Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: jebster's bully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default jebster's bully

so i decided to start a build thread. it is very early on but i wanted to keep a record of my progress.

i picked up a bully roller in trade and decided to make a basher that my son can abuse. i torn everything down, cleaned it up and started rebuilding. i want to do this fairly cheap so low cost improvements is the goal.

so far i've changed up the shocks. drilled the pistons and added mini-t internal springs. the suspension is cycling pretty smoothly. next up is the knuckle mod (once i pick up some bearings). beyond that i need to pick up some electronics to get it running.

not much to show but here are a few pics:
Attached Images

jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Good start so far. While your doing the knuckles, you might as well tear the axles down completely and lighten them up.
Check out the tips/trick sticky's at the top. there's tons of good info in there on mods that take almost zero dollars,,,,, just a bit of DIY time.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Good start so far. While your doing the knuckles, you might as well tear the axles down completely and lighten them up.
Check out the tips/trick sticky's at the top. there's tons of good info in there on mods that take almost zero dollars,,,,, just a bit of DIY time.
i've been reading up on some of the ways to lighten up the rig. i'll probably give some a try but for now i'm really motivated to get it running and see how i like it.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Yashua

Looks like a good start, and hope your kid likes it.
Krakker's advice is good also, those are heavy suckers.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Very nice, I'll be watching. Buuuutt, I could trade you a scaler or sporty for your kid to bash
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
Very nice, I'll be watching. Buuuutt, I could trade you a scaler or sporty for your kid to bash
maybe! send me a pm if you have something worth offering! i picked up the bully in a trade. i like it but i'm always open to options.

actually he has a maxstone 16 he likes to drive on our backyard course. does pretty well with it but when he gets it into a bind it has broken some parts. he has also driven my sportsman creeper. he does ok but is pretty trigger happy and it scares me. and i don't let him play with my xr10 comp rig!!! bottom line is i want to give him something bigger and more durable so he stays away from my stuff.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
maybe! send me a pm if you have something worth offering! i picked up the bully in a trade. i like it but i'm always open to options.

actually he has a maxstone 16 he likes to drive on our backyard course. does pretty well with it but when he gets it into a bind it has broken some parts. he has also driven my sportsman creeper. he does ok but is pretty trigger happy and it scares me. and i don't let him play with my xr10 comp rig!!! bottom line is i want to give him something bigger and more durable so he stays away from my stuff.
A good option (short term) is to dial back the TX throttle EPA's so you limit the max power he has available.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

55-65T motors are good as well, you can also change the pinions.

I"ve mounted a HPI Jeep body to my Bully before just to do some trail crawling. It's amazxing how just a body change can swing the mood into just having fun VS. "I gotta win".
Old 11-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
55-65T motors are good as well, you can also change the pinions.

I"ve mounted a HPI Jeep body to my Bully before just to do some trail crawling. It's amazxing how just a body change can swing the mood into just having fun VS. "I gotta win".
i want to upgrade my xr10's motors and take the 55Ts out of it to put into the bully. what size pinion would you recommend? i'll be running a single esc and punk dig so to help with clod stall i'll probably want to run a tooth larger in the front.

you got me thinking about putting a body on my bully.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

13/12 will work good. I've also gone with a 35T/45T motor combo to combat that problem.
I like a little more speed when making digs and heating up the tires for a climb so for me a 35T is the choice, 55T's should work just fine for your kids' Bully tho. Perhaps going 12/11 on the pinion would work better for his control.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
13/12 will work good. I've also gone with a 35T/45T motor combo to combat that problem.
I like a little more speed when making digs and heating up the tires for a climb so for me a 35T is the choice, 55T's should work just fine for your kids' Bully tho. Perhaps going 12/11 on the pinion would work better for his control.
thanks for the input.

another question. i've read about a lot about people clocking the axle to get more caster. seems like people get a jig to drill the new pattern. does anyone sell that jig? and what servo mount would be needed to keep it bta?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Eritex was selling a jig but he is no longer in business. Still kicking my self for not getting one before he closed down.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

haven't made any progress lately on this project. waiting to pull together a full set of electronics. i have managed to get a pair of 55T motors and a punk dig. trying to work out a trade for a brxl (keeping my fingers crossed). still need a wantasummit true 3-pos module (i run a traxxas tq 2.4 radio) and a servo, which i want to find a 7950 for a good price. i've had good luck with that servo on my creeper and xr10.

i did have a question about wheels. what is the typical vp slw hub offset people run on their bullys?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
Eritex was selling a jig but he is no longer in business. Still kicking my self for not getting one before he closed down.
I wonder if we could get someone to make a template that we could post up and everyone could use to drill their own 20 degree or 15degree axle tubes for the steering clocking....

Just an idea. I wish i had the capability to do it.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I wonder if we could get someone to make a template that we could post up and everyone could use to drill their own 20 degree or 15degree axle tubes for the steering clocking....

i'm thinking of making my own. just use the existing axle tubes to mark hole patterns on a piece of sheet metal. we'll see!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post

That's a good idea. Once you aligned the stock holes up on the template you could use a punch to mark the clocked holes. I'm gonna try that and see if I can come up with something.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

dumb question. what hex hubs would people recommend for the rear axle? my rig was missing one and i want to order up a new set.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default play in the front axle?

i'm making slow progress but progress. got the front axle back together. did the knuckle mod (flanged bearings) and it feels strong. but now another issue. it seems there is a lot of play in the axle. if i hole one wheel i can turn the other wheel 30*. i can see the transmission gears are spinning when i do that. it is the same either wheel i hold. suggestions?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: play in the front axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
I'm making slow progress, but progress. Have the front axle back together, did the knuckle mod (flanged bearings) and it feels strong. Now another issue, it seems there is a lot of play in the axle. If I hold one wheel, I can turn the other wheel 30*. I can see the transmission gears are spinning when I do that. It is the same either wheel I hold. suggestions?
Likely either worn axle flats, worn diff gear slot or a little of both. There may also be a bit of play in the CVD's as well.
Until you get it apart, you'll never know for sure.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: jebster's bully

i figured it was something like that. hate having to pull it all back apart after just getting it together!