Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: The perfect Bully V2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2022, 09:22 PM   #1

Default The perfect Bully V2

Hey guys! I have recently got into crawling. I started with scalers and worked my way up to moa. I have successfully built my own moa and honestly, I am a bit obsessed! After the moa with 4WS I wanted to move to something more... Elegant! Therefore, I am on a mission to build the perfect Bully V2 from a non legal standpoint and although I am a total newbie to this sport, I really enjoy being blown away by the impossible climbing capabilities. I I am learning as I go. The first thing I learned is even with the nicest crawler in the world, I couldn't compete with these pro drivers! I learned that the hard way after I was over confident with a much more expensive rig then my buddy, yet he out crawled me and then he out crawled himself with mine hahahha. Made it even that much more fun for me to know that this isn't a pay to win only sport!

Anyhow, I have spoken to a few of the championship winners across the world via email and commenting on their videos and between all of them and their diverse preferences this is what I came up with for the perfect build from a non customized standpoint. I need your opinions if these will mesh together well and if dig will be optional? (Never had dig yet and forgot to ask, how does this feature even work?) Price is not an issue! Go big or go home. Prices may vary

Bully V2 Kit - $500

ESC - Holmes Hobby torquemaster be mini dual $160
(ESC specifications - 7.4v, integrated at esc, leads to esc plug)
I think I will be able to handle the programming portion of this. I heard it's rather simple.

Servo - SHV500V2 $120 ( apparently eliminates the need for bec?)

Tires- Jconcepts ruptures with proline dual stage foam or bully tires (with some added little techniques to improve)

Motors - Puller 500 13T Team motor $124 each (apparently runs the same as 30 T with 5 pulls?)

Battery - Any known brand 500-850mah with 70C depending on course.

Shocks - Vary per person - but most have said full droop. (I'll probably just go with desert lizards since I already own them)

Knuckle weights - $30

Bully 2 8 degree C hubs x2 $56

Switch to universal Axel's if not already installed $ 46

Radio?... Lots of diverse options here.
No idea! Need suggestions here, I am not picky just want one that will work with simple dig button and preferably lipo compatible. ( I hate changing batteries all the time)

Dig feature? No idea how this works or is applied, advice on how to get the dig function with these electronics is greatly appreciated.

Will all these electronics mesh smoothly? Help is greatly appreciated. What would you do if you could build your perfect Bully, I'm curious of that also.

Side note: If someone more experienced could build this for me, that may also be something I am interested in if that is allowed here. I'm assuming it'll be around $1500 just for the parts or so. Obviously I would pay for your time and effort.

Last edited by Cage; 06-28-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2022, 12:44 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

A Bully II can be a great rig when set up with the right tuning and components, though for the kind of money you are looking at investing, maybe also consider the Dlux Fab 2.2P kit option with the super lite axles.

It’d be worthwhile to check out Harley’s recent livestream with Nabil where they discuss the comp scene and moa rigs that are available, along with other classes of crawlers.

You’re on the right track with Holmes Puller motors and the BR mini dual, but Puller 400’s instead of 500’s will save you some size and weight and still provide loads of power. It’s personal preference, but I like the 500 for a shafty, and 400’s for MOA.

There’s a good number of quality servos out there. A new offering with some wildly impressive specs would be the ProTek 1K TBL…all the torque someone could ever need and then some, providing you were ok with wiring in a BEC. Pretty decent transit speed as well. If we’re talking ultimate 2.2P builds, that one would definitely be in the running.

If you do opt for the Bully platform, a nice set of knuckle weights such as the Dlux option will help it out quite a bit. Dravtech medium length shocks should be considered as well.

Instead of the Bully tires, go with one of the better options available like the PL Ibex, Ruptures, or Dlux. Crawler Innovations will be your best bet for getting narrow, two stage foams with sizing options for the correct tire height.

Overall you have some nice components picked out and in the end, the perfect build will likely be different for everyone based off of what they prefer. I love my upgraded Bully II as a travel rig or high performance loaner for my buddies who are interested in the segment, though at the end of the day, I’d still prefer to use one of my XR’s or Dlux super-lite rig for comp duties.

Great to see people coming into the scene. Enjoy the build and share some pics!

https://youtu.be/PXUkpi9UMc0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Davey; 06-29-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:46 AM   #3

Default Re: The perfect Bully V2

Thanks for the reply and crazy detail! I will take all of your suggestions! Including the shocks. Thanks so much 👍 I'll go checkout that YouTube video now.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The shv500v2 is discontinued, and in fact, I think the shv500v3 is now discontinued also.

I like the Holmes shv800 as good as anything, and they were recently in stock, but may have sold out again.

I’m also a fan of the protek 370tbl, so I imagine the 1ktbl will be great as well. But that will require an external bec as it is not direct power.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
A Bully II can be a great rig when set up with the right tuning and components, though for the kind of money you are looking at investing, maybe also consider the Dlux Fab 2.2P kit option with the super lite axles.

It’d be worthwhile to check out Harley’s recent livestream with Nabil where they discuss the comp scene and moa rigs that are available, along with other classes of crawlers.

You’re on the right track with Holmes Puller motors and the BR mini dual, but Puller 400’s instead of 500’s will save you some size and weight and still provide loads of power. It’s personal preference, but I like the 500 for a shafty, and 400’s for MOA.

There’s a good number of quality servos out there. A new offering with some wildly impressive specs would be the ProTek 1K TBL…all the torque someone could ever need and then some, providing you were ok with wiring in a BEC. Pretty decent transit speed as well. If we’re talking ultimate 2.2P builds, that one would definitely be in the running.

If you do opt for the Bully platform, a nice set of knuckle weights such as the Dlux option will help it out quite a bit. Dravtech medium length shocks should be considered as well.

Instead of the Bully tires, go with one of the better options available like the PL Ibex, Ruptures, or Dlux. Crawler Innovations will be your best bet for getting narrow, two stage foams with sizing options for the correct tire height.

Overall you have some nice components picked out and in the end, the perfect build will likely be different for everyone based off of what they prefer. I love my upgraded Bully II as a travel rig or high performance loaner for my buddies who are interested in the segment, though at the end of the day, I’d still prefer to use one of my XR’s or Dlux super-lite rig for comp duties.

Great to see people coming into the scene. Enjoy the build and share some pics!

https://youtu.be/PXUkpi9UMc0

With the Dravtech shocks what would you recommend with the bully V2?

Medium shock options

Spring setup

Ultra soft
Soft
Medium
Hard
X hard

Add 3mm spacer under piston yes/no?

Add 1/4" spacer under the piston (shortens it by 6mm) Yes/No?
Old 06-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
With the Dravtech shocks what would you recommend with the bully V2?

Medium shock options

Spring setup

Ultra soft
Soft
Medium
Hard
X hard

Add 3mm spacer under piston yes/no?

Add 1/4" spacer under the piston (shortens it by 6mm) Yes/No?

It’s really going to come down to personal preference as you test and tune. Having a spring kit on hand to experiment with wouldn’t be a bad idea.

A good starting point might be to go with the soft springs up front and the 3mm spacers under the piston, which just shortens the overall length a bit. For the rears you could try the medium rate springs and no spacer.

As the rig climbs and the weight transfers to the rear, the slightly stiffer springs will add a little more support.

As you put the rig through its paces, you’ll start to determine what driving characteristics you like, what you don’t, and what suspension setup yields the performance you are after.

Definitely recommend watching the Dravtech build video, particularly the section on filling and bleeding them.

Last edited by Davey; 06-29-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah an assortment of different springs is always nice so you can test different combinations.

Dig in an MOA is done by just powering one of the motors via the radio using the mixing feature. As long as you go for a dual ESC setup you dont need a "dig switch" like what RC4WD uses in the RTR, they use a single ESC and a switch to toggle dig. You'll want a radio that has enough Aux channels for your extra motor and servo and one that can do mixing for the dig.

Heres a video I found with a quick search, Spektrum radio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMiCfW7MM8w

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-29-2022 at 11:47 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bully, bully 2, bullyv2, help me!, moa