Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: motor covers & tyre mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #1

Default motor covers & tyre mods

Hi
Loving my new bully, is there such thing as motor protectors as im beating mine up a bit already, also I saw a picture of a bully in a competition with standard kit tyres but had some rows of tread cut out, is this a good thing or just for specific surfaces?
Tanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: motor covers & tyre mods

There is a massive "only cut tires thread"

I'm no expert but its done with the idea of improving traction. Its a bit of experimenting and trial and error.

There are likely motor guards available somewhere but Comp crawler parts are a bit less common these days and you're likely to only find them at boutique RC outfits.

I know Holmes Hobbies has a motor guard but I haven't tried it. https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/par...tor-sav-r.html

I clocked my axles by lengthening the upper links, this raised the motor up a bit. A guard would still be nice.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
There is a massive "only cut tires thread"

I'm no expert but its done with the idea of improving traction. Its a bit of experimenting and trial and error.

There are likely motor guards available somewhere but Comp crawler parts are a bit less common these days and you're likely to only find them at boutique RC outfits.

I know Holmes Hobbies has a motor guard but I haven't tried it. https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/par...tor-sav-r.html

I clocked my axles by lengthening the upper links, this raised the motor up a bit. A guard would still be nice.
Thanks, I've heard a little about clocking the axles, guess this means turning them?, how far can you go?do you just lengthen stock rods or are new ball end required?
Old 06-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanz View Post
Thanks, I've heard a little about clocking the axles, guess this means turning them?, how far can you go?do you just lengthen stock rods or are new ball end required?

Yeah this is essentially rotating the axle to raise the motor. I used some longer rod ends to lengthen the upper links. Up front you can only go so far before you have clearance issues (one upper link will hit the tranny).
Make sure you also clock the C-hubs so they're oriented back the way they were.

Front

rear

I also tried my hand at cutting tires with the stock Bully tire. They still seem to work well though I didnt do a back to back test before and after.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-05-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:18 AM   #5

cool thanks
Old 06-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

There’s a couple motor guards on shapeways

http://https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/tech/rc-cars?tag=bully2
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post

Somehow I forgot about 3D printed solutions but good god Shapways just stop with your ridiculous pricing! HH delrin cover for $8 or pay 2-3.5 times as much for a 3D printed version

Now if you can design and print one yourself now thats something, I might give that a shot.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default motor covers & tyre mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Somehow I forgot about 3D printed solutions but good god Shapways just stop with your ridiculous pricing! HH delrin cover for $8 or pay 2-3.5 times as much for a 3D printed version

Now if you can design and print one yourself now thats something, I might give that a shot.

Something I can work on! I’ve been just dialing in my axle mounted electronics tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote

motor covers & tyre mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REC 15th Anniversary Scorcher SRB & Motor covers + GIVEAWAY! Alloy Gea toyranosaur Chassis and Suspension 20 06-30-2018 11:15 AM
Motor Plates & Dust Covers from Devil RC Locked Up Axles, Trannys, T-case 0 03-11-2016 03:59 PM
Motor Plates & Dust Covers from Devil RC Locked Up Locked Up RC 0 03-11-2016 03:50 PM
Tyre mods? pajey Redcat Crawlers 10 11-01-2012 12:45 AM