RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Bully (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-bully/)
-   -   Clocking the Front Motor?? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-bully/616053-clocking-front-motor.html)

crawlercon 03-01-2020 11:31 AM

Clocking the Front Motor??

Ever since I first got on a rock with my B2 that rear motor hanging down so much made rear axle hangups common unless a perfect line is chosen. I started thinking about trying to "clock" it up more out of the way. I measured and figured if I got some upper links that are 15mm longer that would put it up about the right amount to be in line with the lower arched links. I've added rear steer so the hubs need to be clocked too to keep steering geometry correct. Fortunately this is all easy with the B2 axles.

After getting this idea I googled for a bit to see if anyone else had done it and turns out it's pretty common and I learned the longer rod ends just happen to add 15mm, and I had a pair in the parts box, so I did it last night. I wish I had come up with this before as it looks great and I can't wait to try it out on the rocks today as soon as that last battery finishing charging.

So getting around to the point of this thread, have people been clocking the front axle too, and do you find it much of an advantage other than not getting as hung on things when reversing?

Most of the time I run a 1300 3 cell on my front axle so that isn't tiny but lasts longer and it's possible the tie rod might hit the battery in full lock steer, since with the clocked axle housing the battery will also be setting at an angle pointing forward. Without building it I'm not sure if this will be an issue but I don't have another pair of long rod ends handy. I'm running my tie rods on top of the steering ears for better approach and departure angle with might make this possible battery contact issue worse on the front. No battery on the rear so no said issues on the rear.

mr4x4king 04-26-2020 07:34 AM

Re: Clocking the Front Motor??

What rod ends are you using? Do you have a part number

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Tanz 06-06-2020 04:45 AM

Ive just ordered rc4wd part Z-S1375 to do mine, hope this is right

nathanotis 12-21-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanz (Post 6027393)
Ive just ordered rc4wd part Z-S1375 to do mine, hope this is right

What'd you find about this? I just ordered the same rod ends.

pcgab 12-24-2020 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Traxxas 5525 work well for this, as do the RC4WD longer rod ends. RC4WD stocks a good selection of different rod ends, offset, bent, etc. typically in m3/m4 and larger m4 specific, as I recall.

I'm using some 5525 ends and some of the longer RC4WD ends. I just checked my stash, and have an un-opened package, I'll attach a picture of it.

I clocked my rear a good bit, as I'm using outrunner brushless motors and the spinning case likes to 'lathe' itself on the rocks, if I'm not careful :D

I've found the Traxxas 5525 and the RC4WD work well, I think the Traxass ones generally seem to move a tiny bit better, but that could just be some one offs.

Cheers,
Gable