Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Incoming!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #1

Well guess I will get this out of the way....Allow me to introduce myself, a rank beginner at an age to old to brag about, trying to build up a pile of grandkid bait to juice some visits on the holidays.
After struggling for a couple of weeks trying to decide how to make my entry into this crawling thing, and watching seemingly endless youtube videos of trucks moving over rocks, and seeing the choices out there (not many), I ordered up a Bully 2 ARTR. Surprised me to find a kit available, and at a seemingly good price from RPP. Shipped in one day. Hope to have it by Wednesday.
So, more reading and learning a whole new knowledge base, that being how to wire up dual ESCs. I ordered up two XFRs, two 45T RC4WD 10$ cans, a Hitec 7954 servo, two 35c 3S 850 mah Venoms, and a CC BEC. Would have let the XFRs internal bec handle it, but that servo is scary. Besides, as I read around on the forum, it was like I kept hearing a little voice telling me I needed a BEC. Strange.
I had to dig deeper still to arrive at the conclusion that my DX4C does indeed have 3 pos programmable switches and a mixing function which appears to support the dig and proportional stuff that this system is capable of. The question as to whether the ergonomics is there to actually use these features will have to be answered by OJT. At least the next round of spending is a little ways off....
Anyway, my fun would appear to begin soon. If things go well I will attempt to support these tales with pics.

Nope wrong about the dam tx. The C model allows mixing but not programmable to a switch, just a master slave relationship somewhere inside the machine. Preset for steering, and assigns a button there, but no easy way to change the preset str input. I guess that box is on a round trip when it gets here.
Maybe a futuba in my future after all.
Or maybe more reading.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-06-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Pfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Incoming!

you do realize those are the older discontinued 2.2 bully comp axles and not
the newer bully2 axles?
they are good, don't get me wrong.
will need to know this when ordering some after market parts.
enjoy
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 AM   #3

This is great to read, for just today i bought myself a Bully 2.2 MOA ARTR kit.

I'm from Australia, so mine is a little way off yet...but yeah i was very surprised to see them available.

So while i wait for the Bully to be delivered, i'll be ordering the electronics i need.

I've done a lot of reading as to what motors, etc i should purchase, its also my first time crawling and the Bully is my first Crawler, so its all very new to me...and yes i'm at an age i cant brag about either, so your not alone!

I have a chassis in mind...so once i learn the in and outs, i'll then upgrade and swap the axles, links and chassis.

Are duel ESC's really needed? This is the one thing i really need to read more on.

All the best with your build Pfreddy, will be keeping an eye on this thread.
HSPRoboCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

dual escs are not "needed" per se. but having them will give you many extra options
if you have a transmitter (radio) that can make use of them.
by being able to have separate channels for each esc you have front and rear "dig" built in.
but the radio will need to have mixing capabilities like the futaba 4pl or the flysky or most
stick radios (there are other radios out there too besides these).
if you just "y" harness the two escs together you do not really acomplish much.
if you are using brushless motors then you do have to use two brushless escs.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
dual escs are not "needed" per se. but having them will give you many extra options
if you have a transmitter (radio) that can make use of them.
by being able to have separate channels for each esc you have front and rear "dig" built in.
but the radio will need to have mixing capabilities like the futaba 4pl or the flysky or most
stick radios (there are other radios out there too besides these).
if you just "y" harness the two escs together you do not really acomplish much.
if you are using brushless motors then you do have to use two brushless escs.
Hi Cabron, i will be running x2 brushed motors for i heard they are best for crawling? But please correct me if i'm wrong.

Not sure if i would need front dig, rear dig i would want for sure.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

brushed motors have beter low rpm control so yes they are best for crawling.

as for need we dont need two testicles or two kidneys but having them is better.
having two escs gives you options, you do not have to use front dig. though if
you "y" the escs together instead of using the radio to mix the channels, then you would need
some kind of dig switch.
there are several of doing the wiring. the more you know the better choices you can make.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #7

Quote:
the newer bully2 axles?
enjoy

Hmmmm

"Features:
CNC machined V chassis with laser engraved lettering Bully 2 alloy/machined axle Gear Ratio: 38.41:1 X-Lock 2.2 Tires (5.5" / 140mm tall) Dual spring aluminum shocks Billet alum beadlock wheels Meets all USRCCA required specs Full metal links with bent lower units Plastic rod ends and body post Full ball bearings Length: 17.5", Width: 10", Height: 6", Wheelbase: 12.5", Ground clearance: 2.5"

Soo, I dont know, they appear to be advertised as Bully 2.....Why I thought it was a good deal, the axles were more than half the price!
What is the difference between the old and knew?

Also, was able to cancel the Spektrum and ordered up a 4PLS. Also got the BEC receiver bypass fabbed up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSPRoboCrawler View Post
This is great to read, for just today i bought myself a Bully 2.2 MOA ARTR kit.

I'm from Australia, so mine is a little way off yet...but yeah i was very surprised to see them available.

So while i wait for the Bully to be delivered, i'll be ordering the electronics i need.

I've done a lot of reading as to what motors, etc i should purchase, its also my first time crawling and the Bully is my first Crawler, so its all very new to me...and yes i'm at an age i cant brag about either, so your not alone!

I have a chassis in mind...so once i learn the in and outs, i'll then upgrade and swap the axles, links and chassis.

Are duel ESC's really needed? This is the one thing i really need to read more on.

All the best with your build Pfreddy, will be keeping an eye on this thread.
You too HSPRC, mine will be here tomorrow but probably wont pick it up till Friday.

And as noted, the dual ESCs seem like a better option than one and a dig unit separate, if your tx can handle it.

Would also like to get a custom chassis to build on the electronics and the axles, the wallet needs to cool off a bit first!

Quote:
the newer bully2 axles?
enjoy

Hi Cabron this will prolly end up a double post, I responded but the message went away? Maybe moderator review?

But the kit I bought was advertised as the bully2 axles, maybe you know something contrary? Was one of the things made me think it had value...
Plus I recently got an airbrush and was looking for new bodies to screw up!

Last edited by THX_138; 05-06-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #8

Nice on the Friday drop, you'll be busy on the weekend then for sure.

Yep i've chosed a duel esc, going to get the Viper chassis for it soon.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #9
RCC Addict

best friend is the post man
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
Hi Cabron this will prolly end up a double post, I responded but the message went away? Maybe moderator review?
Yep.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #11

So I spoke with a fellow at RPP and asked him if the axles were in fact the Bully 2 axles. He stated that the KZ0033 kit does have the Bully2 axles.

He then professed a lack of intimate knowledge of the vehicle so could not identify the axles by looking.

If so, that is a really good deal as the kit cost $262 dollars with their coupon code and free shipping. Seems that the axles alone are going for over 300 for the pair.

So I am a-hope-ing. Has anyone actually and recently bought this kit and can verify?

Also, can the struts be used with an upgraded chassis? Just temporarily, of course!

Got my batteries, CC BEC and Castlelink today, and the tracking on the kit now says tomorrow delivery. The motors and ESCs are showing Wednesday next week (dam free shipping!) and the 4PLS should be here Tuesday. That should give me time to paint the body this weekend.

I am not good at waiting......
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #12

Not sure if they come with the axles you speak of, but its a Bully 2.2, so wouldn't it have them i supppose...but i see where your coming from.

Hopefully i can confirm next week.

Only thing i can see in the specs is this- Bully 2 alloy/machined axle Gear Ratio.

But looking at this link from rc-recycler, looks as though they are the ones.

Not sure if they come with the axles you speak of, but its a Bully 2.2, so wouldn't it have them i supppose...but i see where your coming from.

Hopefully i can confirm next week.

Only thing i can see in the specs is this- Bully 2 alloy/machined axle Gear Ratio.

But looking at this link from rc-recycler, looks as though they are the ones.

Yep, axles alone are worth $150 used.

RC4WD Rock Crawler Bully Comp 2.2 Front & Rear MOA Axles

Last edited by THX_138; 05-06-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The bully ARTR has "bully 2.2 axles" these are the gun metal colored ones where the kingpin area looks like a birfield joint on a Toyota FJ40. There are another set of axles RC4WD released in I think in 2013 called "bully 2 competition" axles. These are completely different in many ways, some of them being they are much lighter, have wider track, and greater max steer angle. They have a textured matte black finish.

It is confusing and took me forever to figure this out. Their numbering is kind of ridiculous and maybe someone here can make sense of it.

Bottom line, you can compete with both but the 2.2 axles will take a lot of work to make them competitive and the bully 2 comp axles have a lot of that work already done for you, though I'm sure there's work to do with them yet. I wouldn't know for sure, I'm just a poser :-)

That's about all I know. I have the ARTR and a set of the bully 2 comp axles for a future crawler build. For now, the ARTR is my sons push toy until he's ready for an actual crawler :-)
karajabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #14

well, bottom line, the axles that come with it, are gonna get 10$ cans strapped to them, hooked to XFRs controlled thru a futaba with the help of some bec, steered bu a servo that would probably crack my finger if I stuck it in the wrong place, and if it impresses my three year old grandson or his 7 year old stepbrother and causes them to smile and laugh and have a good time, I will have spent my money wisely. The only thing I am competing with is a nintendo.
plus I live on a couple of rocky acres that tear my sct to shreds and have severely injured my yeti. time to use what I got and put those rocks to good use.

As far as getting the axles ready to compete, I understand the concept of reducing rotational inertia hence lightening gears, although I would think two high torque motors would not see much difference in power delivered to the wheel. But lightening the axle? and then putting weights back on at the wheel? I dont get that.

And thanks for the info on the axles, will know for certain tomorrow what exactly it comes with.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
As far as getting the axles ready to compete, I understand the concept of reducing rotational inertia hence lightening gears, although I would think two high torque motors would not see much difference in power delivered to the wheel. But lightening the axle? and then putting weights back on at the wheel? I dont get that.
Glad you mentioned that for i thought the same thing.

If anything i would have an upgraded and lighter axle at the rear...and have the heavier axle up front.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #16
RCC Addict

light gears and light axles (the parts that spin) to reduce power loss. light axle housing, chassis,
links, etc, for less overall weight and lower center of gravity. but then we do need a lot of weight
on the underside of the front knuckles for traction.

these crawlers seems to work best pulling themselves over obstacles. most of the effort is in building up the front end
and the back end just helps push. this is also why you see the ass end (seemingly) all jacked up. that is
for clearance going over humps. it is amazing how the good drivers seem to get part of the front end over the humps
and the crawler just grabs and pulls itself up and over, but in looking at their build threads you can see the
amount of work and effort they put into their rigs.

i have just given you guys six years of patient observation and study on this subject.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #17

Well hell. Darn if it didnt get here.
I'm trying to figure out where I got the idea it came with a VW body, I think it was some unboxing thread on youtube. My bad for watching it, it came with no body.

Bully 2.2 axles as Cabron predicted. They look fine to me.
Also got the ESCs to go with the batteries, BEC and castlelink that came yesterday. could get motors tomorrow, otherwise all by next week.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to smash the ESCs, they are quite small already at least compared to the rx8 in my truck.

Also need to lower the CoG and go find a body somewhere. Anyone have suggestions on what might fit?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #18
RCC Addict

if I didn't have so many other half built crawlers waiting on parts I would get one of these.
they sure look nice all new.

look around in your closets for any old toy cars and se if the bodies might be made to fit hahahaha
or ---- vws then cj5 jeeps then broncos were popular pretty much in that order then ford and chevy
pickups old and new, Humvees, you see vw busses, moogs, panel trucks, it has to do with how unique
you want to be and how clever you are. I have seen one person use a Tonka toy and another use a gi joe jeep

what will make the rug rats laugh?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
what will make the rug rats laugh?

Barbie corvette?
karajabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

"Grandkid bait" - lol!! That's excellent.

Since it sounds like you are building it mostly for fun, wouldn't sweat the axles. V1, 2, 2.2....Who cares? The kids won't. You've got an impressive pile of parts there, sounds to me like you are off to a great start!

Plenty of crawler bodies out on the market to choose from. However, If looking for something out of the norm for the kids, how about a lexan Lunchbox body? Tamiya Mini Body? Frankly, it's all in how you paint it if you ask me. My daughter had no interest in RC stuff until a Bikini Bottom themed grasshopper showed up with Sponge Bob at the wheel....She been begging to drive it all winter!

Good luck with your project!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Incoming! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New scale rims incoming. Vp Monkey Vanquish Products 126 12-15-2013 09:46 AM
anyone tracking an incoming package this morning?? mjc597 Chit Chat 4 02-16-2013 09:01 AM
Incoming storm JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 16 05-20-2009 07:01 AM