Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bully II Wiring Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

Default Bully II Wiring Issues

I just picked up a pretty much unused Bully II RTR from a guy online. The rear motor has something going on with it. The front wheels spin when plugged in and set in either the front axle or both axle position on the transmitter. The rear motor makes the typical engine whine sound, but wont turn at all. The DIG unit's lights switch to indicate which motors are being powered when i mess with the switch on the transmitter.

I am a bit lost at what might be causing this issue, and where to start testing. I was thinking about pulling the rear motor and hooking it up to the known good front wiring to see if it is the problem.

Another thing is the wiring for the BEC. The guy cut the Tamiya plug and soldered his own TRX plug on (halfassed borderline dangerous), but looking at pictures of the stock setup, it looks like he also cut the little red JST plug off that goes to the BEC and instead plugged the BEC into the fan port on the ESC. Maybe this is causing issues?

During my testing i plugged in everything and turned it on, but the rear motor wires from the DIG got warm, so i unplugged the battery and noticed the wires on the rear motor were plugged across instead of in line (if that makes sense, kinda like negative to one of the 2 positive terminals and positive to the other positive terminal on the other side. My fault for not double checking his work.). When i wired it back to exactly how the front motor was, it made noise, but will not actually turn.

Is it a bad motor? or BEC? or was the jacked up wiring enough to fry the whole show and i need to start from scratch? I picked it up for $275, so I'm honestly not too upset. I just want to get this thing on the rocks.

Thanks!
RHEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bully II Wiring Issues

I suspect the factory dig unit.
Mine worked until one day when it was glitching only the rear motor. Swapped things around and dumped the dig. I’m running a BRMD and love it.
Same motor is still running strong

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

First check the rear motor to see if its locked up. If it ends up being fine, get everything hooked up normal. When you look at the back of motor, 2 tabs up top and 2 on bottom. One side is positive and other side is negative. If they were hooked up on the same side, then that's your problem. If hooked up across top/bottom then that's fine. Usually you pick the 2 top tabs. There is a + symbol on the back, it should be off center next to motor shaft and which side its on, is postive side top/bottom. My dig switch also glitched, just rear motor too. If I tapped the rig, it would start working and did this multiple times during each battery. Also the stock esc is a joke though, no lvc and cogs, plus a glitchy dig switch, makes it not fun. I would just get a holmes dual esc and add a cc bec and run the stock motors and have some fun.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
5th D Owner/Driver

Also check to see if the motor pinion is engaging the gears, or if there's even a pinion gear on it...
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #5

Ok, i just finished pulling everything apart. The rear motor when hooked up to the front wires spun up perfectly. I put everything back together and the rear still wouldn't work. I then tapped on top of the DIG and it almost drove itself off the table (thanks for the suggestion 84yoda). Seems to me the DIG is glitching.

I have a couple remaining problems:
First, the BEC wiring is still confusing me. Is it fine to be plugged in to that fan port on the ESC? Or should i try to get it re wired back to the main battery connection

Second, the grub/set screw for the pinion is burred on the inside from the previous owner and its incredibly difficult to get a tool into it to loosen or tighten it. Can i use a generic replacement? or are those specific for the car?

Third, what would be a decent budget option for a dual motor setup ESC? I am not familiar with BRMD. This is my first comp crawler. I'm still learning.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Which one do you have? Mine came with the first one. But sound like you have the second one?

Outcry Crawler Speed Controller ESC with TurboBEC

Outcry Crawler Dual Motor ESC w. Fan & TurboBEC

This is the holmes br mini dual esc (what Mike and me mentioned): Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini Dual - Speed Controllers - Electronics & Wiring

The br mini is expensive but totally worth it, but if you want something cheaper, I think a few people have successfully made 2 hobbywing 1080 work, but you need to solder them up. Another option is pick up a hobbywing 1080 esc and contact losikid on here about this dig switch. His dig switch is pretty legit, you can adjust "trim" to speed up/down motor speed to create over drive in the front, which is what you can do with dual escs. Im not sure what he charges for it though. And pinion, if you can get the grub screw out, you can pick up a new grub screw. If you have to cut it off, look into robinson racing absolute hardened pinions. Stock is 14t.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

Mine has the red fins on top, but it also has a 2 prong that the guy wired the BEC in to for some reason. It is possible it just doesn't have the fan anymore, but it looks just like the first one you linked. Mine has plastic molded around the components at the base of it like this: (https://www.ebay.com/p/RC4WD-Z-e0007...BEC/2256187233)

I did manage to get the grub out easily enough thankfully.

I only have the RTR stock transmitter or my trusty Tactic TX300 from my SCX10.2. I was hoping to keep the price down, but it turns out these might be slightly more expensive than i first thought.

It looks like there are a couple ways to get dual motors going.
1)solder 2 standard ESCs together.
2)buy a dual motor ESC.
3)buy a single ESC and a DIG switch to swap between them.

Which would get me going using the stock transmitter for the lowest cost? I've got Christmas coming up and i don't want the wife getting too angry.

Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Dual esc are the only way. The dig switch is trouble.the BRMD will work well and is a small footprint. You will need a castle link to set it up

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

Will i be able to use my stock transmitter with the BRMD? I'll look into them at some point today.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yes it has enough channels.no proportional throttle though

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ya these toys ain't cheap, lol.

Can you solder and be able to figure out how to wire up a dual esc? If not, check with losikid on his dig switch and pick up whatever esc you want. That's probably the cheaper route.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
5th D Owner/Driver

Take a look through here on what I did to the stock electronics to make sure your wired right. Dual esc's will not work correctly with the stock radio.

"Loaner" Bully 2 RTR
Old 11-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Im picking up a Bully 2 rtr today and wondering if I can run the dual tekin fxr with the stock remote?

thanks!!
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheworks View Post
Im picking up a Bully 2 rtr today and wondering if I can run the dual tekin fxr with the stock remote?

thanks!!
Nope
Old 11-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Nope
nice short and sweet answer I assume this is because the remote does not allow mixing and so no way to control 2 channels with the throttle right?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yes. That’s why I went to a Futaba. I’m running dual br minis

Hang up and Drive
Old 11-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #17
5th D Owner/Driver

With the stock radio and no mixing its either off or on, no throttle control for the other channel.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #18
Yashua

Dual ESCs and Futaba 4PLS, done .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

well after about 5-6 hours of re-wiring the RTR last night I get it all back together and had the dreading cogging/ surging issue with the esc. Its crazy how much extra wiring they put in these things I was happy that everything worked haha but seriously... it didn't do this before I re-wired it so I thinks its weird and rather shitty they put this huge esc in these things and they're absolute crap apparently. hopefully getting some fxr's and a bec tonight on a trade. I also tightened everything and turned the knuckles up but now the steering link hits the axle so ima have to get a new titanium steering link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Dual ESCs and Futaba 4PLS, done .
yeah I'm trading an eagle3 knock off twin hammers car for dual tekin fxr's, a castle bec and 45t motors. I'm going to try to stuff the motors on my buddys rs10.

I'm going to have to keep the dig switch for now and only run 1 fxr cause the futaba is not in the budget.

whats the opinion on the savox sa1230 sg? is this a good replacement servo?

https://www.amazon.com/SA1230SG-Mons...s=savox+1230+s

Last edited by THX_138; 11-24-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Bully II Wiring Issues

Weak..... look at a Holmes, ProModeler , or if Savox 2290.
500 oz really works well, you will also need a bec to Power, unless you choose the holmes.

Both my PM and Holmes are notably stronger than this one. Don’t know if it’s overrated or mine are that much stronger.
Either way spend the extra $30.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 11-08-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Bully II Wiring Issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3S issues...or just bad wiring? pike2350 Electronics 8 03-22-2012 05:55 AM
bully wiring bigj00 RC4WD Bully 1 07-20-2010 04:23 AM
CCBEC wiring issues dezertdog Electronics 2 10-09-2007 10:02 PM
wiring issues newbie need some help guys richieboy24 Newbie General 2 09-27-2007 05:34 PM
Wiring issues The Dirt General Crawlers 4 10-04-2006 09:16 PM