Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Dan's Bully2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Dan's Bully2

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share some of my recent experiences with the RC4WD Bully2 RTR model.
Just wanted to clarify that I'm by no means a comp driver (no such comps where I live ), therefore it was all meant for having plain RC crawling fun.

I'm somewhat new to the RC world, just have a scale MST CFX which I upgraded and it is overall fun to drive, but I learned quickly that I'm far more interested in crawling the big rocks!
Obviously for such task, I needed a comp crawler like the Bully2, which AFAIK, is probably the only RTR option in the market.
I chose to go with RTR because I didn't have any spare electronics available for the Kit version, and frankly what you get in the RTR is totally worth it IMHO (I mean the $100 delta). Particularly the dig unit, haven't seen them on sale nowadays (let me know if you have). Also bought the knuckle weights, had to, they fit like a glove.

At first, I tried the fully stock version, it definitely didn't disappoint (especially after being used to climbing with a scale model...), the capabilities of a MOA are truly amazing.
However, the Bully2 can give so much more if properly upgraded. I did my homework before buying this model, but being quite tight on budget left me with little options. So I decided to efficiently increase performance by changing the stock servo with a PowerHD 23kg/cm (which I got for a really low price) and the stock ESC with the Hobbywing 1080 (which I honestly think is the best value money can buy). Additionally, I changed the stock shocks with Gmade XD Aeration 93mm that I had (with the softest springs) - this made a really big difference btw.
Needless to say that I performed some tuning like:
- Clocked C hubs by one slot (seemed to be enough)
- Unscrewed rear upper links a little from both sides to clock the rear axle
- Attached the shocks on the farthest lower hole (both front and rear)
- Shortened wires
- Placed dig unit at the bottom

The Bully did much better with these upgrades for quite some time. But then I started to get annoyed by two frequent issues:
1. Rear axle stall on steep climbs
2. Servo barely turned the wheels in tight spots
The servo part was a no-brainer, I just needed a stronger one (yes, 23kg/cm is not enough for this beast), hence I bought a Holmes Hobbies HV500v2 (which completely solved this problem).
As for the stalling, I read that it happens due to electric current preferring the less under load motor, and remedy can be obtained by switching to dual ESCs. Yet for me it involved purchasing a quite expensive radio system that includes channel mixing (at a starting cost of ~$180), and... another ESC. After kindly consulting with EddieO via PM, I decided to finally go "all-in" and get myself a pair of new hand wound motors
I replaced the stock machine wound Boosts with Brood Apocalypse HHK-T + some additional mods.
Front motor 35T, rear 30T, and pinions were left stock 14t. Consequently, stall was practically gone, and climbing capability was tremendously upgraded. Overall, I suppose a good balance between wheel speed and torque was achieved.

I didn't do any photos yet, however I did upload a video that you may see some crawling in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ny-YtBnLs

Please let me know of any additional upgrades (not too expensive ) that you would do in order to further increase performance.

Cheers,
Dan
Dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 AM   #2

Default Re: Dan's Bully2

Here are some photos:

I decided to follow the recommendations in Bully Comp Tires thread by Nova's Ark and vent/trim the tires, definitely noticed the difference there.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

Specifically for usage in Bully, what's the advantage of Dravtech shocks? Are they better than others?
Old 05-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannko View Post
Specifically for usage in Bully, what's the advantage of Dravtech shocks? Are they better than others?
They are A big bore shock that has been milled down and has the cap mod done to them.
All in all a great shock
chevotafun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

2nd time posting.i also just got my first rc"at age 50" 2-3 months ago.. after dumping 180 into a redcat rs10,then 1200 into a axial wraith that i love..i got the bully 3 weeks ago..just broke small gear last night beside the drive locker..that being said i also ordered dravtech shocks from dluxfab.com with soft springs.. and brass knuckles with weights and alum top,and fba 8mm axle shafts and 8mm hubs..now im into my bully a grand and havent got the much needed hh brmd smashed esc,s ,and a bec..i did order the hitec 7950th as stock wont turn wheels sitting still lol..soulds like ur enjoying yours as much as i do mine..i feel im almost a pro with the bully2 lol..im enjoying the learning cruve.. my rock cours is pretty hard core and only my bully can do most of it..wraith and redcat about 3/4 of it lol..
love you cars look..looks great!! happy crawling,john in fla

Last edited by bluesky106; 05-10-2018 at 01:33 PM.
bluesky106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #6

Yep, it's a great crawler. Btw awesome upgrades you did there. About the looks, seems like I have a somewhat artistic spirit so painted it with acrylics, but after a few falls it usually starts to crack and I have to repaint some parts... I decided to cover the inner side with a layer of epoxy, maybe it will save the paint, so far so good.

About Dravtech shocks, I'm in a dilemma, is it worth changing from my XD Aeration?
They both have same diameter bodies, same overall length (in my case 93mm). Gmade has wider springs but I never noticed that they bother or get in the way. Gmade have rings to adjust spring stiffness on the go (although I don't actually change it much). Dravtech are all metal while Gmade have plastic caps and spring bases, not sure if it's good or bad. Please let me know if I missed something or if my analysis is somehow incorrect.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #7

im a newb to rc,s. but have already dropped/rolled one of my crawlers from 7-8ft within the first few min of driving 40 miles to crawlzone in ocala fl,broke a plastic shock and couldnt run, and had to drive home.. i still have them on other cars where the shock isnt as exposed and like them just fine..with the dravtech im gonna run them upside down and hope i only mess up springs and not the pretty orange shock that goes with my color theme..wishfull thinking as we no things never work out the way we want.
well the wife has the weekend planned for me, im going to see the blue angels at 2018 airfest in tampa sat.. havent seen them in 40 yrs..hope i can handle all the walking and humidity..jet fuel smell will get me thru the day tho lol. bass fishing sunday on the withalacoochie river whoohooo
have a good weekend!!
enjoyed your video btw
Old 05-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #8

Got myself Crawler Innovations Double Deuce foams, comp cut with soft for front and medium for rear.
Should have a better grip with these on, can't wait to give it a try.

Additionally, lowered both upper links to middle hole, I suppose it will help on steep climbs. I have the dig unit below so at first I didn't think it will be possible due to cross braces positions.
However, after I measured it, I saw that the braces actually hold tightly the dig unit from both sides, that is even better now

Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #9

being new to this i thought the stock b2 rtr foams were very cushy after venting the heck out of them lol.. but, i have the dd ci foams on my heavy axial wraith and there the best thing ever for sure..let me no if these foams seem to crawl better than stock.
like you im all about crawling. obstacles most guys at the rc track stay away from,scared to bash there stuff i guess lol..they stay on the scale courses/track..while im climbing the steep rocks on the side lines of the courses..glad the owner dont mind

Tags
bully 2, comp crawler, moa bully, rc crawler, upgrade parts

Dan's Bully2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dan's Hilux reboot/2.0 Sugarfree85 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 0 01-21-2017 12:31 PM
Dan's YETI Dan110 Axial Yeti 13 09-20-2016 11:40 PM
Lieutenant Dan's sawback HunterGilmore G-Made Sawback 6 06-18-2014 04:43 PM
Dan's MRC crawladan Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 02-02-2009 07:16 PM