Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: ~53 Willys 2010 Fubar Bully Build~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Mean looking set up 53 I like the front end especially great engineering looks like you even have room for the tires.

Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #122
RCC Addict

I like this setup. I'm going to run this on my rig, I will incorporate it into the Bully ultra light weight axle mod thread. If no one minds.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Mean looking set up 53 I like the front end especially great engineering looks like you even have room for the tires.
thanks man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
I like this setup. I'm going to run this on my rig, I will incorporate it into the Bully ultra light weight axle mod thread. If no one minds.
I know don't mind...that's what I posted it for..
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

made a few changes...
wanted to get my battery to fit with out touching my links...
this thin piece of delrin makes it so I can just bend the delrin down and load the battery from the bottom...I should have grabbed a pic of that.

I also bought some of these JPH 41T motorshttp://www.jphracing.com/JPH_Crawler_Motors.cfm...I like how the brushes use big compression style springs and round brushes.... I also noticed they have some REALLY REALLY nice clean winds just from looking into the vents and ends..
I went with 41t's....ever since I geared down and volted up I feel the 35t's are little fast...

Sedonas...I'm liking them more then I thought I would with what small run times I have on them..
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #125
I wanna be Dave

Looking good... You need to protect the motor. CP's are real easy to snag and pull brushes out.

Other then that... Looks sweet... I like what you did with your Servo.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Looking good... You need to protect the motor. CP's are real easy to snag and pull brushes out.

Other then that... Looks sweet... I like what you did with your Servo.
thanks JP....what snags on these anymore then a regular motor?? it feels and looks like the brushes are more protected on CP motors if anything....
I would not mind some cralwer1 Teflon motor skidz....they seem to be really slick...but not sure they can really help the motor ends.....
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #127
I wanna be Dave

I pulled one at Crawlaplooza 3yrs ago. I used to sell a bunch of the CP's and that was a Common issue was all. The wire is what needs to be protected and tucked away.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I pulled one at Crawlaplooza 3yrs ago. I used to sell a bunch of the CP's and that was a Common issue was all. The wire is what needs to be protected and tucked away.
I will keep an yey on them but they dont seem anymore exposed then my regular motors..
thanks for the tip
Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #129
RCC Addict

Its looks clean ....... a little too clean, you guys run out of dirt in Utah or something?

Looks great man, you going to the St George comp sunday? i want to check it out.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
Its looks clean ....... a little too clean, you guys run out of dirt in Utah or something?

Looks great man, you going to the St George comp sunday? i want to check it out.
thanks Chris...yeah we got mud and dirt...I had it all muddy before the pics...but I cleaned her off I hate mud on my 1:1 and my rc crawlers..it's to much work to clean up...

what club has got a Sunday saint george comp??
I probably wont make it back to red rock country until the AWCCQ in march with the 801 crew...
Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

went out and did some fun running today before work....I like the sedonas...something I dont like is all the bouncing the BIG lugs give you...I found myself having to slow way down and really try to creep up things...they went everywhere I asked excpet on one really steep climb they got out climbed by some white rovers..I think it was more because the other rig had a way heaver front end then me and I has having a hard time keeping my front end down...
also installed my CC BEC again.....ahhhhhhh it's nice to have some killer servo power and speed again so yeah on 4s lipo the HH BR=XL BEC is little weak...but I dont care the smooth control the HH esc's provid is worth the extra size and throwing a CC BEC in a rig is easy and weight's nothing anyway.

these new JPH motors are BUTTER SMOOTH!!!! I really like them!! if they last/hold up they will be my new favorites I think..
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #132
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
thanks Chris...yeah we got mud and dirt...I had it all muddy before the pics...but I cleaned her off I hate mud on my 1:1 and my rc crawlers..it's to much work to clean up...

what club has got a Sunday saint george comp??
I probably wont make it back to red rock country until the AWCCQ in march with the 801 crew...
I dunno what club. I cant keep them straight in Utah anymore, i just get a phone call ''hey we are going to a comp up in the st george, wanna go?" so i jump in the truck and we go. lol.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Default ~Still tweaking and tuning~

been trying to get some packs through this thing with my new tires and still pretty new rig...I made some changes to get my rig lower to the ground and still have some good link and suspension movement..before this I could not get a fully compressed shock it was limited by the upper links and shock braces or the rear motor since it's clocked so much.....now I can compress all I want and it will suck down LOW...but it's also never grows past 12.5"....
some of you are probably thinking ...WTF..ha

compressed..

had to make some clearances..hehe

Front

Rear

lowered the shock with a new home drilled 3mm hole..then had to shave the top 2 holes off for cup clearance..

I also found my solution for a super small punchy 4s lipo(after making a thread in the electronics section and getting some great advice from the forum members)...I was sick of smoking china lipos...I don't know some would last but most did not..I have had Thunder power lipos in the past and they work and last for many more cycles then any of my china lipos...yeah they are a bit more money then a china lipo but they make up for it in PUNCH/Biggest C rating I could find...cycles..size and reliability.
I knew Jason at Krawler hobbies was selling TP lipos and decided to get with him on getting the sizes I wanted/needed(gotta support the RCC vendors)

couple pm's later and I had 4 of theses babies on the way..
http://krawlerhobbies.1freecart.com/i/141758/thunder-power-pro45-2s-850mah-45c-90c-lipo.htm]

Jason did a great job quick shipping and also returned my pm's in quick order..thanks for the help Jason! I will be grabbing some more 2s lipos from you for my sons mini LST

any way here are some pics...these lipos are TINY!!!!!!! they almost look like scale lipos or something..
very light weight

I'm gonna run these 2s lipos in series to get my small 4s...so I taped them together and this is what they look like compared to my china 1500mah 3S..

next to my 4s china lipo..

4s china vs 2sx2 thunder power

they fit in the front links great...with the new link placement...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

Hello,

the master of links strikes back

Those Lipos are really tiny and 45C, that's awesome...

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

Looking good man, Whats your belly at full ride height and fully compressed?
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

Looking good 53. Did you end up busting a hole through the cases? I know there is not a hole lotta meat there. I'm actually running the same lipo that you converted into 4 cell but running the 3 cell version. Thats a good idea putting them together like that. I just got a maxamps 1100mah 4cell a couple of days ago and was very suprised at how small it is. Loving the 4cell on 35T's but I am thinkin it is maybe a little much. Prob gonna try puttin the 45T's in with 4cell. But I love the maxamps lipos just not the price. But had to try one, those 1100mah packs are even on sale, but still expensive. Anyways looking good like the idea of the links over the cross brace.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frank View Post
Hello,

the master of links strikes back

Those Lipos are really tiny and 45C, that's awesome...

Greetings Frank
haha thanks Frank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atekt View Post
Looking good man, Whats your belly at full ride height and fully compressed?
now I'm 3" at the front of the skid
1.5" fully compressed

the 3" ride height on this chassis is lower then you think...if you had a regular chassis set-up like this it would not be sitting at 3" of clearance..it would be more like 2.0"-2.5" with both chassis having the electronics in the same place(below the tires)
this was how I wanted it the whole time it was just taking some tuning to get every placed where I wanted it so it would actually work....I might even lower it some more for the 801 series..we don't seem to need much belly clearance with their course's..but when I run in rojos and axial westCC I seem to want more GC..hoping this chassis will bring the best of both worlds....super low center of gravity with low mounted electronics..but also days of skid clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
Looking good 53. Did you end up busting a hole through the cases? I know there is not a hole lotta meat there. I'm actually running the same lipo that you converted into 4 cell but running the 3 cell version. Thats a good idea putting them together like that. I just got a maxamps 1100mah 4cell a couple of days ago and was very suprised at how small it is. Loving the 4cell on 35T's but I am thinkin it is maybe a little much. Prob gonna try puttin the 45T's in with 4cell. But I love the maxamps lipos just not the price. But had to try one, those 1100mah packs are even on sale, but still expensive. Anyways looking good like the idea of the links over the cross brace.
yeah I ground right inside the front case...the rear is not busted through just the front....no worries though I'm just gonna slap some more black duct tape on the case and RUN IT!
I love 4s lipos!! BUT 35t on 4s is to wicked fast for me..I stepped down to these 41t motors and I'm MUCH MUCH happier with 4s
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Maybe you could ruff up the out side a bit, put some tape on the "inside" of the case, and then slap some JB weld on the outer area. Once it's dry, you could remove the tape and spead on some black RTV. Just a thought.

Maybe I missed something, but did you clock the rear re-drilling the case, or the axle flange?

PS, I'm gonna add that gear case shave to the tips sticky, that's great for getting some needed clearence.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Maybe you could ruff up the out side a bit, put some tape on the "inside" of the case, and then slap some JB weld on the outer area. Once it's dry, you could remove the tape and spead on some black RTV. Just a thought.

Maybe I missed something, but did you clock the rear re-drilling the case, or the axle flange?

PS, I'm gonna add that gear case shave to the tips sticky, that's great for getting some needed clearence.
I'm really not too worried about the hole in the front case..bully gears are bomb proof in the 2.2 app so even if I get some grit in there I dont think it will hurt any thing.. unless the black duct tape does not stick well I will just tape it..lol:-P jb weld...sounds like a lotta extra weight.....hahaha
most guys wont be into grinding the gear case and will likely just use spacers to get my clearance...but in the front I did not want to do that because it would cause more shock/tires issues at full steering lock.

my rear axle is not clocked by any other way then just longer upper links....I don't really see a reason to re-drill anything on the rear...just tilt it up with some longer uppers
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #140
Quarry Creeper

Love the link setup, it has a cool look to it!

Can you get a picture of the suspension articulated, I am having trouble imagining the movement of the rear axle in my head?

-Lex
Lextronix is offline   Reply With Quote