Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: 4 TEC Rally conversion vs XV01 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

Default 4 TEC Rally conversion vs XV01 questions

I’ve been a rally nut since before group B (but group B is still my favorite era)
I’ve once again gotten the bug to have a rally car. Can anyone who has either got both, driven both or seen both an XV01 and a 4 TEC converted to rally spec let me know which they prefer and why?
Funds are pretty tight so I can’t just do both and decide.
I want the car to look awesome, so I really don’t want to have to hack up a body to get it to fit. I’d also like to try and drive it like a rally car. Using proper techniques like pendulum and brake turns and of course going sideways, so getting a car to handle well will be important too.
The XV01 I know will be able to run the Quattro body I wanna to use.
It also seems pretty quiet. The running videos I’ve seen make it seem like a good choice. But I can’t help worrying about the toughness of the plastics they use. That being said Turtle seemed pleased with his.
Traxxas feels like it’s going to be tougher. My main concern is making absolutely sure it will be able to take the Tamiya Audi Quattro body without hacking it up.

Any informed opinions to help me choose would be appreciated.

Thanks all
Genghis Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 4 TEC Rally conversion vs XV01 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Ken View Post
I’ve been a rally nut since before group B (but group B is still my favorite era)

I’ve once again gotten the bug to have a rally car. Can anyone who has either got both, driven both or seen both an XV01 and a 4 TEC converted to rally spec let me know which they prefer and why?

Funds are pretty tight so I can’t just do both and decide.

I want the car to look awesome, so I really don’t want to have to hack up a body to get it to fit. I’d also like to try and drive it like a rally car. Using proper techniques like pendulum and brake turns and of course going sideways, so getting a car to handle well will be important too.

The XV01 I know will be able to run the Quattro body I wanna to use.

It also seems pretty quiet. The running videos I’ve seen make it seem like a good choice. But I can’t help worrying about the toughness of the plastics they use. That being said Turtle seemed pleased with his.

Traxxas feels like it’s going to be tougher. My main concern is making absolutely sure it will be able to take the Tamiya Audi Quattro body without hacking it up.

Any informed opinions to help me choose would be appreciated.

Thanks all

I can say that I love my XV01. Super smooth and quiet. So much fun sliding around. It drives like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Hipsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:52 AM   #3

Thanks for responding. I’m glad you like the XV01, I have to admit I was leaning that way. I like how quiet it is and Tamiya seem to support their cars for a looongtime. That was one of the things that was a plus on the Traxxas side as well, they haven’t reinvented their cars and stopped supporting the old versions, I can still get every single part for my Slashes if I need them.

Is your XV01 stock or have you modified it? Also what motor are you running?

Thanks
KK
Old 11-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

XV was a fun car, I just traded off mine. Never had any problems with it from a durability standpoint, the belts are well enclosed and the gears are pretty tough.

Handling-wise, it was an interesting car to drive. Coming into turns, it wanted to rotate hard... especially if you were off throttle. But as soon as you were back on throttle, it pulled out of turns like a freight train, in whatever direction you were steering with no drama and no fuss. Very different from most of my other cars. Once you got the hang of it, you could make some super fast turns.

I had converted mime to on-road eventually and it was a fun, if a bit tricky at times car to drive. The corner entry oversteer that works so good on dirt makes it a bit exciting getting around a road course. Had to stay on your toes. Highly recommended!!

I've never driven or seen a Traxxas car in person, so I cannot comment on it. They look nice though for sure.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

I pulled the trigger, I’m getting an XV01. Thanks for your input.

4 TEC Rally conversion vs XV01 questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Rally Car?? XV01 or WR8 FLux Phoenix76 Rally 30 10-29-2013 05:20 PM