Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Trail finder from a land of drift cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Trail finder from a land of drift cars

Got a craving for a real crawler after I got my summit 2 weeks ago. Just sold the summit tuesday and this is in my hands as of last night.

Currently has a 4 link rear, bench seat, lights, winch, all that good stuff. Running into a few problems though as i have 0 idea for the most part about this truck.

Do I need to change the rear shocks to a sprung set up with the 4 link? Its currently got the stock ones that come with the leaf springs back there and its really soft and bouncy. Secondly where can I get some sweet bumper/sliders so I dont mess it all up bouncing it off of things?

kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Trail finder from a land of drift cars

Hi mate, you've just bought probably the best bit of RC ever made. The rear shocks stock are just sprung and not damped. So an easy experiment is put some damping oil and see how you like it.

The 4 link set up gives much more articulation. If you opt for leafs again I would get RC4WD's red ones as they are softer than the stock black ones.

The sliders which are missing are available from RC4WD's site now so you can easily add them.

New metal bumpers and sliders are currently being made by third party guys like Matzilla etc, just read this section for the forum and you'll see em.

Just enjoy it mate, they are great.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
Hi mate, you've just bought probably the best bit of RC ever made. The rear shocks stock are just sprung and not damped. So an easy experiment is put some damping oil and see how you like it.

The 4 link set up gives much more articulation. If you opt for leafs again I would get RC4WD's red ones as they are softer than the stock black ones.

The sliders which are missing are available from RC4WD's site now so you can easily add them.

New metal bumpers and sliders are currently being made by third party guys like Matzilla etc, just read this section for the forum and you'll see em.

Just enjoy it mate, they are great.
I have the sliders and stuff in the box, just dont think the plastic will hold up well? Is there a benefit of going to the metal stuff vs plastic?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
WOOPOOW!!

Chris.. That rig looks amazing!! If you would like to put th rear leafs on i have all the parts needed. That was a helluva buy, cant wait to see it in person.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Chris.. That rig looks amazing!! If you would like to put th rear leafs on i have all the parts needed. That was a helluva buy, cant wait to see it in person.
They came in a nice little baggy also. Gotta figure out how to wire this winch up. Do I just connect red to red black to black on the ESC? Can it handle a lipo the winch controller?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

x2 ON THE MATZILLA bumpers http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd...l-bumpers.html can't beat the price. The metal bumpers will hold up longer and not flex when using the winch like a plastic bumper would.

What kind of winch is it? I am running a 800mah 2s lipo on my winch its the one from RC4WD and came with a remote for operating it.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
x2 ON THE MATZILLA bumpers http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd...l-bumpers.html can't beat the price. The metal bumpers will hold up longer and not flex when using the winch like a plastic bumper would.

What kind of winch is it? I am running a 800mah 2s lipo on my winch its the one from RC4WD and came with a remote for operating it.
I think its a 9300xt? Its the little rc4wd one with the remote. Are the buttons that arent he lock/unlock supposed to do anything?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

The two smaller buttons don't do anything.
symplyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

How do I make the steering rod quit hitting the front leaf springs? Also is there some special method to getting this steering servo in? Does it need to be shimmed up? The servo horn keeps catching the top of the axle.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

You can install the center link on the top side of the steering knuckles over the leafs for added clearance. I'm not sure about you servo horn problem. My servo is mounted so the horn faces the front of the truck and I've got more than a 1/4 in of room between the two at full compression. Maybe post up a pic of the problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by symplyrc View Post
You can install the center link on the top side of the steering knuckles over the leafs for added clearance. I'm not sure about you servo horn problem. My servo is mounted so the horn faces the front of the truck and I've got more than a 1/4 in of room between the two at full compression. Maybe post up a pic of the problem.
I have my servo mounted so the horns towards the back. Thats the problem. I wasnt comfortable with the position of the wires in relation to the spur gear's location to them. I guess Ill have to zip tie the servo harness down. Do I need a ton of torque also to turn these tires or will 160 be enough?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

160 should be ok, but more is always better.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have the 4 link rear and had the stock dampers but upgraded to the dual coil over shocks. I put 30 weight oil in the stock dampers and saw a little better action from them but they leaked. I also ordered the option heavy weight springs for the stock dampers but with the weight of the battery and accessories the rear was slammed and I didn't like it.
BKcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

What is the upgraded drive shaft I can run in this so I dont have them pop off anymore?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i''m using junfac driveshafts 95-130mm. you can get a set of 2 for under $40.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

will these work? $10 off! Junfac Hardened Carbon Steel Universal Shafts (2 each) for Tamiya F-350 High-Lift & Hilux #J90023*-*Miscellaneous*-*-Geartrain - Axles - Driveline*-*The Crawlers Store LLC
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

those might be short. I have the 95-130mm ones and they fit fine. I was sent the wrong ones at first(107-142mm) and those don't fit. The ones you linked look too short.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Awesome rig! This is one of the best tf2s that I've seen. I know it's simple, but I really like it.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 View Post
Awesome rig! This is one of the best tf2s that I've seen. I know it's simple, but I really like it.
Thank you!

Im about to order some stuff from TCS for it.

Trail finder from a land of drift cars - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/16 drift cars? jp0160 Non Crawler RC's 2 07-17-2012 08:39 PM
On a Sunday trail with Trail Finder.. FinCrawler Scale Videos! 3 08-14-2010 10:56 PM
my drift cars 3speed Non Crawler RC's 13 01-18-2009 01:27 AM