Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Want to buy Trail Finder 2- Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #1

Default Want to buy Trail Finder 2- Need help

Hey guys I'm looking to buy the Trailfinder 2 and I need some advice. I really like the TF2 and prefer it over SCX10 because there are more metal parts and it looks better than the SCX10. First off, I have Traxxas 2075 servos and I'd like to know if this will work or not for shifting? I also have a FlySky FS-GT3B 3 channel radio and receiver and wondering if it will work? The radio does have a switch for the 3rd channel and maybe I can use that to shift gears. But I'm guessing that I can only use the first and second gear, right? I'm not really sure. Need help with that. I don't want to go out and buy a 4 channel radio as my budget is limited. I'd also like to know your opinions about the TF2. Thanks guys.
Mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Want to buy Trail Finder 2- Need help

I used micro servo for shifting, you don't need alot of power, the trans only has 2 speeds, and you should search for the fly sky hack from losikid it really opens that radio up.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yes all that hardware will work just fine. like boosted4lyf said, 2 speed trans so no need for a different radio. for the record, a 4ch radio isn't required for a 3 speed trans, just a 3 position switch. If you wanted to run a winch, you would need a 4ch radio.
JJBTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #4

Ok thanks for the two of you who replied. I do have another question. I have a Traxxas XL-5 ESC and a 12t Titan motor. Will this setup work for the Trail Finder 2?
Mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

It will work ok but it would be really fast when set to high speed. The XL-5 would work but it doesn't have a drag break
JJBTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I have used both a XL-5 and a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL in my TF2. I honestly like using the XL-5 in it. But one thing for sure is you need an external BEC if using the XL-5. The XL-5 has a very weak internal bec. With the two servos in the TF2, mine would only turn the wheels when moving with no resistance. Try and turn without the rig moving and basically no go if there is any traction. just plan to add a CC BEC and you will be good to go. That is what I did and it made a world off a difference.

The 12T Titan would be a bit much for motor imho. I run 2s with 35 turn HH expert motor most of the time with occasional 3s. I think the 2s with a 35t motor is my favorite combo for the rig. Anything faster is just going to eat up parts as you will crash more (doing high speed runs), etc. I know you can say well just don't gun it all the way. But if you have the power, you will use it. It is a unavoidable temptation. I think 2s batteries and a 35T motor or maybe a 27 for speed freaks is most you will need with the 2 speed TF2 (though that is highly subjective to individual tastes). I am just basing on the runs I do and comparisons to rigs/people that I run with.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I second what rook said, except if your gonna play in da rocks or hills you would love a drag brake! That and for a steering servo I would suggest at least 250 oz in. Minimum. 3-350 oz is better. If you don't have a off road rig now and want to play hard and go everywhere I think the scx is probably a better choice but if realism and scale driving is what your after then it's the tf2 hands down!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Scx10 for simplicity tf2 for complications upon more complications
gears and grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #9

I have had several axial scx10s and real nice rigs with the right setup they can do about anything you throw at it. But after viewing all the nice scale things you can do to a tf2 I can't wait to buy me one!!!
ricardof78557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I like my TF-2 now that I've learned it's limitations. I used to try and make it do things it wasn't designed to do. It is a fun rig and a very capable trail rig.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
I like my TF-2 now that I've learned it's limitations. I used to try and make it do things it wasn't designed to do. It is a fun rig and a very capable trail rig.
+1
I think thats why i like my TF2 so much , i,ve got a little spot in my backyard were i can happily muck around in with the TF2 , were as with the SCX10 its as boring as batshit
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

The tf2 is a very heavy rig my 27t with the pinion from the kit becomes very hot. I wouldn't run a 12t it will probably smoke in no time. I am using a full size servo to shift works perfect.
turboed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I love my tf2 I tryed to sell trade few times and I always end up keeping it ya its super scale but its decently tuff I use my tf2 just as much as some dudes use a scx same style driving and all I wouldn't say I'm hard on it but I don't baby it and all

Last edited by jdmguy760; 07-07-2014 at 11:23 PM.
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I keep mine pretty basic except for the drive train. I use this to trail with and don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I'll use the SCX10's for crawlin' and fooling around. ;)
Attached Images

tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 AM   #15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mArtAVXoQ5A#t=571

A Buddy of mine has posted this video about the hacked Fly Sky radios, helped me loads, please check it out and give it a like.
woody.01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I think everybody has about answered your questions.

I'm on my 4th TF2 now (people keep buying them) and love them to pieces, totally different to an SCX10 and easily as capable. I comp with mine and it doesn't get easily Beaten by anything.

Buy it you will love it!
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
I keep mine pretty basic except for the drive train. I use this to trail with and don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I'll use the SCX10's for crawlin' and fooling around. ;)
sorry to hi jack but tokdl those mud flaps are awesome!
Drclarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drclarkin View Post
sorry to hi jack but tokdl those mud flaps are awesome!
Thanks very much!
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 AM   #19

I know its an old thread, but i thought id add some info on the Flysky GT3B as well regarding using it for shifting the gear.

You dont need any haxing to setup that transmitter for gear shifting, because you can configure a limit on how much it'll make the servo turn upon pressing the button and it'll stay there until you press the button again where it's gonna move back to its default position.

I used it on my Tamiya Hummer when I modded it with selectable 4WD/2WD setup, where I added in another servo for the purpose which would simply push a gear back and forth over an axle, causing the gear to connect/disconnect two axels and hence connect or disconnect the front end gearbox.

So as long as u need only two positions on the servo to shift between, you can use the FS3GTB as it is.

Cheers :-)
SizZLeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, servo, trail finder

Want to buy Trail Finder 2- Need help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Trucks Mud SPA! 11 Trucks mudding at Butterfly Trail - Axial SCX10 Trail Finder 2 boolean21 Scale Videos! 2 12-12-2012 04:59 PM
RC Trucks Mud SPA! 11 Trucks mudding at Butterfly Trail - Axial SCX10 Trail Finder 2 boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 12-12-2012 04:22 AM
13 Trucks mudding at Wallace Trail - Trail finder 2 tundra honcho dingo hummer Unimog boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-17-2012 05:11 PM
13 Trucks mudding at Wallace Trail - Trail finder 2 tundra honcho dingo hummer Unimog boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-17-2012 05:09 PM
25 Trucks beach Trail: 15 Land Rover Defender scx10 Trail Finder 2 Wraith hilux Tundr boolean21 Scale Videos! 6 08-22-2012 04:07 PM