Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Dravtech Shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dravtech Shocks?

I’m down to the last component here I want to upgrade .. shocks, are these Dravetechs the ones I want for a Bully II https://dluxfab.com/Dravtech-short-shocks-p83003157 And do I want to add the 1/4” spacer under piston option? And what spring option should I get .. soft? Thanks!
cloudswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dravtech Shocks?

The soft and ultra soft are a good range to have I think. I run the ultra softs up front and the softs in back.

Not sure on the limiter, I run the longer mediums (106mm) with limiters but I dont have experience with the shorts.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
The soft and ultra soft are a good range to have I think. I run the ultra softs up front and the softs in back.

Not sure on the limiter, I run the longer mediums (106mm) with limiters but I dont have experience with the shorts.
The shorts are going to be the closest length to the stock RC4WD Shocks right? I wasn’t even sure what those 1/4” spacers did .. now I do .. they’re limiters .. ok cool, so it seems then if I’m running the shorts leave out the Limiter .. anyone else? What was your logic in going with the mediums? Thanks Humboldt
Old 10-31-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
The shorts are going to be the closest length to the stock RC4WD Shocks right? I wasn’t even sure what those 1/4” spacers did .. now I do .. they’re limiters .. ok cool, so it seems then if I’m running the shorts leave out the Limiter .. anyone else? What was your logic in going with the mediums? Thanks Humboldt

I think so, everyone recommends the shorts. I just didnt do my research when I got them
Old 11-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I think so, everyone recommends the shorts. I just didnt do my research when I got them
Yeah ok that’s what I thought. So I got Samu Sarka saying spacers probably not needed, and 2 guys at the Dlux Facebook group saying get spacers lol. So is it pretty easy to remove those spacers if I decide I don’t want them .. would you know? And then the most crucial decision of all .. silver or black shock bodies Thanks!
Old 11-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yesterday It came to me why the spacer is recommended, Eric says there is a dead spot at the bottom of travel where the piston touches the bottom of the shock body and there is no flow through the piston. This spacer keeps the piston from bottoming out.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Just FYI, the Traxxas Big Bore series of shocks are the same thing as the Dravtec. All internal parts are interchangable and if you buy the Dravtec upper shock caps you can install them on the Traxxas Big Bores. The Big Bores are available in three lengths.

#2660 are 85mm $27 on Amazon (pair)
#2661 are 95mm $30 on Amazon (pair)
#2662 are 105mm

All lengths are approximate as Traxxas does not actually publish the lengths. The Dravtec upper caps and required rod ends will add approximately 10mm to the shock length. Using the Dravtec lower spring retainers I have had great experience with the Losi Mini-T rear springs. I currently have one set of Dravtec shocks and other than color I can tell no difference between them and the Traxxas Big Bores.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yesterday It came to me why the spacer is recommended, Eric says there is a dead spot at the bottom of travel where the piston touches the bottom of the shock body and there is no flow through the piston. This spacer keeps the piston from bottoming out.
Yeah I watched Eric’s whole video on assembling Dravtech’s and that seems to make sense. Today on his Facebook group when answering my question where to get 3.75” shocks he said the Dravtech Mediums .. but those things are 106mm (4 1/8”) .. even with a .25” spacer that’s quite a bit longer than the 3.5” Bully shocks the geometry is set up for. Eric’s running 3.75” shocks on his rigs but those things are quite a bit different than a stock Bully II, so I’m thinking just getting the 90mm Dravtech’s without the spacers for now till I get some drive time under my belt, Samu Sarka also said I should be good with 90’s without spacers, so I think that’s probably what I’m gonna order tonight. Only thing I’m stuck on now is black or silver color lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Just FYI, the Traxxas Big Bore series of shocks are the same thing as the Dravtec. All internal parts are interchangable and if you buy the Dravtec upper shock caps you can install them on the Traxxas Big Bores. The Big Bores are available in three lengths.

#2660 are 85mm $27 on Amazon (pair)
#2661 are 95mm $30 on Amazon (pair)
#2662 are 105mm

All lengths are approximate as Traxxas does not actually publish the lengths. The Dravtec upper caps and required rod ends will add approximately 10mm to the shock length. Using the Dravtec lower spring retainers I have had great experience with the Losi Mini-T rear springs. I currently have one set of Dravtec shocks and other than color I can tell no difference between them and the Traxxas Big Bores.
Thanks for the info inspector, they kinda said the same thing last night on the Dlux group when I asked what to do when it’s time to rebuild the Dravtech’s. Only reason I want the Dravtech’s right now is the color choice
Old 12-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'm running the shorts all around, with the ~6mm(~1/4") spacers. Ultra soft springs in front, soft in rear, and ~25wt oil all around, as I recall.

I am planning on trying ~3mm spacers for the rear at some point.

Cheers,
Gable
pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote

Dravtech Shocks? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DravTech Comp Shocks and Springs Dravpnir Chassis and Suspension 22 07-01-2020 10:42 AM
Dravtech shocks DKOR Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 04-11-2018 10:54 AM