RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Bully (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-bully/)
-   -   Super bully axle question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-bully/320326-super-bully-axle-question.html)

pmessier 06-06-2011 12:47 PM

Super bully axle question

So I'm currently driving a ax10 upgraded with bender swx chassis, etc. I'm really interested in going with MOA.

I was looking at rc4wd.com, and they have the 2.2 super bully, and 2.2 super bully light weight axles. Are either of these a good choice, and what would be the positives or negatives of going with the light weight one? And does anyone know if that is the price per axle, or the price per set. The regular super bully's are $99, and light weight is $149.

As for running moa, do I just need a punk or rocker dig switch, or do I need to run dual esc? (Sorry I'm still a newb, I'm sure it's been discussed multiple times) I'm actually wondering if the performance of MOA is worth the money too.

Any feedback, would be helpful.

Krakker 06-06-2011 01:42 PM

Supers are a class all their own. If you've already got 2.2 parts from your AX10, you'll want to stay with the 2.2 Bully axles so that you have a chance at getting a complete rig up and running.

I would spend some time reading the threads in here and see what others are using for chassis, electronics and what not.

pmessier 06-06-2011 03:24 PM

hmm ok. I've been reading, but not sure what I'm leaning towards. I was not aware of the super class, I'll read into that one. I'm not even sure if a moa will be any better then my shafty right now. I'll follow some of the threads here for a while to get a better idea of what people are running.

thanks.

8-454 06-07-2011 01:29 PM

I was in the same boat you are about ten months ago before I wet to my bully.

I'm guessing that your staying with the 2.2, so you'll be able to recycle your wheels, esc, servo, and possibly be able to make your swx work.

Seeing how the cast axles are fairly inexpensive they were what I started with, but after a season of tuning I'm running a lightweight machined rear with delrin tubes. Id recommend getting a cast front and machined rear for starters unless you can afford the lightweights front and rear.

As far as electronics go, I would recommend getting a punk dig for starters. Also a matching motor to the one you already have. If you plan on buying a new pair I would choose something between 35t-45t.

Hope this helps.

pmessier 06-07-2011 01:42 PM

Yeah I guess I'm staying with the 2.2. I'm not sure of the specs of the super class. I thought it only allowed rear steering. Still looking into the details.

I was planning on keeping my shafty ax10 as is, so my brother in law has one to use. And building a nicer one for me. I haven't been to any comps or really seen too many crawlers in action other than posted videos. So just judging by them, it looks like the moa will out perform the shafty... but then I keep reading that it depends on the driver. So yes I know I still have a lot to learn on them.

But as far as the axles go, it seems like the bullys are a good choice. Still not sure on the differences. Seening Bully, XLD, and Super Bully. So if I don't go with a super class, my choice is regular Bully or the XLD. Maybe I'm confused on that too. At least I understand the lightweight vs cast now.

As far as the motor, I plan on using 2 integy 45Ts, a mamba max esc, a dig switch to power both motors, and need to decide on a chassis.

Krakker 06-07-2011 06:23 PM

If you're going to let your inlaw use the other one, you might as well do a build list and gather parts. It'll be MUCH more cost effective and sticking with a 2.2 means you can both run similar trails with out looking like david and goliath.

pmessier 06-07-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krakker (Post 3130985)
If you're going to let your inlaw use the other one, you might as well do a build list and gather parts. It'll be MUCH more cost effective and sticking with a 2.2 means you can both run similar trails with out looking like david and goliath.

Yeah I want to start looking at the classifieds here, but not at 30 posts yet. So I'll start picking up parts off there once I'm able to.

So as far as 2.2 vs super class, is 2.2 the way to go as far as support and number of participants? I'm looking more or less just for back yard fun, and not really trying to compete yet. But I really do want something top notch, and impressive to play with.

Krakker 06-07-2011 09:26 PM

You will definantly be happier with the 2.2 class crawlers. Supers really need the terrain and space for them to be fun. Not to mention the availability of parts for 2.2 crawlers such as links, chassis', wheels N tires, etc.

pmessier 06-10-2011 11:38 AM

So i've been doing more reading, and super class is definitely out. So I want to stick with 2.2.

As far as the esc and dig switch, I'm running a mamba max esc. Will the drag bakes be enough with this esc to work with the switch and 2 motors? Or am I better off going with a teken fxr esc?

Charlie-III 06-10-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmessier (Post 3135026)
As far as the esc and dig switch, I'm running a mamba max esc. Will the drag bakes be enough with this esc to work with the switch and 2 motors? Or am I better off going with a teken fxr esc?

I ran a CC MM & servo dig on my 2.2 Bully, drag brake was great. Not so happy going to a dual ESC setup (because of weaker rear drag brake) but that may be a setup issue. I'm also using 2 different model ESC's, so that may not help either.:roll:

pmessier 06-10-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 3135480)
I ran a CC MM & servo dig on my 2.2 Bully, drag brake was great. Not so happy going to a dual ESC setup (because of weaker rear drag brake) but that may be a setup issue. I'm also using 2 different model ESC's, so that may not help either.:roll:

Is there any advantage to going dual esc over a dig switch? Also is there a wiring diagram for running dual mm escs? I saw one for the fxr, but they direct soldered the wires to both esc... not really down to solder the esc if I can just plug into the dig switch. I'm just not clear on the +/-'s of the setups yet.

Krakker 06-10-2011 09:48 PM

Search in the electronics section for dual esc wiring, or dual FXR wiring. The examples will all lead you to the right way to get it done. The MM and dig switch should work fine but if you are wanting to go the dual ESC route, that's when you want to think about the size of the ESC's. I run dual FXR's for their size and most of all performance. They are a perfect fit for my chassis and motor control needs.

The best reason for dual ESC's is control AND weight. Mixing the 2 ESC's you can dial up the front to pull more going up a step hill to keep from flipping backwards, or just over driving the front for turning or side hill control. You can also overdrive the rear for shooting gaps where it's important to get the front wheels up and the rear pushing hard.

As far as direct soldering the wires, it just keeps the weight down. You could add in a bullet connector, but the solder is easy to deal with.

I even wrap my rx antenna inside the rx to keep things tidy and use smaller wire (14G) since it's easy to route and it all that's needed.

Charlie-III 06-11-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmessier (Post 3135641)
Is there any advantage to going dual esc over a dig switch? .

I have run a single ESC & servo dig switch as well as dual ESC's, no changes to the rig itself other than that.
Some depends on your radio, a decent 4 channel radio makes it easier to go either route, a 3 channel can work (I have a Futaba 3PM-x) several different ways. I use a WannAmix to drive the 2 ESC's.

As mentioned, you have a lot more options for speed control of each axle speed running dual ESC's."thumbsup"

pmessier 06-11-2011 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm running a dx3r right now. I only have 2 MM esc's so trying to only use one in the crawler. The others in 1/16 erevo, so I'll only pull it to use dual if it gives a way bigger advantage. I think I'll start with a dig switch, and see the limitations after running that for a bit.