Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: What battery for Bully 2 RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What battery for Bully 2 RTR

I have no one to comp with, so that makes total sense.
Using the same size for consistency also makes total sense.

As I'm a loner, I like to run each rig 25 to 30 minutes between breaks, and battery changes.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I have no one to comp with, so that makes total sense.
Using the same size for consistency also makes total sense.

As I'm a loner, I like to run each rig 25 to 30 minutes between breaks, and battery changes.

Hang up and Drive
Yeah I've always been a lone driver too (when I actually had something to drive) The whole idea of this Bully is to get off the bench and get into the field. Have you been a lone driver because thats just your personality, or because of lack of other like minded drivers in your area? Its been a little of both in my case.
cloudswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Unfortunately only a few crawlers in this area. I've met a fair number of bashers/ racers, we used to have a county owned track for SC .... down here it's mainly planes and boats.
I would love to have a small group to compete on the rocks, I think I'm great(by myself !) but know I could learn just watching .
I envy the guys in the mountains ( in the summer )!

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Unfortunately only a few crawlers in this area. I've met a fair number of bashers/ racers, we used to have a county owned track for SC .... down here it's mainly planes and boats.
I would love to have a small group to compete on the rocks, I think I'm great(by myself !) but know I could learn just watching .
I envy the guys in the mountains ( in the summer )!

Hang up and Drive
Yeah lots of planes here too. I'm right in between 2 retired military bases 2 miles on either side of me, and they both have heavy RC planes on the weekends. I've thought for a long time of buying some big landscape rocks and having them delivered in my back yard, building a course or two, and then forcing my wife to take up the hobby so I'm not out there all alone
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
Yeah lots of planes here too. I'm right in between 2 retired military bases 2 miles on either side of me, and they both have heavy RC planes on the weekends. I've thought for a long time of buying some big landscape rocks and having them delivered in my back yard, building a course or two, and then forcing my wife to take up the hobby so I'm not out there all alone
Hello you live within driving distance of the best RC competitions rock crawling area's anywhere. To top that We Border Line Crawlers have practice comp and season series competitions once a month. Yes I say competition but honestly it's about just getting out with like minded individuals driving our comp crawlers. Some of us have been doing so for over 10yrs. Come on out on May 20th Horseman's park Apple valley ca. We'll be on the rock by 9am. You'll find we are low profile easy to get along with group of guys.
IMO back yard courses get boring fast. If you build one share some pictures.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Go for it !!!
TO knows of what he speaks, he will help you get to the next level.... he's done that here for me.

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Ok I did it! Ordered the Bully II RTR direct from RC4WD, and 2 Brood three cell 500mah batteries direct from Brood. Ok so when I get it, before I drive it, I need to grease the axels, swap the Tamiya plug with a Deans, relocate motor wires to the top position, and loctite the nuts .. anything else I'm missing? Ohh and what brand grease are people using these days, I still have a tube of that dark green marine grease around here .. will that do, or is there something better these days (I've been out of the hobby for a few years) Thanks guys!

Chris
Old 05-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Default What battery for Bully 2 RTR

You will have some cogging with the stock esc, the stock dig will work well enough to get you hooked, I've upgraded everything but the stock motors, that is a matter of time though.
Just go thru everything , make sure it's tight and use loctite. I had one missing screw, look up CBoggs rtr loaner thread, clock your axles and chubs

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 05-12-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Hello you live within driving distance of the best RC competitions rock crawling area's anywhere. To top that We Border Line Crawlers have practice comp and season series competitions once a month. Yes I say competition but honestly it's about just getting out with like minded individuals driving our comp crawlers. Some of us have been doing so for over 10yrs. Come on out on May 20th Horseman's park Apple valley ca. We'll be on the rock by 9am. You'll find we are low profile easy to get along with group of guys.
IMO back yard courses get boring fast. If you build one share some pictures.
That sounds awesome. How long are you guys there for, is it an all day thing?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You will have some cogging with the stock esc, the stock dig will work well enough to get you hooked, I've upgraded everything but the stock motors, that is a matter of time though.
Just go thru everything , make sure it's tight and use loctite. I had one missing screw, look up CBoggs rtr loaner thread, clock your axles and chubs

Hang up and Drive
Ok stupid noob question here, what is cogging?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That sounds awesome. How long are you guys there for, is it an all day thing?
Myself personally I'll be there from 7:30am till 4:00pm ish.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Cogging is what brushless motors do.
(But I've heard some say stock electronics in the B2 cog IDK)

Clod stall I what happens with single esc in a MOA crawler.

"what is clod stall? Is that where one axle turns and the other doesnt in a bind?"
(Above is a question from another thread.)

Answer... is yes. How to help if not stop clod stall would be to run dual esc's.
Maybe others can explain better

Mike owns a bull2 so he knows more about stock electronics in the bully2 then I do..
I own a berg crawler with dual Holmes Hobbies br-mini esc's.

Last edited by tapped-out; 05-12-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:25 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok stupid noob question here, what is cogging?
My stock ESC and radio gave me tons of issues. Cogging like crazy. Cogging is when you try to go really slow and it gets kinda jumpy. I switched to a ae5 ESC for now until I go dual ESC. They are very cheap and work 100 times better than stock.
That and my radio never wanted to stay in neutral. I got a futaba 4pls. But others use the sanwa mt4 which looks very nice for when you finally go dual ESC.
I would recommend completely disassembling the axles and check everything.
As far as grease I use either the gray stuff with moly in it or red and tacky.
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Cogging is what brushless motors do.
(But I've heard some say stock electronics in the B2 cog IDK)

Clod stall I what happens with single esc in a MOA crawler.

"what is clod stall? Is that where one axle turns and the other doesnt in a bind?"
(Above is a question from another thread.)

Answer... is yes. How to help if not stop clod stall would be to run dual esc's.
Maybe others can explain better

Mike owns a bull2 so he knows more about stock electronics in the bully2 then I do..
I own a berg crawler with dual Holmes Hobbies br-mini esc's.

I do have the B2 but I run a BRMD thru my 4PLS

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo93 View Post
My stock ESC and radio gave me tons of issues. Cogging like crazy. Cogging is when you try to go really slow and it gets kinda jumpy. I switched to a ae5 ESC for now until I go dual ESC. They are very cheap and work 100 times better than stock.
That and my radio never wanted to stay in neutral. I got a futaba 4pls. But others use the sanwa mt4 which looks very nice for when you finally go dual ESC.
I would recommend completely disassembling the axles and check everything.
As far as grease I use either the gray stuff with moly in it or red and tacky.
Hmmmm ..... I can't find an AE-5 anywhere in stock. There is one on ebay in the Virgin Islands, and its 32.00 shipped, wouldn't be here until middle of June it says. Is it a no brainer swapping that in? Electronics has always been hard for me to wrap my brain around. I can operate lathes and milling machines, and fabricate 1:1 parts, but electronics spook me
Old 05-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

If budget allows you can buy from Holmes Hobbies br-mini esc's dual

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini Dual - Speed Controllers - Electronics & Wiring

Or 2 single br-mini esc's and some wire

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini - Speed Controllers - Electronics & Wiring

Best esc on the market for a MOA crawler.

Bec is needed
Castle Creations BEC 10A

Like I've mentioned before if you need any help getting it running LMK. I've wired a few MOA crawlers.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
If budget allows you can buy from Holmes Hobbies br-mini esc's dual

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini Dual - Speed Controllers - Electronics & Wiring

Or 2 single br-mini esc's and some wire

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini - Speed Controllers - Electronics & Wiring

Best esc on the market for a MOA crawler.

Bec is needed
Castle Creations BEC 10A

Like I've mentioned before if you need any help getting it running LMK. I've wired a few MOA crawlers.
Thanks bro (its Dave right?) I actually have a brand new Castle bec -10a. I also have a Holmes BRXL .. could I use that in my Bully? I would definately need help wiring this all up, or some really clear pictures to follow. I was hoping though I could just throw a battery on it to begin with and drive around a little before ripping it all a part and rebuilding it. So I don't know when my Bully will actually get here, I ordered it last night direct from RC4WD, and the website said they were in stock, so if that truly is the case I imagine I'd see it thursday or friday from past experience. I ordered the batteries and some Deans from Brood as well last night, and I got tracking info from them already. I would need to coordinate with my wife to borrow her car to drive out there, my daily driver is a big Jeep XJ with detroit lockers front and rear, custom suspension, and 35's, and it only gets about 10mpg, I just can't afford the Gas to Apple Valley (or the harsh ride lol) Its very close to being a trailer rig, so I'm at her mercy to get out there, I'll work on it this coming week. Would you happen to have any pictures of your group in action out there, thatd be cool to see
Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hmmmm ..... I can't find an AE-5 anywhere in stock. There is one on ebay in the Virgin Islands, and its 32.00 shipped, wouldn't be here until middle of June it says. Is it a no brainer swapping that in? Electronics has always been hard for me to wrap my brain around. I can operate lathes and milling machines, and fabricate 1:1 parts, but electronics spook me
Should be very simple. Also an ae-5 is a rebranded Wp 1040 I think which is like 15$. Just hook it up the same way the old came out. If you use a bec make sure to wire it correctly. There's a few ways but most involve taking the red wire off the lead going to the receiver so it isn't double powered. I know what you mean it can be very intimidating especially with lipos and whatnot.
If you're that close to other people I would get out there and meet some! Let them show you a few things.

However. That is by far the cheapest way out of it.
I agree with tapped out that for the money you can't seem to beat Holmes hobbies. Best stuff fair price.

Before you blow money on an ESC though personally I would buy a castle bec, castle link or borrow one, and upgrade the steering servo first. Its always needed whether you're running dig or dual ESC. That is something that I wish I had done first. luckily I burnt mine up yesterday and finally have an excuse to buy a new one.

My first comp went fine until I didnt have enough steering torque to turn into the first gate on course two. Makes it very frustrating. And clod stall isn't nearly as frustrating. sometimes it seems to kinda help.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was hoping though I could just throw a battery on it to begin with and drive around a little before ripping it all a part and rebuilding it.
I dont suggest this. I did it and my axle almost fell in half by the time I got back inside.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

You should always go thourgh a RTR rig scale or comp check all screws and move the motor wires to top of motor (some screws will be loose).
Other than that drive the rig as is so when you do upgrades you see the difference. Brxl if it will fit in the chassis you could replace stock esc with the Brxl. Or sell the brxl to pay for part of the br-mini esc's.

https://youtu.be/919uIZzc8SE

My name is Matt.

BTW congrats on your purchase. Read up on some issues that might come up with the B2 axles so you can prevent them.
CVD's, bearings ECT. I'll look for bearing mod links.

Last edited by tapped-out; 05-13-2017 at 01:31 PM.

What battery for Bully 2 RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MK42 RTR VS Bully RTR BIG T RC4WD Bully 16 11-25-2010 07:00 AM