Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Siggy's RC4WD Trail Finder 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Siggy's RC4WD Trail Finder 2

While having coffee and reading the weekend papers, the doorbell suddenly rings. It was the Postman delivering a huge package.

It was sent via USPS Express International, from hundreds of miles away and arriving in just 4 days. Thanks Mike, Tom, John, and all the Cool Folks of Team RC4WD! You guys are the BEST!

Excitement and overjoy quickly filled the air, thinking about what might just be in the huge package. Let's move quickly to the UNBOXING, to be certain!
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Siggy's RC4WD Trail Finder 2

ow, let's see what's inside the box.

Alright!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Box is made out of thick corrugated board. The outer shipping box RC4WD used to protected the Trail Finder 2 box is made out of strong corrugated board, as well. There was ZERO scratches or dents to the Trail Finder 2 Box after travelling hundreds of miles from San Jose California to Singapore. Kudos to a Great job done by the Shipping Department of RC4WD.

The Front Panel has a close to life-size picture of the RC4WD Trail Finder 2 with a beautiful Outdoor background. The RC4WD Logo can be found on the upper left hand corner, and the "Trail Finder 2" badge on the lower right corner. Layout is simple but very striking with a black colored box.

Many will probably ask, "So what's so New about the Trail Finder 2?"
The Rear Panel says, ALL!
  • Custom Designed for True-to-Scale Look
  • Realistic Billet Aluminum Ladder Frame Chassis
  • 2 Speed Remote Selectable Transmission
  • Center Mounted Realistic 4x4 Transfer Case
  • Cast Metal Axles with Locked Differentials
  • True to Scale Leaf Spring Suspensiomn
  • High Detailed Body with Dropped Bed and More
  • 1.55 Stamped Steel Beadlock Wheels with Lug nuts
  • Super Grip High Performance Mud Thrasher Tires
  • Realistic Tube Bumper- Rock Rail and Skid Plates

We can also see some pictures of the 2-speed transmission, transfer case, and Radio box. A brief write-up can also be found at the side flaps of the box.

I found the pictures and printing to be of good quality. And the Layout well-organized. The printed descriptions are well written,. The literature found on the box, clearly describes what can be found inside the box. I was quite impressed by the work done to make the Trail Finder 2 packaging very informative and quite attractive. First Class all the way from the Outside!

I also like the size of the box. I suspect that the box itself can securely protect a completely built Trail Finder 2, for storage. I may just need to take-off the wheels/tires. We surely will find out, later. Next, a look into what is inside the Box.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Now here's what I saw.

The RC4WD Trail Finder 2 User Manual, the all-new 2-speed Tranny and Transfer Case, a pair of the very Popular Scale Yota axles, and a set of 4 nice 1.55 Beadlocks, nicely arranged and well-protected in a foam Tray. Lifting the top Foam Tray, I caught sight of a beautiful black aluminum chassis, unassembled but laid-out in a logical way.

The Mojave Bodyset is inside the sealed white box. Let's open the box later. we got the Tires, bumpers, driveshafts, leaf springs, and shocks in plastic bags. And screws sorted and individually packed.

Next, Let's get-on with the Build!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Just love the new 2-speed tranny. The casing is made out of aluminum and with hardened steel tranny gears. The tranny gears mesh nicely and are well greased. I added just a bit more grease when I check the gears and the tranny worked quietly and runs very smooth.

Shift to low gear or high gear for Best Performance using a standard servo and a 3-channel controller. You will need to set 3rd channel to 2-Position switch and adjust the EPA. The tranny also got a built-in slipper clutch. Adjusting the tension of the spring is reachable/easy and will get the slipper to engage/disengage at variety of torque settings.

The 2-speed tranny mounts get the transmission to mount nice and firm on the chassis with just 4 screws. Adjusting spur/pinion mesh is quite accessible and easy. I am not certain if it is a 32 pitch, but it is very robust and a great choice for the off-road.

The 2-speed tranny clears the steering servo quite nicely, the spur clears the chassis by just a millimeter or two -- everything is well planned and laid-out.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Transfer Case is compact yet solid and nicely scale-down.

Aluminum Casing with Hardened steel gears inside.

The clearance is very nice. The transfer case mount is quite compact and nicely designed, as well.

Transfer Case and mount attaches quite precisely to chassis without a problem.
TIP: When installing the transfer case, be sure that 2 outputs are facing forward, and the transfer case mount screw holes on the right side.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
RCC Addict

One of the Best Features/Milestone of the RC4WD Trail Finder 2 is the Billet Aluminum chassis. Had the chance to build most of the Tamiy 3-speed trucks, and the Trail Finder 2, I believe is certainly the nicest. The chassis mounts all components to perfectly align, each mounting hole located at precise points.

The TF2 kit comes with a complete set of front and rear bumpers, sliders, and body mount.

Both Front and Rear Bumpers are quite adjustable. .

The front bumper has a mount for a scale winch.

Everything fits quite nicely. It took me less than 3 hours to get the kit to a roller. Building the Truck is easy and a lot of fun.

Glad that the TF2 comes with the RC4WD Scale Shocks instead of plastic shocks. These shocks compress quite smoothly.

The rear bumper can be installed in a way that it perfectly hug the rear end of the bed.

Getting a very scale looking overall geometry is easy with the scale shocks having the exact shock lengths for the front and the rear. I like the shock hoops, they look very realistic and are very solid, as well.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

The Scale Yota axles are the perfect choice for the TF2 and Mojave Hardshell. I have the BlackWidow, Blackwell, and K44. It is my first time seeing the Yota axles in person. I must admit that the Scale Yota Axles look and feel Great, as well.

The Ring and Pinion mesh quite smoothly. I also like the steering/drag links. These axles mount under leaf spring quite easy.

The drag link when installed, does not bind on the leaf. BTA configuration for the front axles is also possible if desired.

The new driveshafts feel quite solid and capable.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I decided to start building from half past midnight. I got things to a roller at about 4:30 am.

The Mojave hardshell is a very nicely art piece. I truly love the square lamps and grille, the defined chrome bumpers, side mirrors, lenses, glass, dashboard, and dropped bed. With the wheels and tires installed, the RC4WD TrailFinder 2 with the Mojave body is looking really good.

I really like the Mojave BodySet. True Scale details executed in Top quality ABS and very fine finish. If you like yellow, your all-set without having to paint cab and bed.

I really like how each component fits snugly, to form a unified one. Thanks to RC4WD, this Mojave will look very scale once I get to install all the embellishments -- the glass, dash, steering wheel, door handles, other accessories and accents.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Here are some outdoor pictures.

Some paint just to have some accent.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Here's a short clip I took earlier today.

New RC4WD Trail Finder 2 - YouTube

Thanks for watching.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Looks good! Is it painted yellow with a black hood or did you just paint the hood black? Its hard to tell from the little picture on my small device.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Looks good! Is it painted yellow with a black hood or did you just paint the hood black? Its hard to tell from the little picture on my small device.
The hood and bed liner is painted with KRYLON Camouflage (a Non-Reflective Nature Color) Flat-Black.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

More people need to take as nice pictures as you do. Are you using a DSLR? if so what lens?
joywrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joywrex View Post
More people need to take as nice pictures as you do. Are you using a DSLR? if so what lens?
Thanks for the kind compliment. These were taken with a DSLR-like camera, the NX100.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Here's the version 2 of the short video clip.

The All-New RC4WD Trail Finder 2 - YouTube
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
RCC Addict

TF2 ROLLS-OVER!

Please click the link BELOW to WATCH!

The RC4WD Trail Finder 2 - YouTube

THANKS FOR VIEWING

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
RCC Addict

ROCK&ROLL

Please click on the link below for a short video
THE RC4WD TRAILFINDER 2

THANKS!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Great video Siggy,I like the flares also. Those tree roots are freaky
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
Great video Siggy,I like the flares also. Those tree roots are freaky
Thanks! The flares fit quite nicely, and am planning to bolt them down with 2mm screws. The Banyan is quite freaky exotic, indeed.

Siggy's RC4WD Trail Finder 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD’s new Trail Finder 2 rockslide710 Chit Chat 13 04-25-2012 11:46 AM
Rc4wd Trail Finder CrawlinnAdamsTN Newbie General 3 08-01-2010 06:51 AM
RC4WD Trail Finder?? nitronut 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 07-11-2008 10:24 PM