Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2/Axial Trail truck?? Which to buy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TF2/Axial Trail truck?? Which to buy??

I have the TF2 bug bad! I've owned several Axial products so I know they are good products, but I would like to try another build..something different.

Looking for some input from someone that has both the TF2 and any model Axial trail truck.

How capable is the TF2 compared to the Axial trail rigs? I'd like to avoid any buyers remorse! Thanks for any input you can offer.

Jim

Last edited by jim_w; 02-16-2013 at 11:08 PM.
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #2

Default Re: TF2/Axial Trail truck?? Which to buy??

Hey Jim,
I am by no means an expert but I do own a Axial Dingo. That being said, I also have a TF2 on the way. I actually cant wait to get started on it.
The dingo is my first crawler and being more into scale, its pretty sweet. I've been doing a lot of reading on the TF2 and its capabilities. My uncle owns an 83 Toyota and my plans are to make mine look identical or as close to it as possible. The way the TF2 looks is simply amazing. Leaf springs, yota axles, wheels, body, etc.....
I tend to crawl in my back yard mostly since I have rocks, hills, and logs to roll around on and the Dingo does extremely well. I would suggest watching as many youtube vids on the TF2 that you can. Most vids show how well the TF2 can crawl. Once mine is done, I dont expect to be able to climb like a MOA or something like that so I know what to expect.
As a noob, I dont know all the technical info but when I decided to get the TF2, I had no remorse what so ever.
Hope that helps a little.
David
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I,ve got both
And both are brilliant , but it really depends on what your expectations are
I got my TF2 because i had a couple of Axial trucks but wanted something a bit more scale , plus i,d never messed with a leaf sprung rc before.
I find myself using the TF2 more than the Axials these days coz i find it much more challenging to drive . I,ve had a few things let go on mine but in its defence it gets driven pretty hard .
Am i glad i bought it , Absolutely
out of the box there definately not as capable or in my opinion as strong as a SCX 10
Name:  109_0923.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  109_0948.JPG
Views: 1953
Size:  165.5 KB
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

In my opinion both rigs are very capable rigs and both require different driving styles, I have both and to be honest I think my tf2 out performs either one of my scx10's in the tight stuff , while my scx's out perform it other areas such as larger rock areas and so on ..I had to replace the drive shafts on my tf2 which is a giving considering the stock plastic is really cheap , but oither than that have had no issues with it ..and same goes with my scx's and they got driven harder ..
Trailfinder 2

scx10
RcKirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I own a TF2 and have driven my Brother's Axial stuff. With the TF2 you have to be sure about your line. You can't just bash it around or bash up rocks or hills and expect a good outcome. I think the tf2 is a more technical truck to drive. part of that is the transmission which gives you 2 speeds to choose from and another part are the stock leafs. I think the tf2 might weigh a little more than an SCX10 and balance is different.

A leafed tf2 is a very predictable ride. The leafs are somewhat stiff and articulation is limited. you're gonna be able to climb but it'll be a challenge when the rocks get bigger. I linked my tf2 from the start and that's a whole different animal because you will spend a lot of time looking for shocks strong enough to withstand the weight and the body sway.

When I drove an SCX10 it felt like a billy goat... just ate up the rocks and seemed to be very nimble and light. It was ok. For me, i enjoy the challenge of a tf2. i actually have to think about how I drive it up the rocks. It also looks better to me. i like the stance out of the box. You get a yota hardbody and that beats any of the scx10 bodies.
BKcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Tf2 in my opinion more scale than axial rigs, and if you buy an axial in kit form, you have alot of upgrades to buy, to make it as scale as the tf2 !
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have both and i have to say i love my TF2, its not as capable but it drives realistically
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like everyone has a similar opinion regarding the TF2. Not quite as capable, but makes up for it in other aspects. Sounds like my old CC01 Tamiya kit, it always makes me grin when I run it! I have a brand new (hasn't even had a battery put in it yet) '12 Axial Rubicon RTR that I received last week, and I was out in my backyard this morn running the CC01...lol. In fact, I ordered a GRU for it from RC4WD last week. There's just something appealing about its looks rolling across the yard

Thanks for all the input!

Jim

Last edited by jim_w; 02-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Good grief! Out of stock
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Truck Kit w/Mojave Body Set

RPP has them and is offering free shipping
cencal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #12

and a $20.00 discount if you buy it online use the fe20 code
a rogue phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

take that $20 discount and use it to buy a screw kit from somewhere other than rc4wd would be my advice.
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #14

I have both, dingo and TF2.
Its about technical stuff when playing with TF2.
Lets me think harder to maximizing the leaf spring.
I still guessing what can I do more for being capable as 4 link suspension.
And surprisingly, stock tf2 with chino mod can go mudding with dingo, and that's what my friends see and said also.
Made it more scale for body painting and interior are the hardest part.
My LHS asking price $150 for painting, a taft choice. Selfqueen or trail runner? I choose trail runner and paint it my self. That's a real hobby, keeping me busy
calstho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cencal View Post
RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Truck Kit w/Mojave Body Set

RPP has them and is offering free shipping
Thanks! Ordered!!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by a rogue phoenix View Post
and a $20.00 discount if you buy it online use the fe20 code
Thanks!! Ordered and used the discount code!!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon View Post
take that $20 discount and use it to buy a screw kit from somewhere other than rc4wd would be my advice.
Tell me more about this "screw kit"....??

Are the screws in the kit substandard?

Jim
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_w View Post
Tell me more about this "screw kit"....??

Are the screws in the kit substandard?

Jim
There not Brilliant but they work
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Here's my take on the TF2...I'm on my third one. I've had a zillion SCX10's. Just always keep in mind that it isn't an SCX10.

Here's my ethos

Quote:
Coming from a few Gelandes and many scx10's I think about the capabilities of this truck quite often. How it stacks up on a few different levels, the overall pleasure level and the frustrations.

To hit on the key thing firstly, the frustrations. Very few considering my past lives with a Gelande...the Gelandes gave a near balance of pleasure /frustration. The tf2 has a very low frustration score from me. I approached the first runs with kid gloves, not wanting to lunch gears or snap things. Driveshafts aside, this truck handles abuse that approaches, but doesn't quite reach, the level if the venerable scx10.

The truck drives and wheels well...very well for a leaf sprung rig. I feel a lot like I did when I build my first 1:1 '99 XJ. At each small step in mods, the capabilities of the rig jumped a bit. It keeps on this way but as an owner of a 1:1 xj or this TF2, I needed to weigh the consequences of each step as it is really easy to lose sight of what made a rig fun in the first place. I could easily fab up, or buy a 3 or 4 link kit and experience a huge leap in capability on this little rig. I don't want that just yet. I'm savoring the amazing scale capabilities AND limitations right now and really grooving on this trip from bone stock to adventure rig, to rock hound (should that be where the journey takes me). I'm having a ball fabricating parts and showing them off to you guys because you guys groove on it too...that's part of this rig.
I have a TF2 sitting here (a friends) that has a full link conversion. It seems like it has all the benefits of a Gelande, with none of the reliability issues. It's as capable as any SCX10 I've run, but I imagine the durability axle-wise is less than an SCX10.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
Here's my take on the TF2...I'm on my third one. I've had a zillion SCX10's. Just always keep in mind that it isn't an SCX10.

Here's my ethos

I have a TF2 sitting here (a friends) that has a full link conversion. It seems like it has all the benefits of a Gelande, with none of the reliability issues. It's as capable as any SCX10 I've run, but I imagine the durability axle-wise is less than an SCX10.
Interesting analogy. My favorite part being:

"I'm savoring the amazing scale capabilities AND limitations right now and really grooving on this trip from bone stock to adventure rig, to rock hound (should that be where the journey takes me)."

I'm recently retired from 35 plus yrs of service with the phone company. Since Dec 2012, I've bought 3 ATV's. One for me, and the other two for family members or to take a friend or 2 riding.

During our last ride, I kept noticing excellent places along the way that seemed surreal for R/C trailing and/or crawling. My goal is to have a few rigs (10th scale for ease of transport) to carry along to do just that. I think the TF2 will fit the bill. Combine 2 interests so to speak!

Last edited by jim_w; 02-18-2013 at 08:18 AM.

TF2/Axial Trail truck?? Which to buy?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I buy an Interior & Seat? For tf2 milestone RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 01-31-2013 10:22 AM