Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: My girls Husker Bully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Got this together but I'm not having much luck in it being what it should. I put my FXR/PUNK dig combo in it (was working fine, and now I can't get the front to engage the wheels when the rear is locked up.
I also lost 90% rear servo power after about 3min. testing.
I'm wondering if the BEC gave up on my since I had smoke out of it to begin with.
Atleast if I had good rear steering I wouldn't mind the dig issue since using rear steer with rear dig worked pretty good.

But, for a few short minutes, this thing turned and drove AWESOME!!!
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Made a little head way today on the electronics, I found the CC BEC to be at fault. It would ficker the light anytime I tried to turn and seemed REALLY dim even when not. I talked to Greg at CC, and he said that when powering the servo directly, ONLY the power wires need to be connected to each other and that the signal AND ground wires should both go to the rx. He's sending me a new one and a return mailer today tho.
As far as the Punk Dig goes, I'm really at a loss as to what's wrong. I'm sure at this point it's NOT the Punk unit since when I reversed the 4th ch. on the 4PL, it would then give me front dig but now no rear. this is SO frustrating since I can hear the relays click and depending on the REV of the radio I can get all the dig operations to work, but only 2 at a time.

(Im wondering if it's the radio's capability to communicate.)

Needless to say, I'm powering the rear 7955 servo strait through the rx with no problems and it's got plenty of holding power. Not counting the dig functions not working like I want them too, this thing's REALLY fun to drive with all the steering options of the 4PL.
2.2 unlimited class here I come.

Last edited by Krakker; 01-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Me REALLY like-a dis rig!
This thing is flat out awesome to drive. Bring on the 2.2 unlimited class.
I still need to make some side panels, but after getting the 4PL settings figured out to work the Punk dig unit as well as the twin steering servos I've had a lot of smiles from the girl. She's been driving this thing all over the house. Can't wait to get some nice weather so we get some rock time in or head to the indoor hobbytown track. With all the different steering capabilities you barely need dig functions.
I ended up using the stock Berg wheels that I narrowed to .750 out back to clear the shocks at full lock. Rovers are a pretty combo for this rigs steering clearence. Both axles have positive caster and with the scrub radius of the rear axle it seems to be turning sharper, so the stock setup out back could be a bennefit.

Even with a second steering axle and both shaved gear cases being cast, it weights in at just 6.33 lbs.
It's running 45T motors with a 12-13 pinion combo and the front wheels are weighted so we'll have to see how well it takes inclines.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Today's shake down run was "almost" a complete success.
Weight bias was really good, the steering was almost perfect. Running the rear servo through the rx wasn't working full time and if got into a bind it would stall everything, so it looks like I'll be adding in the new BEC for the rear servo anyway.
She did pretty good for her first run with the unlimited Bully, even tho she ran with a DQ for the rear steer, the rig was a total blast.
Dig functions with the dual steering made the courses pretty easy. I wish I could have driven it for my run. It would be great to have a 2.2 unlimited class since there's really no terrain for supers around here.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Looks good Rory, she should be lovin' this rig! Looks like a lot of fun to drive with that rear steer.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Very lucky little girl!

I've got a newbe question for ya.

How do you control the rear steering?
SI10 LAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI10 LAN View Post
Very lucky little girl!

I've got a newbe question for ya.

How do you control the rear steering?
I had planned on using a dual steering computer from Punk RC (I still got it) I ended up getting a Futaba 4PL instead for her, it has 4 steering functions but you have to cycle through them in sequence. the 4PL controls the mixing of the steering functions for front, crab, mixed, (I call it dime) and rear.

With Punks computer, you can control the same functions but you can only use 3 of them from a 3ch radio if it's got a 3pos. switch.

Having just 3 different modes of steering AND F/R digs is Awesome. It truely makes crawling a higher level of COOL when you can pull impossible lines and gates. Mixed with 35T motors for a little wheels speed is nice too.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the explaination! One more for you if you don't mind?

Could you use an old 4 channel(or more with added radio BUTTONS) stick radio to control this car?

What I mean is left stick controls the front axle...push forward to go forward. pull back to go back and then left and right as normal.

Then use the right stick to do the same but with the rear axle?

Seems like it would give you the best control but I can see where it might take a while to learn how to drive it also. a six channel could be used to add dig's and what not with the buttons on it.

Thanks again. That is an awesome car!
SI10 LAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI10 LAN View Post
Thanks for the explaination! One more for you if you don't mind?

Could you use an old 4 channel(or more with added radio BUTTONS) stick radio to control this car?

What I mean is left stick controls the front axle...push forward to go forward. pull back to go back and then left and right as normal.

Then use the right stick to do the same but with the rear axle?

Seems like it would give you the best control but I can see where it might take a while to learn how to drive it also. a six channel could be used to add dig's and what not with the buttons on it.

Thanks again. That is an awesome car!
Lots of people use stick radios to control their rigs. You could do exactly what you described.

I did get some new shoes for it to go with the new Eritex wheels. Although they're on the rear, they show the track width and how well they work with stock Bully fronts while clearing the shocks/links.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My girls Husker Bully

Well, after suffering through some boredom, this rig had a complete tear down and rebuild. rewired and rerouted electronics and adjusted everything for some shakedown runs before benching it while the girl focuses on college.
Since she's going away to Chiropractic school next year, we've decided to sell it for school funds or more Jeep upgrades. (She drives a 99 Cherokee with 33's and air lockers..... )Rig is in the for sale section now, I'm not posting anymore pics since I only visit here to see the crawling news and check out some threads, but I really miss crawling. Someday the job and life will allow me to get back in the game.

FYI: There have been some SUPER cool bully II builds I've watched. Yall keep up the good work.