Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Turtle's Modified XV-01

Finally picked one up.

I started assembling it earlier today.

First thing I noticed is the four nylon gears that go into the sealed diffs.
I put 5K in the front diff and 3K in the rear diff.

Everything is plastic, but seems really stout.

There was one gear that worried me a little, it sits on one of the shafts on a hexagon section, it seemed to have a little play, but in the end its probably not as bad as I think.

One thing I am really impressed with is the thickness of the motor plate and the bracing on the transmission.

Front gear box assembled.

Front gear box completely assembled with a Castle Creations 4 pole 5700 motor.

I will get more photos of the progress tomorrow.

-Ty
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Awesome!! Been looking forward to a build on this new chassis subbed! What "modified" plans do you have on the way?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Awesome!! Been looking forward to a build on this new chassis subbed!
Thanks I have too. So far this kit looks amazing, everything looks really durable. And surprisingly the plastic even seems different, almost more like nylon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
What "modified" plans do you have on the way?
The big one is going to be 3.5" or 4" shocks.

But I am sure more will come as I learn this car.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'll be watching this one for sure.

I started to assemble mine tonite also, so I'll be paying attention for any insight or tips.

Side note/question......what's up with Tamiya and all the Phillips head hardware?
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
I'll be watching this one for sure.

I started to assemble mine tonite also, so I'll be paying attention for any insight or tips.

Side note/question......what's up with Tamiya and all the Phillips head hardware?
I was just talking about this with some one else today. I think one day Tamiya will get with the times and switch to Allen heads. But I have to say I put about 10 allen head screws on the kit today that were supplied and that is 10 more then I have ever seen in a Tamiya kit.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The one thing I was impressed with when I built mine was at least they're 3mm machine threads now, not the old style self tappers.
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
The one thing I was impressed with when I built mine was at least they're 3mm machine threads now, not the old style self tappers.
Yeah that is nice, they don't hold as well, but when its time to upgrade parts at least now you don't have to replace the hardware too.

So this is how this rig was sitting this morning when I went out to the shop.

With the differentials in everything else went together pretty quickly.

The Savox 1251MG low profile servo leaves a lot of room in the chassis.

I trimmed part of the battery cover to clear the wires.

Bottom loading battery.

The XV-01 is reasonably sealed up. I can see a few places where dirt will get in, but for a factory job it is pretty good.

I built the shocks with 45 weight oil in the front, 30 weight oil in the rear and the longer rod ends on the shaft. The belly clearance is about 1" and the car is a little springy. Tomorrow I am going to start playing with the suspension, get the belly clearance down to 3/4" and go from there.

I did take this for a little tarmac test drive today. It is pretty fantastic, basically I was really impressed and this is the best driving 10th scale rally car I have ever driven. I have a little bit of tuning to do, like addressing the understeer and springy suspension, but overall it is incredibly smooth and stable.

-Ty
Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hey Ty, got a concern my man, I finished assembly also and the belt seems really taunt, the adjustment is slid down all the way to loose setting, but I'm just not sure.

Never had a belt driven car before so I'm a little cocerned. I'm talking banjo string taunt brother.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Hey Ty, got a concern my man, I finished assembly also and the belt seems really taunt, the adjustment is slid down all the way to loose setting, but I'm just not sure.

Never had a belt driven car before so I'm a little cocerned. I'm talking banjo string taunt brother.
Sounds like something is wrong there. It shouldn't be that tight. My tensioner was set all the way up at first (no tension). I just put a little in it after the first run because it sounded like the belt was skipping a little. There should definitely be some deflection in the belt. Make sure it is sitting on the gears properly, its not hitting anything and there are no twists.

If you are still having issues post some photos with the belt covers off so we can see what is going on.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply my man.

I figured it out, a little embarrassing but it's my first kit and first belt driven car. I had the belt riding over top of the double bearing adjuster,duh,instead of it riding over the top part of the belt.

What the heck, live and learn right?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the reply my man.

I figured it out, a little embarrassing but it's my first kit and first belt driven car. I had the belt riding over top of the double bearing adjuster,duh,instead of it riding over the top part of the belt.

What the heck, live and learn right?
Glad you figured it out man. Sounds like a simple mistake.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #12

Played with the suspension today, put the shorter rod ends on and went to a 70 weight oil front, 50 weight oil rear with the 3 hole pistons. I think it is still too springy. After a test session tomorrow I will figure out if it needs the one hole or two hole piston.

I did get the belly down to 3/4" rear and 5/8" front. The front has quiet a bit of weight on it causing the front to droop down a little I am still planning to switch out the shocks, but need to get some drive time on it so I know exactly what I am needing.

I also worked on painting the body today, I almost went with the stock paint then decided I needed a new paint scheme for the 2013 CRC series and this body was the perfect one to play with some ideas.

And yes I just happened to have extra functional tail light and head light buckets sitting around.

I still have a few more decals to put on, but the body is pretty close. Tomorrow I should be getting some dirt action photos.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I did take this for a little tarmac test drive today. It is pretty fantastic, basically I was really impressed and this is the best driving 10th scale rally car I have ever driven. I have a little bit of tuning to do, like addressing the understeer and springy suspension, but overall it is incredibly smooth and stable.

-Ty
Interesting. I took mine for its first run today. On Tarmac only, but found it to be very taily. A LOT of oversteer. A few possible causes: Tires; Extremely top heavy body (inner body); and the lack of droop in the suspension settings. I think the heavy front end drops under braking/steering, then with no droop at the rear, the rear lifts resulting in no traction. Will try different spring/oil combos over time.....
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Interesting...mine seems to understeer, though let off a touch and it tucks right in. Factory setting all around except 60wt oil on all 4 corners. Do have the pirellis ilo the rally bocks though. Darn good driving car.

Turtle - looking great!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Paint looks fantastic!!!!

How does it drive with the motor up front? I bet that feels different.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

have any of you guys raced or just drove really fast with your 1:1 cars? got to remember this is going to act more closely to a real life car then any other because the motor and weight are up front. being so much weight up front and the front wheels also having power, oversteer is probably going to be normal or common. just think of this rc as a real size car and what you would do to correct it.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Got mine together and RTR this morning finally!

Short spin in front of the house and thru a couple drive ways...I think I'm going to like it. Would it be wrong to fasten 2.5 oz of lead weight to the rear to help balance out the weight bias??

IMO the installed CC 5700 on 2s is way more power than this thing needs, 3s would be ridiculous. IDK how you all drive these little things off road on 3s, lol! Sorry for the personal rambling.

Ty, really like the paint job. I love the splatter effect you do and this recent color combo is right on my man!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looks good. Glad to hear they are living up to expectations. Would drag brake help with the under steer? Looks like that would transfer weight to the front when you let off the throttle and help it turn.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Interesting. I took mine for its first run today. On Tarmac only, but found it to be very taily. A LOT of oversteer. A few possible causes: Tires; Extremely top heavy body (inner body); and the lack of droop in the suspension settings. I think the heavy front end drops under braking/steering, then with no droop at the rear, the rear lifts resulting in no traction. Will try different spring/oil combos over time.....
Huh, Even again today it was still understeering when on the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Interesting...mine seems to understeer, though let off a touch and it tucks right in. Factory setting all around except 60wt oil on all 4 corners. Do have the pirellis ilo the rally bocks though. Darn good driving car.

Turtle - looking great!
That does help, I let off then hit it again and I can get the rear to spin out (in a good way)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1800 View Post
Paint looks fantastic!!!!

How does it drive with the motor up front? I bet that feels different.
Feels different in the best way possible. Really easy to drive and great driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
have any of you guys raced or just drove really fast with your 1:1 cars? got to remember this is going to act more closely to a real life car then any other because the motor and weight are up front. being so much weight up front and the front wheels also having power, oversteer is probably going to be normal or common. just think of this rc as a real size car and what you would do to correct it.
I have driven many cars balls to the wall, and this car doesn't drive anything like a real car. This car will do whatever you want when ever you want. The forward weight bias of this car while it may seem similar to a real is not similar at all.

Quote:
Got mine together and RTR this morning finally!

Short spin in front of the house and thru a couple drive ways...I think I'm going to like it. Would it be wrong to fasten 2.5 oz of lead weight to the rear to help balance out the weight bias??

IMO the installed CC 5700 on 2s is way more power than this thing needs, 3s would be ridiculous. IDK how you all drive these little things off road on 3s, lol! Sorry for the personal rambling.

Ty, really like the paint job. I love the splatter effect you do and this recent color combo is right on my man!
I thought about adding weight to the rear at first and it may help on the tarmac, in the dirt this car handles perfect just the way it is... At least for me.

Im running the 5700 on 2 cell and love it awesome punch, smooth low end, and great top end. I have 3 of these motors in several of my rally cars and it stays the coolest and works best in the XV-01. Ran a whole 3800mah 2 cell battery today in the dirt and the motor was maybe 130 degrees, really good for 20-30 minutes of driving.

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
Looks good. Glad to hear they are living up to expectations. Would drag brake help with the under steer? Looks like that would transfer weight to the front when you let off the throttle and help it turn.
It might, but for my style of off road driving I don't think I need it. Off road with this car I use a on-off style of throttle through the corners that helps spit the rear end around.

Had a great time at HOON 470 today with Rodney, we tested the car in several conditions and learned the cars handling characteristics. Right now the plan is to go to 3.5" shocks front and rear and use Losi buggy springs to get them working right.

I will start on the photos and get you guys some action.

Thanks for all the input guys!

-Ty
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Turtle,
Are there two different XV-01 cars? I heard that Tamiya was releasing a pro kit that has a few aluminum goodies but I can't seem to find anything about it. Have you heard anything?

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM