Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Build a Bully For Under $50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Build a Bully For Under $50

I don't like to cut a lot of corners when building a comp rig, but having just spent a pile of money on my motorbike this summer, cash was running thin. With just three weeks until the first comp of our fall season, I had to get this truck running with little or no money spent. Also, because this build is done with so little money out, I decided to start my own thread because Cone-Joe wanted to charge me "Thread Rent" for hijacking his build thread....with comments of my progress.....thanks Rich.....

Since I got the axles on "credit" from my father-in-law (thanks Art [aka: bikedad on RCC]) who somehow managed to have a complete set of bully axles lying around his house, that money was not needed right away. My AX10-SWX was sitting there with all manner of relatively new parts that only had nine comps on them from spring season, so I was ok for servo, one Momba Max ESC, Castle BEC, one Ingegy 65t motor, and wheels.

All I needed was another Castle ESC. Art pulled through again with a spare Sidewinder he had lying around in the same pile of spares the axles were in. I had another 65T Integy motor, which I had lying around from all my motor flip-flops for my Super.

All I needed then was a chassis. I called local crawling hero and all-round good guy, John the MTHead and asked if he had any Skeeter chassis ready for delivery. He did and he even knocked me off a couple dollars because I say nice things about him from time to time. I might have to add the Fubar logo to my next paint project. The chassis is the only money I have spent on this project so far.

That's it, thanks to scavenging my old rig, and some nice lending from the father-in-law, all I spent was $40 to get this rig running.....of course later in the month, I have to pay-up for the axles, I have to buy another couple of bodies and paint them up, I have to buy another Momba Max ESC to replace the loaner Sidewinder I have now.

After a little bit (a lot) of link making and some other work, Wa-La! Done!

I liked the high steering I'd seen in a few other builds around here. Had to give it a bit of a bend to get it around the servo arm.

Links have to bend every which way to get around the gearboxes, under the chassis crossmembers and back to the mount points at a decent angle, but the work is well worth it.

The ash tray is full, the truck is ready for testing and tuning. Let's roll.

This is what's left of a great AX10/SWX build. Looks patheticlly like Mousollini hanging up there....but screw it, I'm tired of finishing amoung the top AX10's behind 10 MOA's at our comps.

blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Hateraide

but really thats actually more than 50 dollars because you still have to account for the parts, but otherwise looks like a great rig
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

she drives well!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice job, love the multi-bend links, they look very 'factory'.

2x
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post

2x

yeah i was wanting to know who was making the kit for the links lol good job truck came out great the more and more i use my bullys the more i love them i hope you like them as much as i do
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
but really thats actually more than 50 dollars because you still have to account for the parts, but otherwise looks like a great rig
Nickeling and dime-ing me, are you? Quibbling with me in my own thread, eh?

Kidding asisde, of course this is a MUCH more expensive rig. But due to the financial nature of this month, I pleased that I have been able to build this rig with less than $50.....and I could barely afford that at the time. Past rigs cost me hundreds and that was using everything from my old rig that was still viable. That was my fear with this build and I was wondering how I was going to do it before our 9-13 season opener.

After I get this rig paid up and new parts replacing the scavenged parts over the next month, I plan to put the AX 10 back together and keep it around as a "recruitment" truck. We do that with our old rigs here in Phoenix.....
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
she drives well!
She do!! She do!! Did anyone have a camera or roll some video at the GTG yesterday? I'd like to post some "drives well" proof here.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post

2x
Thanks!!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkuup5150 View Post
yeah i was wanting to know who was making the kit for the links lol good job truck came out great the more and more i use my bullys the more i love them i hope you like them as much as i do
So far, been out once at our club's Judges Training GTG yesterday and it was a dream. Springs need a little tweaking, but otherwise couldn't find a fault. I love these axles and this chassis.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks great. The 50.00 tag brought me in. Thought maybe you had got a set from a pawnshop or something.

Looks good.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Are you controlling the front and rear seperately, or running the esc's simultaneously? Do you fly anything?
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACCO View Post
Are you controlling the front and rear seperately, or running the esc's simultaneously? Do you fly anything?
I don't fly, but I do use a stick radio and can control the front and rear separately. I have the DX6 set up to run both ESC's together on the right stick, along with steering, then when I switch into dig, the ESC's are separate, right for front, left for rear.

Been running for a few years this way on my Super, with rear steer on the left.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Nice job on the links Jim!
conejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue10 View Post
I don't fly, but I do use a stick radio and can control the front and rear separately. I have the DX6 set up to run both ESC's together on the right stick, along with steering, then when I switch into dig, the ESC's are separate, right for front, left for rear.

Been running for a few years this way on my Super, with rear steer on the left.
You answered my question perfectly. Been wantin to try dual esc's, but aint got 4pk money.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote