Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bavarian Bully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bavarian Bully

After reading and learning much in this forum i want to show you my Bully.
Iīm from Bavaria and round about 2 years ago it was my first time when i saw a crawler video at youtube.I was fascinated and so i bought a second-hand XR-10,went to a little fun-comp and i become infected
But iīm not a big fan of plastics,so when i saw the Bully2 Axles i knew: this thing is made for me
So i ordered a pair in the last winter and put a modified chassis to the axles.It pleased me well and i did some test-runs in the cold weather

The axles works perfect,i had no problems and i can screw as much as i want,without getting bad threads or something else.
Then i saw at the vendors section the Remedy 3.5 Chassis from BDN.I liked the design and some thoughtful details and so i ordered this chassis and iīm still very happy with it Itīs very stable,much clearance and works good with the bully axles

At first itīs always been a big question: how much knuckleweights? Most people in germany building very lightweight crawlers with small weights.So i tried the same thing.But then i saw that really good drivers like Skaldiddog or D-Lux drive with so much knuckleweights
I want to try it out and put as much as possible on the axles:

After driving with 8,47oz per side i was impressed,thatīs perfect for my driving-style.For a better center of gravity i did some new weights

Now iīve 200grams (7,05oz) per side and itīs still perfect for me.

I did some training-runs with my friend Stephan (ZZR-1100 Racer) and decided to drive to the german Supercrawl.It was the first "big" comp for me and i was very happy to go to the final even though slippery,sandy quarry is not the location that i like most

Until now the only problem with the bully was a broken upper-linkmount....and a few days later the other was broken too

But thatīs not really a problem,my bully droped away for many times and itīs not really lightweight I just replaced the linkmount by an angled alu.That works good and iīve a few more points to screw the links

The latest update are some 500er Puller from Holmeshobbies,i love them

Hereīs a little video from my homespot,no good quality just handy,but you can see a typical location from the woods in bavaria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Kx...hyyFo2k3fEnVBw
Snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bavarian Bully

I have been waiting for this topic! Really clean build dude! You drove really well in Supercrawl that I can remember. First time in the big comp and straight to finals, really good.

Holy moly, those weights!! I think Del Monte, SkaldiDog and Dlux are having that much weight in their rigs, because the grip is so much better than we have in europe. If I would like to drive 200g per side, my rig would be just bouncing from side to side on the climbs due the lack of grip we have. That's why my rig is still relatively light. And I can always put some more weights to grippier spots. But if it works for you, who am I to judge.

Hope to see you at european comps this year.
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you Samu!
I know that so much weight works not for everybody,but i tried less weight and even completely without weight.Perhaps some day iīll change it,but in the moment i see no disadvantage with more weights.Except in slippery,sandy conditions,there works a setup with less weight better,you donīt slide so much...
I hope i can find some time to drive more comps in 2015
Old 01-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
Stephan Hauser / # 7

I honestly havn't even thought that you will come up with these bully II build, but i am happy to see the only truly active one in germany at rccrawler.com

here is one more video of the Remedy 3.5 on course at one of our comps
http://youtu.be/aihq7YeRKH0

If you did't loose the motivation you will get what you are looking for, Chris.

Hope to get the chance to battle with you often time in 2015

Edit: it will be very interesting for me to see how your new 13t Holmes Hobbies pullers will push up your driving performance.

Last edited by ZZR 1100 Racer; 01-03-2015 at 03:03 PM.
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Great job on the upper link. Good design. Also great job on your knuckle weights.

What wheels are you running.

Last edited by SDheavymetal; 01-03-2015 at 03:42 PM.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

@ZZR 1100 Racer
You are right,itīs only me and Amok who drives comps in germany with these axles.But iīm sure we are getting more from year to year And thatīs the reason why iīm showing my bully here.There are many bully-drivers with much experience who can benefit from each other

@SDheavymetal
The wheels are Boreggo Buggy Wheels,drilled out for the Hex hubs.But now i drive the CI 6-Bolt Wheels because these wheels are more stable,no modification needed and they have the same big inner diameter that i can drive my knuckleweights
Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Heck of a nice rig Snatch.....
Your driving is excellent also....nice video
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Nothing can stop a Bully

Skinny Pantherīs are good winterttires with a pretty good selfcleaning effect

I got new dampers.Never had a problem with my bigbores,they work excellent,but now they will get into my shafty.And new upperlinks.The carbonlinks broke one day,perhaps at a crash on the rocks.Now i build 3mm Titan-links with nearly the same weight (4g to 6g).So i think the Bully is ready for season 2015

Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Nice looking rig. I like the pile of weight up front too. Looking at the pictures it looks like the skid has been removed and the rear lowers taken up front to the same attachment point as the front lowers like the stingray. I noticed that it seems to be a trend for the Supercrawl guys to run really long lower rear links. I wonder what the advantages and disadvantages are over a more conventional setup?
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

@josh6575

Youīre right,it looks like thereīs no skid,but itīs still there:

At the remedy chassis you can position the skid like you want to,and so i did it to get the most ground clearance.I think itīs easier when you drive about big edges (i believe you call it breakovers?)
A year ago i modified a chassis to the "Egressor-Style",without skid to get a maximum on clearance and droop setup to go low:

This thing works good,but then i noticed that the clearance is nearly the same (especially when itīs rebounded) when the skid is short and goes back up.And so i can use shorter links which makes the crawler more stable
Perhaps the best way for much ground clearance is like pat13 did it with his Ventru chassis: ultra-short front lowers just behind the motor and then much clearance until the rear axle
Old 01-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #11
RCC Addict

That is a lot of clearance!
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

This weekend was the first Comp in Germany for 2015.It was an Indoor-Comp organized by TEC,Team Eastside Crawlerz.Thank you for your engagement
It was a really nice comp with some tricky stones and gates.

But my Bully/Remedy-Crawler works pretty good and i could win this comp

On my shafty iīll do some little modifications,but so far he works good too and i was able to get 3. place.So iīm very happy with the start in season 2015

Old 02-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
Stephan Hauser / # 7

Big Conrats Chris - Great job

Seems the revolution axles, the remedy chassie and your new holmes pullers work more than good for and specially with you
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Congrats Chris I like the new panels

Are you running Voodoos now?
braune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

@ZZR 1100 Racer
Thank you Stephan! Next comp is your homespot,iīm looking forward to it
Whatīs about Felsberg in Switzerland on 19.04. ? I think itīs a great location

@braune
Thanks Jeff!
Youīre right,these are Voodoos.The skinny Rovers works really good,but the disadvantage is sometimes that you have to drive an absolut exactly line,otherwise the tires have not so much grip.On "real" rocks i never had this problem with the skinnys,but on stones or smaller rocks i think wider tires are sometimes more easier to drive
Old 03-10-2015, 04:46 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I did some modifications on my bully.I never really liked the battery-position,itīs pretty high and not so good for the COG.And additionally the steering link is in front of the axle.So i did some test runs with the battery on the rear axle,no problem with bully2s
It works really good for me and i decided to change it

I tried some hard gates but didnīt notice a difference.I think itīs because of those much KW in front of my crawler,the balance is still far in front.And in some situations itīs not bad to have some extraweight on the rear axle

But the bigger advantage is that iīve now the maximum clearance in front of my axle:

Old 04-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Drive some Lipos with my Bully,iīm very happy with it,think the final Setup is done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHsbjmj9azg
Old 04-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Great driving, Chris
Weiße is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Yesterday was the second Comp in Germany for 2015 and the second win for my Remedy-Bully It was the first run from the German-Cup.
It runs very good for me,4 courses where not really hard,you have to drive save and fast.2 courses have some more tricky gates,but there was only one gate you could only clear with much much luck because of much sand and no grip.I donīt like those gates,but with the 20points rule you are able to drive to the next gates.Here are the results:

With my Shafty i ended at 5.place. I had the same problem like in the first comp this year: the screw from the SDI drive-shaft was opening So i had at first on-course-repair and after a short driving again an of-course repair.And at least a stupid mistake on gate 10 at the same course.This was too much for a better result,there were only 4 courses.But iīll learn from it!

A few days before the comp i drove the voodoo tires and i wasnīt really happy with it.The grip was not enough and at sidehill-sections the foams worked not really good.So i decided to cut the voodoos and put some selfmade-foams into it:

The tires works much better now,but the skinny-rovers have in some situations more grip,so i drove the comp with the rovers.I think i have to drive the voodoos for a longer time,the break in isnīt there until now.At the comp i was in the group with Egressor and his voodoos looks much more worn,but they had an excellent grip,but that took some time he told me.So i just have to drive with them to get more grip for the 3.Comp: Supercrawl
Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Congratz Chris! Really nice job again! Would love to see some video.
Zarizi Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Bavarian Bully - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An bavarian Jeep Cherokee XJ Don-Pero 1.9 Scale Rigs 35 08-06-2012 11:52 PM
Bavarianīs first Dino Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 05-22-2006 08:21 AM