Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Sticky stock shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Sticky stock shocks

Aside from swapping them out, is there anything that can be done about the tendency of the stock shocks to stick after sitting for a bit?
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Sticky stock shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
Aside from swapping them out, is there anything that can be done about the tendency of the stock shocks to stick after sitting for a bit?
Samu Sarka has a build on his youtube channel 'Zero 2 Hero'. He discuss the shocks and what he does with them to improve their performance.

If you haven't yet, I would probably take them apart, and put a drop or two of shock oil on the shaft and o-rings and cycle them through. You can also run oil in them.

I don't use them, instead I have a set of the D-Lux Fab shocks:

https://dluxfab.com/Dravtech-short-shocks-p83003157

I use ultra-soft in front, and soft in the rear. I run 20wt all around in the winter and ~40 or 45 in the summer. I'm down in Central Texas, so the summer heat is very hot, and 20wt just wont do anything in that heat.

For the ~$80.00 USD investment, I can't think of many other upgrades for the Bully that give you so much performance, and the ability to tweak and tune nearly endlessly.

That being said, the stock shocks can be made to work pretty well. Dig through Samu's zero2hero videos where he assembles the shocks and talks about his setup and you'll be on the right path.

Good luck!
~Gable
pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgab View Post
Samu Sarka has a build on his youtube channel 'Zero 2 Hero'. He discuss the shocks and what he does with them to improve their performance.
Oh, I'm very familiar with Z2H! I've lubricated the shocks with a few drops of oil each. They get WAY too stiff if you try filling them. I haven't disassembled them, but I'd guess there's no ports... Maybe I should port the pistons... Hmmm.

Quote:
I don't use them, instead I have a set of the D-Lux Fab shocks:

I use ultra-soft in front, and soft in the rear. I run 20wt all around in the winter and ~40 or 45 in the summer. I'm down in Central Texas, so the summer heat is very hot, and 20wt just wont do anything in that heat.
This is on my short-list of things to do. I've been on his page and talking with Eric a bit today. Did you end up going with the shorts or the mediums? And what about the spacer? If you went short: Does it limit the travel/performance noticeably?

I'm going to take some measurements when I get home to see if I can get the mediums to work. More = Better in my mind (Plus, the mediums are in stock in my color ;) )
nathanotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanotis View Post
This is on my short-list of things to do. I've been on his page and talking with Eric a bit today. Did you end up going with the shorts or the mediums? And what about the spacer? If you went short: Does it limit the travel/performance noticeably?

I'm going to take some measurements when I get home to see if I can get the mediums to work. More = Better in my mind (Plus, the mediums are in stock in my color ;) )

I went with shorts. I had the ~6mm limiters in them, but found it a bit short. I'm going to put in some ~3mm nylon spacers I have on hand to try at some point in the future.

I think some folks like a longer shock in the rear especially on the Bully's. You might ask some folks on the Dlux facebook group, as there are lots of bully owners there that are running his awesome shocks.

IIRC Erik says he likes a ~3 3/4" shock, with a ~1/4" spacer. The shorts he sells are 92.5mm eye to eye, or 3.64 inches (~3 5/8" approx). The mediums are 106mm eye to eye, or 4.17 inches (~4 3/16'ish).

I've bought his cap mod, no pre-load cups, etc. and put those on big bores with mini-t springs. They work very well, cost almost exactly the same. I prefer the Dlux shocks as the bodies are nice and slim, makes them so much easier to fit with good clearance.

Cheers,
Gable
pcgab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
just buy dravtech shocks

Sticky stock shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shocks became very sticky after oil change lsone Traxxas TRX-4 8 03-29-2018 09:05 PM
Sticky Shocks EverettY Axial XR10 10 09-18-2012 10:55 AM
Sticky Shocks millrtme General Scale Talk 10 09-16-2010 06:46 PM
sticky shocks rippa55 Kyosho Crawlers 2 01-21-2009 11:00 PM