Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Time to rebuild the stick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Time to rebuild the stick

Ive been running the same stick chassis for a couple years and decided it needed a little work.
First, build a new backbone. Im using 1/2" thick walled aluminum tube that I am tapping and inserting threaded inserts into. Ive built 3or 4 chassis' using this tube and I dont know of any that have bent.
Next, I cut some new shock towers out of 1/4" delrin.

Im waiting on a few parts from mcmaster before I can go any farther. Im going to try to run a droop setup with internal springs. With the way the stick works, it shouldnt matter if its sprung or droop and should lower my cg slightly. Another benifit will be no shock towers sticking out of the hood.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

mcmaster finally came so I was able to finish the backbone and shocks. The shocks are running 3/8" diameter internal springs Im just not 100% sure I like how it turned out. It seems like I lost some articulation but I cant be sure.
These are the thin walled insterts... 3/8"x16 outside 1/4"x28 inside

Im going to repower it with a Tekin fxr, I should save some weight up high and a little footprint. Im also looking for a new body, this one has had its last day I think.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I drilled the knuckles out and replaced the bushings with 3x8x4 bearings... hopefully no more loose screws

The body posts are now spring loaded. This allows the body to ride higher during driving and compress in a roll. Ive put it to practice and it works great. The old setup, if I rolled I might as well just take a rollover.

In teh practice comp we had, I pretty well cleaned up with it. the new setup sidehills allot better. I did loose some articulation and since I didnt have allot to begin with Im slightly concerned.