Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 single speed Pardonmyn00b OG 4runner upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default TF2 single speed Pardonmyn00b OG 4runner upgrade

So I really wanted another tf2 but I just couldn't afford the price of a complete kit. I have had an idea for an existing build to convert it over to a tf2 so I hit eBay and found the parts I needed to get it up and running for roughly half the cost of a new kit. I started with a complete chassis, ultimate yota axles with steering and the rest I borrowed from the scx10. I drilled the tf2 cross member for the axial Trans and used some fasteddy spacers. In order to make the electronics tray work I had to move it backwards, re-drill the mounting holes, space it slightly and give it a tweak to clear the drive shaft. I also mounted the steering to the drivers side so the linkage is set up correctly. My only complaint with the tf2 is the rear shackle set up. If you want to run a soft suspension the shackles have to much angle and will collapse. I fixed this on my clone style tf2 by adding rear bruiser suspension. My last truck has had good results so this one saw the the same mod in the rear.

The wheels and tires are from SDI, they are a non bead lock plastic wheels with the best off set I have ever seen for keeping the track width nice and narrow. However, this was an issue with the steering. My solution was to kick it old school and I narrowed the back side of the rims which pulled the tires in nicely and allowed for the clearance needed for the steering. Being short on cash I couldn't afford the nice RC4WD shocks so for now it has some home front shocks from recycled TLT parts and some turned down TLT shocks in the back.

You guys know the body, it's none other then the OG 4Runner built by Rich AKA Pardonmyn00b. The body fits the TF2 perfectly and the truck looks so much more realistic with the yota axles under it and the leaf spring suspension. The bumpers and sliders that come on the tf2 were similar to the ones that Rich originally built. I trimmed the ends of the front bumper slightly, added a Juggsterr winch and control box with power wires, and trimmed the sliders to match up with the body

This body was no shelf queen so it has it's fair share of battle marks, I went through and added some rust where the trucks are known to rot...owning a 1:1 sas 86 runner myself I know of this all to well...

The fresh leafs still need a chino tapper added and some 12 gauge wire insulation to get rid of the shoulder bolts but it's already tucking the rear tires pretty good. When money permits, I'll pick up the correct shocks, 2 speed, and tcase as I already miss the gear shifting factor when compared to driving my other tf2.

I got a couple more pics coming, stay tuned.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 10-15-2012 at 07:53 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

Default Re: TF2 single speed Pardonmyn00b OG 4runner upgrade

Now that's a scaler, you could show 95% of the world those pics and they wouldn't know it was an RC.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Sinking with the ship

Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Now that's a scaler, you could show 95% of the world those pics and they wouldn't know it was an RC.
Thanks Jason, Rich did an amazing job on this body. It was worthy of a scaler platform. Don't get me wrong, it looked good on the scx10 but the axial axles gave it away. I feel that if I spent some time weathering the frame and with the right camera work it would be really hard to tell.

Forgot to mention I also installed some of Rich's inner fender wells and radiator support kit
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

What are you using for gearing with that axial trans, and how would compare it to the stock TF2 gearing.
Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It's alive!! Nice rebuild, Mike. It looks much better on leaf springs and yota axles. All these 4Runners and pickups of mine resurfacing makes me want to come out of retirement build one more for myself. I don't have any and some people have more than one. Just not fair if you ask me. Nice scale photography as usual.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post
What are you using for gearing with that axial trans, and how would compare it to the stock TF2 gearing.
Stock axial gearing, not sure off the top of my head what that is to be honest with you. I would say its in between the 1st and 2nd gear of the TF2 2 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
It's alive!! Nice rebuild, Mike. It looks much better on leaf springs and yota axles. All these 4Runners and pickups of mine resurfacing makes me want to come out of retirement build one more for myself. I don't have any and some people have more than one. Just not fair if you ask me. Nice scale photography as usual.
Thanks Rich . The 1st set of pics were all taken with my new iPhone 5 takes damn good pictures if you ask me! I do think you should build another runner, the more the merrier! If you do, I'll take another parking light lense because I lost my drivers sides one
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Absolutely love it Mike!

I have a SCX10 sitting around without axles that I want to mount a set of TF2 axles to. Their width is so much more conducive to building scalers.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It looks perfect Mike!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Mike...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

wow! i have no words, that is INCREDIBLE. SO scale!
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Absolutely love it Mike!

I have a SCX10 sitting around without axles that I want to mount a set of TF2 axles to. Their width is so much more conducive to building scalers.
Dez, I originally thought about doing that but I really wanted to easily adapt the leaves and I would really eventually like the 2 speed too. Plus, with my limited time that I have lately, I was able to reuse all the stock bumpers and sliders going with the tf2 chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It looks perfect Mike!
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Looks great Mike...
Thanks boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
wow! i have no words, that is INCREDIBLE. SO scale!
Building them as realistic as possible is whats all about for me
Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

That is the definition of scale right there Mike, nice work as usual.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Oppan Gangnam Style

Mike, that 4runner is spot on, geat job in keeping it scale. Definately refreshing to see compared to the out of proportion wide axled, huge tired monster trucks being built these days.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Absolutely love it Mike!

I'm in the middle of doing exactly what you describe, and I can tell you first hand that the SCX-10 chassis isn't the ideal chassis to set up for leaf springs and cast 'Yota axles, it's been a huge PImyA and now that it's a roller, I'm not happy w/ the results at all. I'm at the point of deciding if I continue and make a 'so-so' scaler out of it or if I should just scrap the whole project and just use a TFII kit.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
That is the definition of scale right there Mike, nice work as usual.
Thanks Chris, I really do feel that this truck is an icon for what a scaler should look like. When you think about it, it's a fairly simple build, aside from the body work. This is one of those builds where less is more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Mike, that 4runner is spot on, geat job in keeping it scale. Definately refreshing to see compared to the out of proportion wide axled, huge tired monster trucks being built these days.
Thanks Dean! With the SDI wheels you maintain a super narrow track width. The suspension is still settling and needs some of your spring mods but when you force the suspension into place it's tucks the rear tire like a champ I am hoping once the springs settle and are modded that it will tuck them fully with ease. The front I may build shock hoops for and run a slightly longer shock to get a tiny bit more up travel. It's not far off from how the front suspension reacts on the 1:1 but it could have a tiny bit more up travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'm in the middle of doing exactly what you describe, and I can tell you first hand that the SCX-10 chassis isn't the ideal chassis to set up for leaf springs and cast 'Yota axles, it's been a huge PImyA and now that it's a roller, I'm not happy w/ the results at all. I'm at the point of deciding if I continue and make a 'so-so' scaler out of it or if I should just scrap the whole project and just use a TFII kit.
I gotta say, when building toyotas I will only be using this chassis for now on. It's not even worth the high prices people are trying to get for the new bruiser frames. Plus the equal length chassis flexes the suspension better then the unequal width bruiser frame. I do have a bruiser frame I modded like how dean did on his real scale crawler, with a nice custom yota body, but that project isn't anywhere near the point of starting a thread.

I got your pm, I'll snap a pic for you
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
Sinking with the ship

Couple quick pics from a snow shake down run

Haven't done much since the rebuild, I did add some toyota hubs, metal rc4wd rear bumper and u bolt kit

Enjoy
Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 12-31-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to bring up an old build. This thing is awesome in appearance! Can you take a picture of the underside chassis? I'm interested in pulling my 2 speed out and using an Axial trans.
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote

TF2 single speed Pardonmyn00b OG 4runner upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4runner body on a tf2?? ROLANDROCKSHOP RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 10-12-2012 03:12 AM
F350 3 speed to single speed conversion, tips/ideas needed please neo 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 02-11-2010 02:49 PM
3-speed - single channel clubconcepts 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 11-10-2009 08:05 AM
single speed setup vs. speed control traxxas junky Electronics 18 08-28-2007 11:28 PM