Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Finally satisfied with a rally car..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Finally satisfied with a rally car..

So I’ve been a RC rally (and real life) rally fan for many years. When it comes to RC rally I’ve always been disappointed with what’s on the market in terms of scale and performance. I’ve owned pretty much every rc rally out there (wr8, xv01, associated pro rally, converted tc3/4, Losi rally x, old school hpi rs4, new rs4’s converted, and a bunch of non rally vehicles that I converted (tekno 1/8 buggies etc)..

Some had great scale while others had decent perormance but never could I find it all in one package... until now.

The car I’m speaking of is none other than the traxxas 4Tec 2.0. Now, I haven’t owned many traxxas vehicles over the years as I’m not a basher and prefer kit builds (TLR, Mugen, etc etc).

So I picked up a 4Tec 2.0 and did the dremel clearance mods found in this forum, tossed on a set of front and rear trackstar shocks and WOW...

It’s fast, durable, handles amazing (realistic), does well both on and off road, and really just looks great in the process. For electronics I’m running a Hobbywing 120a sensored esc, trinity 6.5 mod sensored motor, and the stock traxxas servo. The 6.5 motor is overkill and I’ll eventually run something less intense but for now it’s what I had laying around.

Just wanted to spread the word. Don’t immediately cancel it out because it’s a traxxas.. very happy with the platform and I invested very little money to do the conversion. Thank you traxxas! (Ps, I don’t work for them and am not affiliated with them in any way) lol
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Default Re: Finally satisfied with a rally car..

This is great to hear. I had converted a brushless Slash to a rally car in a past life and am looking to get back into it.
maxinflixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Interesting. I have been looking at the Traxxas 4Tec 2.0 trying to decide if I wanted to get into that segment of the hobby.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Are you running different offset wheels between the front and rear to compensate for the narrower rear width?
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #5

Photos?

I had an XV01. It sucked. I have no idea how people liked that car.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Photos?

Agreed. The xv01 is a nightmare. Terrible design, collected dirt like no other, and just a pain to wrench on.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
Are you running different offset wheels between the front and rear to compensate for the narrower rear width?
I have a bunch of spare 12mm hex hubs with various offsets laying around to correct that. Waiting to get the time to paint my Subaru Impreza body before I figure out what looks best. Right now I’m running the stock setup with a carrera gt body that I had laying around.

Will get pics up when I get a chance.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to seeing those pics, great to hear the 4-tec works well as a rally car!

I'd much rather have a rally car than a touring car...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6extreme View Post
So I’ve been a RC rally (and real life) rally fan for many years. When it comes to RC rally I’ve always been disappointed with what’s on the market in terms of scale and performance. I’ve owned pretty much every rc rally out there .....
Some had great scale while others had decent perormance but never could I find it all in one package... until now.

The car I’m speaking of is none other than the traxxas 4Tec 2.0. Now, I haven’t owned many traxxas vehicles over the years as I’m not a basher and prefer kit builds (TLR, Mugen, etc etc).

So I picked up a 4Tec 2.0 and did the dremel clearance mods found in this forum, tossed on a set of front and rear trackstar shocks and WOW...

It’s fast, durable, handles amazing (realistic), does well both on and off road, and really just looks great in the process. For electronics I’m running a Hobbywing 120a sensored esc....

Just wanted to spread the word. Don’t immediately cancel it out because it’s a traxxas.. very happy with the platform and I invested very little money to do the conversion. Thank you traxxas! (Ps, I don’t work for them and am not affiliated with them in any way) lol
Agreed, nice that you picked up the 4Tec 2.0, great looking platform! I've had good luck with brushless Slash 4x4 and X-Maxx, great vehicles with a few key mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
I had converted a brushless Slash to a rally car in a past life and am looking to get back into it.
Do it.

Quote:
The xv01 is a nightmare. Terrible design, collected dirt like no other, and just a pain to wrench on.
Agreed, body looks good and that's about it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Looking forward to seeing those pics, great to hear the 4-tec works well as a rally car!

I'd much rather have a rally car than a touring car...
X2, pitchers!

Ya, had a touring car, sold it after couple months as it was kinda boring, Rally rocks! Love your Subaru body choice too.

Edit: can easily make inner fenders to stop most junk from getting onto chasssis (and painted looks very realistic), I've used automotive 1:1 empty windshield washer fluid bottles with good success. They are cheap, flex during crashes and scuffed/cleaned and painted with lexan paint work well.

Last edited by Natedog; 11-20-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have a bunch of spare 12mm hex hubs with various offsets laying around to correct that. Waiting to get the time to paint my Subaru Impreza body before I figure out what looks best. Right now I’m running the stock setup with a carrera gt body that I had laying around.

Will get pics up when I get a chance.
If you have time, could you check if a wheel with an inner diameter of 1.72" or 43.7mm would clear the suspension components?

I am thinking these 1.9" x 21mm wide wheels would make for a cool retro rally build:

With these tires (Height: 93mm or 3.6 inch - Width: 24mm or 0.94 inch):

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Bpw

Hey there, I did a 2.0 4rrech rally as well. Agreed super fun! What shocks did you use and do your dog bones pop out once in a while? Mime do I got gpm cvd's but still happens. Stupid fun car!
Bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #12

Hi, Should i go for a tekno Sct410.3 or make your 4tec 2.0 conversion?
Both you can make like rally cars...
Antos74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

also thinking about doing a rally conversion to an old associated TC3.

4tech seems like a natural modern choice though. awesome! i will have to check out those shocks you suggested.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Photos?

haha, I was going to ask about the XV01, but I think I got the answer now

Thanx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #15

I'm building a XV-01, I'll see if it is a good car

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
lucadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Finally satisfied with a rally car.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM