Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Wheel weight / axle weight advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking Wheel weight / axle weight advice

Team bully.

Looking for some advice on wheel weight vs axle weight. I've got stock bully axles but will be going with the delrin rear axel lighten this week.

What's your preference on the wheel vs axle weight? I'm leaning toward light wheels all around and going with axle weight in the front since my rig is pretty heavy already. If you're running axle weight- what kind and how much? What wheels are you running? I do realize a lot of u run the lightweight axles so that plays into your choices.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
JeffK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wheel weight / axle weight advice

I am running Blue Monkey axle weights. I have 2 of the smaller weights on each clamp. I believe D'Lux is making axle weights also.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I have light weight gear case with turned down tube in the back. In the front I have a light weight gear case with cast tubes and knuckles. With this combo I only have to run 3oz in the wheels. But I am at 5lb 2oz so I don't need a ton of extra weight in the front.

The bad thing about knuckle weights on the front of a stock bully axle is that they hang completely out of the wheel so the are like a big anchor.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys-

yea, I have yet to weight my rig, but I'm a little scared to...

Knuckle weights- I guess I see the advantages and I didn't realize that disadvantage- I've never run knuckle weights before, only wheel weights. I tend to like my rig pretty heavy in the front... or at least I think I do at this point.... what wheels are you guys running??

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
I have light weight gear case with turned down tube in the back. In the front I have a light weight gear case with cast tubes and knuckles. With this combo I only have to run 3oz in the wheels. But I am at 5lb 2oz so I don't need a ton of extra weight in the front.

The bad thing about knuckle weights on the front of a stock bully axle is that they hang completely out of the wheel so the are like a big anchor.
I am hoping to take care of that problem this year. I am working on doing the Axial C-hub mods to my rig. I already have the parts I am just waiting on the machinist at work to have some down time.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm running an all cast front and an all aluminium, with turn tubes, in the back.
As for wheels I run LowBoyz (alum, without the pendulum), in the front and plastic wheels in the back.

As far as weight in concern, if I remmember right, I'm at 60% to the front and 40% to the back.

I'm happy with the handle but i still have a lot to drive and test (try some diferent link geometry)...
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

ok. cool.... thanks for the input guys. this helps a lot... I'll do some mods and see what I'm happy with. Seems like the Bully crowd has a wide range of adjustments when it comes to these things.

I've been learning a lot from the Berg section- a lot of those guys are consistently running Vanquish products.

Wheel weight / axle weight advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel weight Vs Axle weight. Simon.O. General Crawlers 33 02-15-2010 07:01 PM
Weighting Rear axle OR equal wheel weight? mascman General Crawlers 5 06-13-2009 08:13 PM
Wheel weight or diff weight? PipeDreams Tires and Wheels 4 11-06-2008 05:20 PM
Wheel weight vs. chassis weight ratio OR spung/unsprung bias solomon7 Tires and Wheels 15 08-02-2008 06:26 PM
Wheel/Axle weight and suspension performance. Bsmooth General Crawlers 4 03-13-2006 09:51 PM