Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: New bully 2 rtr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New bully 2 rtr

Bully just got here today. Haven't ran it yet but have it out of the box and going over things. Some things stand out that have been mentioned like cleaning up the wiring but a couple other things came about upon closer look. One of my rear lower links is reversed from the other. Not sure if this was done to help clear the motor or a mistake in assembly. Easy fix if so. The other thing noticed I'm sure can be tuned out but the front is a lot tighter/stiff and not near as smooth as the rear. I'm new to this sport but from my understanding is it more typical to have a softer front/stiff rear (no funny stuff)

Other than that, I'm excited to get it moving and work on things

Last edited by TraskRiver; 07-28-2016 at 08:04 PM.
TraskRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New bully 2 rtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraskRiver View Post
Bully just got here today. Haven't ran it yet but have it out of the box and going over things. Some things stand out that have been mentioned like cleaning up the wiring but a couple other things came about upon closer look. One of my rear lower links is reversed from the other. Not sure if this was done to help clear the motor or a mistake in assembly. Easy fix if so. The other thing noticed I'm sure can be tuned out but the front is a lot tighter/stiff and not near as smooth as the rear. I'm new to this sport but from my understanding is it more typical to have a softer front/stiff rear (no funny stuff)

Other than that, I'm excited to get it moving and work on things
Keep the front tight. That allows the chassis to follow and let the rear do the work
Good luck, have fun!
ROCKCRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Bare with me here, new to this and will have a few questions along the way.

Dig.... So the remote has a black 3 position black switch in front of the steering. Which is illustrated in the diagram. But there is also a silver toggle switch near the thumb hold that looks like it was added. I would think the silver toggle would be for the dig but it does nothing. So the black slide switch is what operated the dig. Anyone else have this? Wondering if the switch was maybe added near the thumb but not wired.

Next: In standard driving mode (no dig) if I put the front tires in a slight bind (even as slight as the tires rubbing the link), they stop turning completely while the backs continue to turn. And also with the rear, if they are in a slight bind they stop moving completely and the front will continue to turn. Is this normal?

Next: It has an on off switch. If I leave the battery plugged in and turn it off, the lights stay illuminated on the esc and rx. Once I turn the tx off, 2 lights go out and a green light on the esc stays on along with a blinking red light on the rx. Doesn't bother me too much because I plan to eliminate the switch and upgrade the plug ends to deans. But, does this indicate a problem, not sure.

Last edited by TraskRiver; 07-28-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Search for the term, Clod stall.

And never ever leave your battery plugged in unless you're driving the truck at that moment. Ever.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Search for the term, Clod stall.

And never ever leave your battery plugged in unless you're driving the truck at that moment. Ever.
Gotcha. So it seems it's typical of a single esc moa setup. It doesn't do it with no load. But when the tires rub a bit in a turn it does so that may be an issue. I'll search some more for a possible fix.
I always unplug my batteries. Just thought it was weird it would do that.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:29 AM   #6
5th D Owner/Driver

To use that silver toggle switch as your dig move the plug from ch3 to ch4 on the receiver. Also flip the far rear link around that's in the pic, not the ones the motor wires are on, looks like someone didn't pay attention when assembled. Soft springs in the shocks and 30wt front and 60wt rear oil has been doing well so far.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Never leave your battery plugged in to the ESC always unplug and store batteries in a lipo sac or fire proff container. Cold still you might try checking pinion mesh to see if it to loose.

Last edited by tapped-out; 07-29-2016 at 09:04 AM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I don't. Already installed deans connectors. Gonna just eliminate the on/off switch to get rid of some of the bulky electronics. Someone mentioned decasing esc, I'll have to look into that
I'll check gear mesh too
Old 07-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I was hoping that a team driver would make a video on cleaning up shrinking the electronic package.... along with a maintenance an overview video of the new bully 2 for all the newbies.

A few quick videos would go along way for new comp crawler owners..
I'm your man rc4wd... hint hint....
Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I think I got the electrical part figured out following cboggs thread. Just need to find some bigger heat shrink.

Another question I'm trying to figure out is the knuckle weights they offer. Looks like they are only 1.6oz per tire when you buy the kit of 4pcs. Anyone know if you can stack more weight? looks like you can
Bully 2 Knuckle Weights

Are there better options for knuckle weights that allow more tuning?

Last edited by TraskRiver; 07-31-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure rc4wd offers add on weights... you might be able to drill and tap 3mm holes in the rc4wd knuckle weights and use rcbros add on weights... email blue Monkey (Matt) he might be able to help you...
Or
Bully 2 Knuckle Weight Holder |
Old 07-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Definitely go with rc bros. I hope he gets the weight holders back in stock soon.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Rcbros has a great weight system but the diameter could be bigger...
I just recently bought a weight system from Blue Monkey for my berg the diameter of the weights really filled up ID of my VP v4 wheels... almost 6oz of KW using 600 hubs..
My point is email BM first...

Look at the 2 outer weights. I wonder if you could buy those from BM and drill/tap your rc4wd KW.

Hopefully rc4wd will have add-on weights soon..

Last edited by tapped-out; 07-31-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I was looking at those. Cool.

Next question...lol
I forget who's post it was about changing spring rate in the shocks and adding different oil rates. So I've changes the rears to the light springs and added 30w. But, if you fill it with oil the shock does not compress. Not sure of the term/parts but it seems like there is no oil bleeding through the piston. So I took oil out until I got full compression. You can only fill them about half way. And it gives it no different feel than the other one with no oil. Only feel is the spring if that makes sense. So then I tried 60w with a light spring....filled about half way (so the shock still compresses) and it feels no different than the 30w shock. It's like the oil has no effect, only spring rate does. Thought they said these could be oiled. Am I missing something?

Last edited by TraskRiver; 07-31-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Tapped out, yes you can buy those half weights from BM. There called tuning weights.

Trask, I have seen people run 3 or 4 each side with the rc4wd weights.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #16
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraskRiver View Post
I was looking at those. Cool.

Next question...lol
I forget who's post it was about changing spring rate in the shocks and adding different oil rates. So I've changes the rears to the light springs and added 30w. But, if you fill it with oil the shock does not compress. Not sure of the term/parts but it seems like there is no oil bleeding through the piston. So I took oil out until I got full compression. You can only fill them about half way. And it gives it no different feel than the other one with no oil. Only feel is the spring if that makes sense. So then I tried 60w with a light spring....filled about half way (so the shock still compresses) and it feels no different than the 30w shock. It's like the oil has no effect, only spring rate does. Thought they said these could be oiled. Am I missing something?
Yeah not a huge difference like a normal shock, not really a fan of internal springs. In the end the answer will be to use SCX10 Icon shocks with some MRC silver springs (LOSB1447), post up in the wanted section and you should be able to grab those shocks cheap.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

For the rc4wd weights. I use 4 on each side. You can turn the second set, you put it on the other set, with the other side to the knuckle..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Tapped out, yes you can buy those half weights from BM. There called tuning weights.

Trask, I have seen people run 3 or 4 each side with the rc4wd weights.
Lol in know you can buy them... I wonder it they would work as add on weights using the rc4wd knuckle weight system.... if he bought the BM tuning weights, he'd need to modify his rc4wd knuckle weight. By drilling and tapping a 3mm hole...
It might not work... I think I depends on ID/OD of both weight systems.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Yeah not a huge difference like a normal shock, not really a fan of internal springs. In the end the answer will be to use SCX10 Icon shocks with some MRC silver springs (LOSB1447), post up in the wanted section and you should be able to grab those shocks cheap.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
For the rc4wd weights. I use 4 on each side. You can turn the second set, you put it on the other set, with the other side to the knuckle..

Gotcha. It looked like it was possible to flip them. Just wasn't sure if it would fit the rim.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post

Can you post a picture

New bully 2 rtr - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MK42 RTR VS Bully RTR BIG T RC4WD Bully 16 11-25-2010 07:00 AM