way to waste money. I prefer to go more for the realism effect than anything.

Quote:
It's brushless. My body height was okay until I decided to run it on the track at Wheel Park in Aurora. After a few less-than-ideal landings from the jumps my body now has some cracks in the front. I had already trimmed about 2 mm off the front.
Noted.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Took the boys out for a bit this morning to kick up and climb some rocks.

This shroud is amazing. Kept everything but a fine layer of dust out of the chassis. Didn’t even need to shake it out while running through a battery.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Hmm. I should probably buy a Dusty Motors cover, too. I've already destroyed one motor fan from dirt and pebbles and would like to not have that happen again.

When the time comes to replace the tires do you think you'll get the same set again or try something different? The stock tires have never lasted long enough for me due to my driving style and choice of terrain. I'm currently running a set of Bandito ST 2.8" tires which are okay. So far, I like the performance of the stock tires the best - I just need to not drive like Ken Block when I use those.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hmm. I should probably buy a Dusty Motors cover, too. I've already destroyed one motor fan from dirt and pebbles and would like to not have that happen again.

When the time comes to replace the tires do you think you'll get the same set again or try something different? The stock tires have never lasted long enough for me due to my driving style and choice of terrain. I'm currently running a set of Bandito ST 2.8" tires which are okay. So far, I like the performance of the stock tires the best - I just need to not drive like Ken Block when I use those.
That is exactly why I purchased the shroud. I saw a lot of diy ones but for $30 it saved me time and headaches.

For tires I don’t know. They are working well for me now. Haven’t seen much wear out of them yet, but I have been looking around. I would like to stay with the same design. I noticed Traxxas had combo sets of various color wheels on their web site. I may or may not stick with them.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I wonder how the Pro-Line Striker SC tires are/were?

They discontinued them, but one interesting thing is that they don't use foams - they have internal cross-ribbing to support the weight.

You can still find them for sale, lots of places...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...RoCn4AQAvD_BwE

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Haven’t been running the rally much. But we had a quick snow storm roll through and I couldn’t resist.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Old 01-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

About a week ago I noticed that the car was taking a second to get going. Think of a slipping clutch on a real car. Didn’t want to engage right away just keep spinning up the motor. No big deal I figured I’d just upgrade to a differential anyway. Well that doesn’t seem to be the only problem. I toasted another motor along with the slipper clutch. So it looks like I’m going to go brushless.

Couple questions regarding the differential though. I picked up the Traxxas center diff kit tra6814(see pic below) the spur gears in the kit don’t match the pitch of the pinion. They seem to be too “fat” for the pinion teeth to grab fully and they skip. This is with maxing out the pitch of the motor to meet the largest spur gear from the kit. (The other gears don’t even come close) has anyone done this upgrade? Is the answer to get a larger pinion? What one should I look for?

I also purchased a ST Racing center driveshaft to install but I forgot to order the front hub to go with it. My bad.

SCX-10 II Deadbolt 2
Traxxas Rally

Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rally Pro 4 + Traxxas rally wheels jeepgeek2002 Rally 1 01-05-2015 06:10 AM
Traxxas 1/10 Rally DeweyCJ5 Rally 52 08-15-2013 10:35 PM
1/10 or 1/16 Traxxas Rally ethernectar Rally 6 03-08-2013 11:33 AM
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM