RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   Just Joined The TF2 Club (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/419424-just-joined-tf2-club.html)

hibbs 12-26-2012 10:34 AM

Just Joined The TF2 Club

Hello All,

Thanks to Christmas and my wife, I now have a new TF2. I just put it together last night. The problem I am having is... how am I going to drive this truck? I mean the trans, transfer case and those axles, whew... How can you go out and beat all those beautiful artwork quality parts up?

Rook82 12-26-2012 02:46 PM

Re: Just Joined The TF2 Club

Good points. But the rig is very well built and engineered. The trans and transfer case are bullet proof. Huge hardened gears. Just make sure you check them for adequate grease before running them. Some people have had them with very little grease from the factory. That and add threadlock everywhere.

The axles do get the paint scrubbed off. But that is to be expected. It is a good powdercoating they use, but it will scrape off on rocks. But they hold up very well. Some people have had issues for some reason. but myself and the guys I run with that have them have had complete luck with the drivetrain. None of have run the stock driveshafts at least the plastic parts as they are a known weak link. I use Traxxas shafts on Axial yokes, though the stock yokes are fine. It is the stock plastic drive shafts that break easily.

They look even better with some character added with scrapes and bruises. Some people like to make them look beat before they even hit the dirt! "thumbsup" Drive it like you stole it and enjoy it!

Jeepfixer1 12-26-2012 07:41 PM

That's a good wife, you have trained her well :lmao: . We all know that's how it works ... Right? Anyways, congrats and welcome to the TF2 club! Everyone one has a different take on the Trailfinder. Myself I have a Wraith and a SCX that get the most beating. I am a lot more reserved when I drive my little Tuffy. I am not finished with my hardbody yet but I plan on running it when I video and running my lexan blazer body when I'm just messin around. Chances are you will baby it a while and like most people, after the first few tumbles it will start living a harder life! That's ok they take on a whole new patina with some scratches! Either way just have a great time with it. Thats what it's all about "thumbsup"

dittohead 12-26-2012 07:49 PM

I would pull the diffs apart and make sure the ring+pinion mesh is correct and with no play. I got my tf2 used and came to me with a stripped front R+P and when i installed the new parts the the gear mesh was terrible and it would strip again. I shimmed the ring gear towards the pinion and added a shim under the inside pinion bearing to push the pinion into the ring gear. I have no slop now and it spins nicely. 8)

hibbs 12-27-2012 11:44 AM

Glad to hear it's a tough truck. I'll definitely have to check out the grease and the mesh in the various parts, I appreciate the heads up. I didn't think it was a weak rig, just that it's much easier to rock rash up a $12 plastic set of SCX axles than those purdy cast ones. I can def see babying it too. I think I'll try to set it up as a class 1 with little clearance and twist. I already have 2- 1.9s and a 2.2 so no need for another big truck.

Thanks guys.

Rook82 12-27-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibbs (Post 4093672)
Glad to hear it's a tough truck. I'll definitely have to check out the grease and the mesh in the various parts, I appreciate the heads up. I didn't think it was a weak rig, just that it's much easier to rock rash up a $12 plastic set of SCX axles than those purdy cast ones. I can def see babying it too. I think I'll try to set it up as a class 1 with little clearance and twist. I already have 2- 1.9s and a 2.2 so no need for another big truck.

Thanks guys.

That's the same situation I am in. I have run it very, very hard at times. But usually like to use it as a really scale wheeler. I enjoy it more when trying to drive it like a full size and not tip, etc. Some days you just want to get your throttle on. But I prefer one of my Scx's or Wroncho for that. I got mine during the summer. So after 1/2 year of running, the only thing is missing paint 8) . I recently pulled everything apart and the drivetrain internals and all axle shafts, etc look brand new. I did make sure to tear things down before running it and greased and loc tited everything. I am sure it helped.

TheManCave 12-27-2012 08:49 PM

First, welcome to the TF2 club. I just bought my second one yesterday and its by far one of the funnest trucks I have to drive. I have to agree fully with the others about babying it versus my wraiths, scx's and southern buggies. I find it more challenging to drive like a 1:1 and with my first TF I strayed too far off the scale path. By the time it was gone I had 4 linked the rear, 3 linked the front, and beat the body to hell and back. This time around its going to be a granny grocery getter that happens to have to drive through the woods and rivers to get to said grocery store lol. Loc Tite is your best friend on this truck along with monthly maintenance. Like hibbs said, its a lot cheaper and fun to beat a $12 set of sccx axles than these beauties. A good set of JunFac shafts add the last bit of strength to an already bulletproof rig.