Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Servo Mount and High Clearance Steering Arm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I think what I might do is just make a new one, using Lance's as a template. I just need to make it a little narrower and not have any oxtra overhang towards the motor. Mine has both of these issues. I just need to get some delrin plate tomorrow and I'll see what I can do. Unfortunatley, even if a new one would be sent to me I would have to wait another 3 weeks because of cross border shipping. The idea is very sound and it looks like it works for almost everyone who has them but I am most definatley having some issues. I was going to just make this on my own but saw this one so thought I'd just save myself some time.

I just looked at that picture again and noticed that the servo case is already cracked anyway. And it's not the ear I would need to cut off so now cutting that tab off is out of the question.
I would just get some delrin and do it myself too but I have no way to get any except getting off the net. I am not gonna go that route. Hopefully the guys at JP will fix it and send it to me.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #102
RCC Addict

I had to cut the back of the mount off and the holes are little to wide for my 7955. Now i am running SCX10 shocks so it would have cleared if i had been running these shocks from the beginning. You definanty can't run the shocks in the lower hole.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
I had to cut the back of the mount off and the holes are little to wide for my 7955. Now i am running SCX10 shocks so it would have cleared if i had been running these shocks from the beginning. You definanty can't run the shocks in the lower hole.
It seems everyone has to trim the back of the mount to clear the shock cap. My holes were on. You may just have a dud?
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

I had zero issues as well... I have a 3mm nut used for a spacer on my Shock. I also have the shocks inverted with a Shock Cap Mod. My mount isn't shaved or cut off anywhere. I also have my shocks mounted on the lower hole as well.

I have the Same Servo as what your running. If you would like send the mount to me and I'll match it up to mine on my rig and see if it's the same. From the pic's it looks just like mine. I would do the Shock Cap mod, invert the shocks. You may have to shorten your Shocks just a hair after you do the shock Cap mod. You can use a piece of fuel tubing on the inside of the shock under the piston.

run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I had zero issues as well... I have a 3mm nut used for a spacer on my Shock. I also have the shocks inverted with a Shock Cap Mod. My mount isn't shaved or cut off anywhere. I also have my shocks mounted on the lower hole as well.

I have the Same Servo as what your running. If you would like send the mount to me and I'll match it up to mine on my rig and see if it's the same. From the pic's it looks just like mine. I would do the Shock Cap mod, invert the shocks. You may have to shorten your Shocks just a hair after you do the shock Cap mod. You can use a piece of fuel tubing on the inside of the shock under the piston.

I will send mine as soon as I can. I am kinda broke right now don't even have money for shipping. I got everything to fit except the servo only mounts up with 2 screws. The other 2 are to far over and the bolt hits right on the outside of the servo ears. I had to shave both sides and redo my holes to get it to fit on the axle though the side that goes against the gearbox I had to shave down about 2-3mm almost into the holes for the servo to mount and the other side I had to shave to clear the shock which I have no issue with.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Sorry, but I'm not sending it in. Like I said, it took 3 weeks to get it. Now if it takes that long to get down and that long to get back up only to find that there is nothing wrong with it, that was a waste of 2 1/2 months for $10 that I paid $7.50 in shipping for. Where's the monetary sense in that?

I'm not doing the shock cap mod. There should be no reason to. Like I said, I will go and build what I need. The piece I have does not work for me and I don't see that I can make it work. With the clearance that I have, it will not work so I will have to make another piece. No worries. The one I have is mis-machined and there isn't a way to fix it that I can see.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Alright Jeremy sent me an IM.

First off if you have any problems with my products no matter what retailer sold them feel free to email me direct, I don't mind discussing the issues in public, but I have an 8 month old with stomach issues that requires a lot of attention and my wife has gone pretty much insane, so I don't read the forums.

I actually had to stop this post twice to take care of the kid, so here goes again as he screams himself to sleep.

Thanks for the help run2jeepn, I'll handle it from here.

First off it would be easier to deal with this via emails, not trying to hide anything it just gets confusing with all the posts from different people in this thread.

It is possible the pieces are incorrect, I'd have to see pics, no need to send them back, I should be able to see any issues from pics of the parts.

The servo mount fits very tight but you should not have to cut anything to make it fit. I'm running Losi shocks with I think pede rod ends and it fits just fine, no need for modding the shocks or the axles, but again this is a custom part going into a custom location I can't deisgn it to fit every application nor every servo.

Now with that said it should still fit, sure you may have to shave a bit off the end depending on shock or motor but the holes should line up. If they don't than yes email me, send pics of the parts, I will get it fixed.

So as it stands:

Scottmisfits and craddock35 are having issues.

If so email me directly so we can get this worked out.

r7r@att.net include your username and a complete description of the problem, pics of the problem and pics of the part. If you ordered the part from JP include your shipping address so I have it on file.

Again I'm sorry for the troubles, unfortuanately it happens, but we will get it fixed.

Thanks again Jeremy for the headsup.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

guys that is great saport there an no one an i mean no one could ask for any better service than that

great job man i mite have to look at getting this part for my bully is for nothing else than your saport
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Just sent you an Email Lance. Thanks for the quick response on this issue. I have only dealt with better support with a small handful of companies, and I mean 3 or 4 in any different industry I have been involved with.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Email sent.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Ripper I figured thats what you would do. I just can't say I'll replace a part when it's not mine to replace. Just trying to help out. It's a tight fit , but it should fit.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

fitted mine over the weekend, shaved 2.21mm off the axle tube for the servo to drop in behind the tube (running a HighTech servo and Holmes motor with 15t pinion) I have turned my link mounts unside down to the way that RC4WD fit them on my axles which means the shock link is slightly different to a 'standard' Bully axle. Given the parts for this steering solution are delrin i just used a file to make the adjustmens so it fits.

Wouldn't eve expect a one size fits all on this since pretty everyone does something a little different to their axles and set up so nothing is standard. Not a fault of the steering solution just an evolution of the product

vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #113
RCC Addict

How many skrews do you have holding the servo on to the bracket? It looks like just one on the side by the gear case.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

I don't any nuts or screws holding the out side mount area of the servo? Are you running it that way? What holds it in place if not?
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #115
Rock Crawler

I've got two bolts in the side closest to the gear case, and the two screws in the link/shock mount support the other side, plus the axle tube one side and the motor the other side mean it doesn;t move in any direction, it's rock bloomin solid
vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #116
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Ripper I figured thats what you would do. I just can't say I'll replace a part when it's not mine to replace. Just trying to help out. It's a tight fit , but it should fit.

I'm sure there is a "That's what she said" joke in there.

Agreed as a retailer you can't just be sending out replacements.

I want to be a futaba driver when I grow up, but I managed to dig around and find a hitech servo to test fit.

Due to the lack of space for slots the servo mount has to have a bit of play.

I recommend using 3mm counter sunk screws, washers and lock nuts.

The holes will center up under a futaba 9157, but under my Hitech 5645 they are a bit off, thus the need for the washers.

We did try an alternate way of making the spacers on one run, I didn't like the finished product and through them out a few may have made it out, it gets confusing around here, during the summer I have my 3 kids with me.

We have since gone back to cutting the spacers with the CNC.

Again thanks for the support and once I get my life back in order I'll be back online pic whoring and making new products.

but again feel free to email me directly, I have two small forums along with the shop and site, so I don't get to all the forums like I used to, but I do check my email.

r7r@att.net
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Ok since no application is the same and every install is custom I'm not going to say this is how to install the mount. What I will say is this is how I installed the mount.

I cut this one just a few minutes ago, my bully was still using the original proto-type. So this is fresh off the cutter.

First off notice the holes align with the Futaba.

and not the hitech, sorry I have to go with the larger to accomodate more servo brands.

Now that doesn't mean the Hitech servos don't fit, it just means you have to center them. The screws will clamp the tabs down no matter where they come through the hole, USE WASHERS.

I used 3mm Counter sunk screws, 3mm washers and 3mm locks, this hardware is not provided in the kit.

Ok back to the install, I'm not covering the axle modifications just the install, so here is the axle all modded and ready, excuse the dirt, she's waiting for a complete rebuild with a new chassis.

Here's the servo in there nice and snug, No cutting it drops right in, you may have to modify yours for your application, I can't help that, the only thing you can do is buy the exact same parts I use.

The spacer will fit either way but fits better one way than the other, play with it.

The shock goes right back on along with the upper mount, no need to cut anything or use spacers. You may want to use a longer rod end to get more clearance.

Install the servo arm and enjoy the clearance.

Last edited by ripper7777777; 09-01-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Good work Lance! I think the problem that some might be having with shock clearance might simply be the location of the cup with respect to the mounting hole. I cant really think of a good way to accomodate all of the different models of shocks out on the market.

Sorry to those who I promised pics to last night...I was at work until Midnight and went straight to bed when I got home....then back to work again at 7am.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

Sorry to those who I promised pics to last night...I was at work until Midnight and went straight to bed when I got home....then back to work again at 7am.
Ahhhh, the life of a male exotic dancer.........
Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper7777777 View Post
Ahhhh, the life of a male exotic dancer.........

The skills that pay the bills.....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote