Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: What to do with Bully 2.2's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What to do with Bully 2.2's?

With everyone going to the new Bully's, what are you fellas doing with your 2.2's?
Are they becoming shelf queens? Or maybe giving them to your kids/grand kids?
I just bought 2 sets off the sale section here with intentions of building a couple trail rigs for the grand kids, as I'd rather play than fix, and these things can take a beating!.... Just a wonderin what you fells are doing with them..
VoodooSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: What to do with Bully 2.2's?

Comp Crawlers!
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I live in Indiana, and there are no comps to build crawlers to compete in around these parts so I plan to build more trails to play on, as I have enough property that we can play all day long and never hit the same place twice, been putting in a rock garden too...... So... If you have access to comps that's great!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I still have my bully1 2.2pro battery ready. After watching the berg and b2 S class builds I am thinking about using my b1 axles to do the same.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'm not much into the scale trucks, but I bought a shafty and tweaked it out a bit not too long ago, but you know... Once you've had a custom Maxx that will go almost anywhere with lightning speed the scale shaftys just seem like toys... And besides, as much as I like building things, I really like the durability of the Bully MOA, I've been into RC's since the 60's, the hobby has came a long, long way, these axles are way too good to be cast aside.
If you fellas build some cool trucks with the old Bully's, be sure to post some pics, they may be dated, but they still have a lot of good times left in them!
Old 01-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooSteve View Post
I live in Indiana, and there are no comps to build crawlers to compete in around these parts so I plan to build more trails to play on, as I have enough property that we can play all day long and never hit the same place twice, been putting in a rock garden too...... So... If you have access to comps that's great!
Someone has to be the first comp crawler in you area. You could make a flier and put it in a local hobby store. Cut some old tennis balls. Get a timer paper, pencils, clip board and you are ready for a comp. I found you first comp because of a flier in a hobby store.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thought about that and I would do it except for one small problem.......there aren't any local hobby shops around anymore, the nearest ones are 40-50 miles away, so i figure to just work on my place and invite some fellas from the internet over and hope the word gets around, maybe do a weekly thing at noon, but then again I have an archery business where I'm one of two people in the world that builds a certain kind of custom longbow and I'll be at different shoots on some weekends....who knows what the future will bring though.........
Old 01-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Archery/hobby store...... bam!
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Hey, I've thought about putting one of my spare axles under a target I have that already has wheels on it, may end up doing it too as I live in the stix and neighbor is a half mile away......
Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #10

would be helpful to me to define where the delta is, and how it might be addressed.
Since the B2's seem pretty much unobtainium at the present, kinda moot if you dont already have them. Quite a bit more expensive also.
So having just bought a kit w/ the 2.2s in it, and having taken them apart and seen what it is, what can be done with them?
Those gears are definitely candidates for some weight reduction. I have read that case hardening complicates that. I guess the axles could be slimmed down also, but not sure how much value is in the effort. Not going to pick up much clearance, not the low hanger wrt weight that the gears are, and seems you could mess up your screw holes.
Have not looked at the situation with the knuckles, the B2s are more amenable to knuckle weights?
You guys know more about it than I, having just got here. What else is there to be done?
And just out of curiosity, how uncompetitive are they? Where do they fall short? Having not tracked or been to a comp yet, are all of the winners below a certain weight? When was the last time a 2.2 rig won anything major? does it make a difference doing mods to the gears or axle? is that difference quantifiable from driver to driver?
All that said and asked, I plan on crawling the hell outa mine, but it's what I got and I havent got that running yet!
Pfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
RCC Addict

You'll have to dig back through the threads. There are several really detailed and descriptive threads that show how to make these axles perform right up there with anything else.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #12

The sticky threads in this section seem to be a good place to start. A lot are old but are very relevant to these axles IMO.
Irwin Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
You'll have to dig back through the threads. There are several really detailed and descriptive threads that show how to make these axles perform right up there with anything else.
Pretty sure a member here was won titles with the Bully 2 axles before he upgraded.
HSPRoboCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm serious about the comp crawler thing. They're a hoot to mess around with, even if you don't comp. It'll be way more capable than something like an SCX10. You might want a bigger battery than what guys use to comp with but they're very capable machines. Build it stock to start and then find out what's not working and check back on the older build threads and find out what guys have done to improve things.

Last edited by Tossedman; 02-23-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote

What to do with Bully 2.2's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the hold up on the Bully 2's? crawl-o-matic RC4WD Bully 127 03-17-2014 09:57 AM
Thinking of swapping to bully 2's Dhallmark RC4WD Bully 17 03-15-2014 08:25 PM
Chassis for Bully 2's ??? Jfannin RC4WD Bully 8 03-12-2014 08:05 PM
Bully 2's stripping screws droogin RC4WD Bully 23 08-23-2009 12:56 PM
Bully 2's that strong? axman2010 RC4WD Bully 8 06-29-2009 11:54 PM