Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Yota axles and Wraith steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Yota axles and Wraith steering

I picked up a TF2 recently on a trade and I need some help with the steering. It has Wraith c-hubs, knuckles and cvds. Is this something worth figuring out and keeping or should I just get another axle and go back to the original Yota axles?

The whole assembly as it is on the axle.

You can see where the bearing fits into the axle.

CVD pulled out of axle.

There is quite a bit of slop between the axle housing and the c-hub.

Worst case scenario I will keep the CVD setup and make it work with my narrowed SCX axles.

Last edited by struhall; 09-18-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fix img tag for last pic.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Yota axles and Wraith steering

That's interesting, to say the least. Looks like the previous owner also installed link mounts between the axles and leafs as a way to lift the truck, and lower the shock mounting points, which is also, shall we say, interesting. I would think it's probably not worth trying to salvage based on iffy execution (esp given your description of slop between the axle and C's) and the fact that leafs are likely to get in the way of massive steering angle with anything more than small tires anyway. With stock axle housings/knuckles and XVDs, my major limiting factor is the leafs. Even so, I'm very happy with that setup and wouldn't trade it for links and more steering anyway. Good luck and post pix of whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

So after another look, I'm realizing that this setup may provide more clearance between tires and leafs than the stock axles given what looks like a much wider track between hexes. If I'm seeing that correctly, that may cause clearance issues depending on what body you plan to run. Perhaps another reason to ditch it unless you're looking for an adventure.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Yota axles and Wraith steering

It depends on how much slop is in the system and if you think you can fix it. The increased steering and steering durability will be a benefit.

It looks like they did remove a little too much of axle housing material. I kinda messed up and took off 0.00002mm too much on one side when I did mine. My fix was to use E6000 flexible glue and 4 screws around the Chub.

I recently did this mod biting off Troy's thread.
Once was a shelf queen, now a Troyota..

Here's mine. Havent drove it yet. Still building truck.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah, you did do that didn't you Szczerba? I couldn't think of who it was at first...

It seems like a nice idea to get more steering clearance and such, but the extra material removed (mind you, aluminum...) may play a pretty important factor regarding durability in the long run. In my humble opinion nothing beats Yota axles in the looks department (aside from K44's ; ) ) And like Mr. new2rocks said, I wouldn't sacrifice the leaves and whatnot for just a hair more steering...

The xvd's give you a nice realistic amount of steering for some good scale axles as well as a decent price.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
That's interesting, to say the least. Looks like the previous owner also installed link mounts between the axles and leafs as a way to lift the truck, and lower the shock mounting points, which is also, shall we say, interesting. I would think it's probably not worth trying to salvage based on iffy execution (esp given your description of slop between the axle and C's) and the fact that leafs are likely to get in the way of massive steering angle with anything more than small tires anyway. With stock axle housings/knuckles and XVDs, my major limiting factor is the leafs. Even so, I'm very happy with that setup and wouldn't trade it for links and more steering anyway. Good luck and post pix of whatever you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
So after another look, I'm realizing that this setup may provide more clearance between tires and leafs than the stock axles given what looks like a much wider track between hexes. If I'm seeing that correctly, that may cause clearance issues depending on what body you plan to run. Perhaps another reason to ditch it unless you're looking for an adventure.

The shock mounts had to be done this way because the original mounts were removed to fit the new c-hubs. The clearance to the leaves will be fine with anything class 2 sized, I tried them with a Proline Hammers 2.2s and it would just barely hit at full lock where the knuckle starts to hit. I plan to run these on a rig with links up front so I'm not too worried about that part just yet, may change my mind and grab another chassis but that's not in the plans right now.

The front axle is only a small bit wider than the stock rear. I measured them to be about 7-8mm wider than the rear. I just happened to have the rear axle off doing work to sort out the mounts for the chassis I'm using so I snapped a pic with them next to each other. Going under a Mojave body so I will be fine for clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
It depends on how much slop is in the system and if you think you can fix it. The increased steering and steering durability will be a benefit.

It looks like they did remove a little too much of axle housing material. I kinda messed up and took off 0.00002mm too much on one side when I did mine. My fix was to use E6000 flexible glue and 4 screws around the Chub.

I recently did this mod biting off Troy's thread.
Once was a shelf queen, now a Troyota..
I have read that thread already searching for answers. There is a good bit of slop in them the way they're done, I have thought about ways to make them fit tighter but haven't had time to try with my work schedule keeping me out of town. I don't know if I will worry about durability over stock either, I don't seem to break things on my rigs and never had any issues with the setup on my old truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflektr View Post
Yeah, you did do that didn't you Szczerba? I couldn't think of who it was at first...

It seems like a nice idea to get more steering clearance and such, but the extra material removed (mind you, aluminum...) may play a pretty important factor regarding durability in the long run. In my humble opinion nothing beats Yota axles in the looks department (aside from K44's ; ) ) And like Mr. new2rocks said, I wouldn't sacrifice the leaves and whatnot for just a hair more steering...

The xvd's give you a nice realistic amount of steering for some good scale axles as well as a decent price.
I don't think the lack of steering would bother me too much, my last rig (that I traded for this one) was an SCX10 with standard dog bones and normal aluminum knuckles and I did just fine.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflektr View Post

I chose to stick with the 3 link up front and leafed out back. I still may put leafs up front after I run it at Crawlapalooza.

Troy, runs leafs up front and still gets alot of steering.

Also, I must mention the improved caster and 8-degs. See my picture above.

Last edited by Szczerba; 09-18-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My plans are 3 or 4 link up front for sure, just have to decide which way I want to go. I'm not worried about the steering putting tires into my leaves, I tried a tire that was too big for class 2 (4.93ish in) and that size almost cleared at full lock.

What is your setup, it looks great and from what I have seen of your rigs they perform amazing.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

First run on the rocks. The SCX steering setup is just what the TF2 needed! Caster and 8deg kingpin inclination make this thing turn great.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
First run on the rocks. The SCX steering setup is just what the TF2 needed! Caster and 8deg kingpin inclination make this thing turn great.

Very nice work, as always. But a TF2 that steers and can handle rocks better than an SCX-10 - where's the fun in that, lol?