Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > RC Rock Crawling Worlds

Notices

Thread: ProMoFo wants to cover the Nats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #1

Default ProMoFo wants to cover the Nats

I've been thinking about going to Moab a lot lately. When I lived in Colorado I went there often at least once a quarter usually more. A buddy of mine reminded me of this comp and it fit nicely with my plans to go on a short vacation in Sept. Thing I need to know is who is in charge so I can ask permission to cover the event? I usually don't run into problems but I always like to ask before showing up in case there are sponsor issues etc. Too far to drive and not come home with some tape. So if someone can fill me in as to who to contact I'll see if I can put this together.

Griz
Griz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

email me at jason@rccrawler.com
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #3

Default Ok I sent you an e-mail

e-mail sent

Griz
Old 07-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #4

I have followed this guys video's the past year and he is TOP NOTCH at video and editing. GRIZ you have my vote for sure! Look at this guys vids and you will know who's king.
robertrocha6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #5

Default Thanks

Thanks much appreciated. I've been checking out some other vids from the past events and it looks fairly straightforward to video this type of activity. Looks like you could use a tripod or monopod most of the time for those extra sharp shots. But the varizoom rig will probably be the best thing as its proven time and time again. No need to pick it up and move it as you pretty much wear it. It will be much easier to get up close and personal with the crawlers on the course as they aren't travelling nearly as fast as most of the stuff I shoot. One thing I haven't seen yet in the vids I've been finding is up close shooting where you can see the suspension working etc. Multiple cameras will enhance this as well. Mount a camera on a tripod to catch the overall action and go in close up with the XL2 for the detail stuff. Then use some of the slow motion software and pan and zoom on the images to get that really close up detailed view of everything the crawler is enduring on the run. Burns a lot of tape and its a real pain to resynch it all up once you have it on the computer. In the real world they have a central time source that all the cameras get their timecode off of. Then the editor program will do it all for you automatically. I can get close by using a loud sound of some kind. Usually I use the start horn to synch stuff up. Its easy to find in the audio tracks. Once you have that done its awesome to edit using multiple cameras. At any given moment you have 2 or 3 views in addition to the one you shot handheld. Opens up lots of possibilities for cool editing tricks. You can get a good look at the varizoom and the XL2 in this pic my wife shot when I was filming the SCCA regional in Okla in the spring.

I had an all access pass so I could go up into the corner worker bunkers to shoot. Man was that exciting. You are so close to the cars its awesome. Wish it wasn't so far up there I'd go a couple of times a month. The lens on the XL2 is equivalent to a 1083mm on a 35mm camera. I don't have to be anywhere close to something to see every knick on it

Griz
Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #6

Default getting close to time

Jason I haven't heard back from you. Its getting close to time to hit the road. I gotta make reservations and such if this is a go.

Griz
Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
R.I.P. Chip

Go baby go!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Wheres this guys videos @ Was he there
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper