Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bully Setup questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bully Setup questions

Hello,I have artr bully axles with chaotic crawlers switch 2.0 chassis,Ti links and v6 xvd.2x Tekin Fxr ESC,2x Tekin 55T motor,cc bec,big bore shocks,stock beadlock wheels with Voodoo blue compound tires.

I try with the stock oil that includes the box of the shocks but I don't really like it.Which oil do you suggest?

The other problem is that stock foam doesn't help this heavy truck to steep uphill.I think need harder foam insert.What do you suggest?

At the end I want to ask how much weight must use for the front wheels for better grip.Back wheels also need weight?

Any tip for car to be better,will help me! Thanks.
DiKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bully Setup questions

I like 70 wt shock oil. With those axles you'll need about 3 to 4 ounces of weight per wheel up front to get it to climb well. It works better to lighten the rear than add weight to the front. Its a lot easier to add weight though.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The pistons of the shocks are stock.Do you believe that 70wt will be thick enough for it?I have a 37,5wt shock oil.Worth to test it?

Is this better to change the rear axle to a delrin one to save some weight and not to use weight at front?What do you suggest for new foams?

This is the steering of my bully now.On these pictures was the stock springs of the big bore's just because waiting for losi springs that I use now.

I see many steering mods for the bully axles.Which one has the best result?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
RCC Addict

35 is way to thin. Crawler innovations 6" closed cell double duce. Clocking the front axle and turning the link shock mounts is #1. Delrin rear tubes are a great way to loose weight. That drag link will break or be useless after clocking. I have broke two and seen another snap with only 400 oz per inch servos. Put your battery on the back of the motor down low and you'll notice a large difference. If it will fit. 850mah 3s is the largest I run. I only run those for long test and tune sessions.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What do you mean to clock the front axle and turning the link mount?

I ordered some small batteries to place behind the axle because all I have are too big,1300mah.

Do you know someone to make delrin tubes for bully.I have been asking Erik D'Lux but don't make those now.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
www.ottsix.com

ALSO, if those are blue's all the way around, I strongly suggest that you cut a pin pattern of some sort. Also consider using 35T motors (or lower)

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 11-24-2013 at 04:53 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Clocking the tubes is removing them from the transmission and drilling 4 new ones rotating them back about 20*. After doing this the link shock mounts need to be turned over to get everything to work out well.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
ALSO, if those are blue's all the way around, I strongly suggest that you cut a pin pattern of some sort. Also consider using 35T motors (or lower)
Yes,all blue.Not good choice?After purchasing the tires I read that Otssix suggest the blue only for rear wheels.Which pattern?you mean try to make some holes like this

or like a star shape?

Crawler Innovations double deuce 6'' foam will be ok with Voodoo tires and truck rtr aprox.3kg?Maybe in the future to change the tires to hot bodies rover white.I want something (foam) that will fit both tires,if it's possible.

Maybe in the future I will test motors with lower ''Turns'',but now I will leave it with 55T.
You mean lower than 55T,as 35t or 45T?
Why do you running 35T motors?I think that it gives you more speed but loosing some slow movement that is good for crawler?

Thank you for reply

Quote:
Clocking the tubes is removing them from the transmission and drilling 4 new ones rotating them back about 20*. After doing this the link shock mounts need to be turned over to get everything to work out well.
I think understand what you say.Clock only the front axle at front 20* or back?
This is a little problem because I have cut already the axle to fit servo and if I clock the axle,servo will touch the motor.

May I have to cut more the axle to do this clocking?

Thanks for help.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The best advise I can give you is to read every thread that has some stars rating it and the stickies.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yes, after clocking the axle tubes you will have to rework the servo location. I would worry about the other issues first and have some fun with it. Getting the battery behind the motor and shocks and foam dialed in will do so much for you. Main thing, go drive the piss out of it, learn to use the clod stall and dig. You have a nice rig, go have some fun. Don't get caught up in making it the perfect comp rig. Go wheel with some friends and have a good time . You have a Bully, enjoy it!
Ace138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
www.ottsix.com

In general, blue's are best out back because they don't grab as hard as the other two compounds. I have come across drivers who run them all the way around and love the traction and feel...so give it a shot. For comp crawling, you'll need the "pop" that a 35T, or lower, will give you. Also, you'll find that 55T is too slow to dig well.

This is a very good pin pattern...at minimum, use it on the front tires. You might want to also split some pins.

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 11-25-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
www.ottsix.com

Also, you're not going to find foams that'll work in both Voodoos and Rovers...apples and oranges
Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
The best advise I can give you is to read every thread that has some stars rating it and the stickies.
I have read all the stickies but it shows only motors,shave the axle,steering help,narrow wheels.etc.I don't see a thread on how to clock the axle there.Maybe there are some old threads with this mod but can't find it.If you know something on this with pictures will help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace138 View Post
Yes, after clocking the axle tubes you will have to rework the servo location. I would worry about the other issues first and have some fun with it. Getting the battery behind the motor and shocks and foam dialed in will do so much for you. Main thing, go drive the piss out of it, learn to use the clod stall and dig. You have a nice rig, go have some fun. Don't get caught up in making it the perfect comp rig. Go wheel with some friends and have a good time . You have a Bully, enjoy it!
I agree that have to play more and don't modify first,but I have the truck 3 years+ and I want to level up,not for competition use but I want to have more capabilities.The huge problem of the car is the weight.It's strange that on bully many people using delrin-plastic tubes to loose weight and on the other hand there are XR10 guys that harden their transmission with more weight...this is crazy!

Quote:
In general, blue's are best out back because they don't grab as hard as the other two compounds. I have come across drivers who run them all the way around and love the traction and feel...so give it a shot. For comp crawling, you'll need the "pop" that a 35T, or lower, will give you. Also, you'll find that 55T is too slow to dig well.

This is a very good pin pattern...at minimum, use it on the front tires. You might want to also split some pins.

Quote:
Also, you're not going to find foams that'll work in both Voodoos and Rovers...apples and oranges
Thank you for the picture and more information.I will try to cut and test it soon.
Which foam do you suggest for my truck with voodoo tires?

Last edited by DiKey; 11-25-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
www.ottsix.com

6" DD SOFT all the way around (if you eventually go with light weight axles, you may want to go down to 5.5")
Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
6" DD SOFT all the way around (if you eventually go with light weight axles, you may want to go down to 5.5")
I will go with D'Lux delrin tubes front and rear,so maybe is better 5.5''?

Bully Setup questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setup help rc bully boadazofa RC4WD Bully 18 06-26-2013 01:43 PM
first try with bully setup Utilityknife RC4WD Bully 7 07-01-2010 12:01 AM
Questions about setup tas basher HPI Wheely King 1 08-13-2008 08:42 AM