Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Scored a tf2 on trade!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scored a tf2 on trade!

Well, I acquired a certain Rc vehicle that i then traded for this tf2. Let say first that I am impressed with this rigs capabilities. I'm an scx10 owner also and I love the way both the tf2 and scx10s handle in completely different manors, but this has surpassed my expectations.

Bit of a background: friend purchased brand new and assembled the kit with my help, 4 lipos later the front diff jumps, we have to re-space the pinion depth to keep it from climbing the ring. (Anybody else have this problem??) anyways fixed that and temporarily repaired broken spring and then sat on my shelf in my basement for months.

Fast forward to now and we decide to make a deal and trade. I then put my personal touches on it that is a "beater yota" look but also, something I would see here on the road in my home state lol. And I don't know why but 9 out of 10 rigs I see on here with the primed/painted separate fenders is on the right side?! I think that's funny, must be more common on that side? Lol

Anyways, I had some tsl's on axial beads, stock dingo cvds(stock rc4wds suck!) and made a removable drop in bed cover with a rack and spare with a tow chain. Here's some pics!
Attached Images

Kykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scored a tf2 on trade!

harder for a driver to judge clearance so its the most likely candidate to be scrubbed off on a tree.

Nice lookin truck
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks like a sweet score. What are your plans for it? Also would you mind sharing how you made the bed cover?
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe$ View Post
Looks like a sweet score. What are your plans for it? Also would you mind sharing how you made the bed cover?
Thanks! I thought so, lets just say I had 225 in the other Rc I traded! ;)

I have some simple plans for it right now, money and time is scarce right now so for the mean time it's staying as you see it for now. I will add some new leaf springs and maybe some 5mm blue monkey lift blocks.

As for the be cover, it was a 2.00 kitchen drawer "organizer" tray at Walmart, made by mainstays I think. I trimmed it down to be flush with the bed rails and cover the rail on the back of the cab. I only had to shorten the tray about 1/2 inch to fit length wise. Then trimmed everything else up, sanded the little feet off the bottom of the tray and then speckle painted it for a bed liner texture and then hit it with some gloss black.... Taadaa, instant bedcover AND it's removable to access the bed any time.

It took about 45 minutes from conception to completion! I'm satisfied with the outcome.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I like it.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe$ View Post
I like it.
Thanks joe!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I do have a question though, my buddy put the t-boxes on the front leafs and it wants to axle wrap badly, it twists the springs and turns the pinion angle down and I don't like that. Any suggestions to help alleviate this problem? Minus links, this truck is staying leaf'd, It is limited but I like the scale realism it provides. Anyways, thoughts? Suggestions? Lets hear em!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've seen someone selling an anti wrap link kit. It might have been blue monkey. If I find it Ill let you know or if you find it let me know I'm look for one to I'm not having that problem but I plan on using the tbox mod too.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I was right I just found them.

Antiwrap Bar for TF2, Blue Monkey RC
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

That's a great idea for the bed cover. How do you like it compared to your scx10?
lilpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpanther View Post
That's a great idea for the bed cover. How do you like it compared to your scx10?
Thank ya! And I like both rigs for different reason... I look at it like this:

My hardcore c-10 is my "old farm truck that never dies." Two pumps on the gas pedal and it fires up kinda thing. Where as the trailfinder is more of a work truck with kinda the same personality, only this one is "driven on the street" lol

All jokes aside.... Scx10 can not be beat for best bang for your buck, I wouldn't have personally purchased a tf2 for retail or really near what it's worth, but since I come out ok on this deal its not bad because I still have money in my pocket. And it's an alternative to the scx10.

It's kinda like comparing a 79' Cadillac to a 2013 Mercedes... Sure they're both comfy luxury type cars but wayyyyy different ya know?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kykrawler View Post
Thank ya! And I like both rigs for different reason... I look at it like this:

My hardcore c-10 is my "old farm truck that never dies." Two pumps on the gas pedal and it fires up kinda thing. Where as the trailfinder is more of a work truck with kinda the same personality, only this one is "driven on the street" lol

All jokes aside.... Scx10 can not be beat for best bang for your buck, I wouldn't have personally purchased a tf2 for retail or really near what it's worth, but since I come out ok on this deal its not bad because I still have money in my pocket. And it's an alternative to the scx10.

It's kinda like comparing a 79' Cadillac to a 2013 Mercedes... Sure they're both comfy luxury type cars but wayyyyy different ya know?
That's a good way of explaining the differences.

I had thought about getting one of these but I don't think I'm though into scalers to worry about having the hard body.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

If you like the body but want more of a performance than scale, you can pick up a hard body kit from rc4wd brand new or used on eBay and fit it to an scx10? I've seen it done many times and it looks good. Best of both worlds really. Low cost of scx10 kit + hardbody = less than a tf2 kit!

Lol ill admit I'm not even a diehard Toyota fan, and there are a lot of them out there already, but I still think its cool as hell! lol
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
If you like the body but want more of a performance than scale, you can pick up a hard body kit from rc4wd brand new or used on eBay and fit it to an scx10? I've seen it done many times and it looks good. Best of both worlds really. Low cost of scx10 kit + hardbody = less than a tf2 kit!

Lol ill admit I'm not even a diehard Toyota fan, and there are a lot of them out there already, but I still think its cool as hell! lol
The body seems nice, but I'm easy please so I would be fine with a lexan body.

I agree that's its cool as hell. Now if someone would make a nice 4runner body for cheap.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I'm the same way, I can't justify the price for a hardbody body alone. Just like the tf2 itself, it's pricy. I'm satisfied with my lexan bodies also. I have a jeep and my c-10 and they're both just fine for my likings.

I've seen some styrene custom hardbody 4 runners but they're one off. Rc4wd had a pathfinder or a 4 runner lexan body a while back, can't remember right now lol.

I'm daydreaming here at work to figure out that anti-wrap bar from blue monkey works. I'm thinking I can make my own link kit. I just want to make sure I'm imagining the finished install looks ok and performs. The website says they don't ahinder articulation at all.... Anybody out there with personal experience on these anti-wrap bars?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm the same way, I can't justify the price for a hardbody body alone. Just like the tf2 itself, it's pricy. I'm satisfied with my lexan bodies also. I have a jeep and my c-10 and they're both just fine for my likings.

I've seen some styrene custom hardbody 4 runners but they're one off. Rc4wd had a pathfinder or a 4 runner lexan body a while back, can't remember right now lol.

I'm daydreaming here at work to figure out that anti-wrap bar from blue monkey works. I'm thinking I can make my own link kit. I just want to make sure I'm imagining the finished install looks ok and performs. The website says they don't ahinder articulation at all.... Anybody out there with personal experience on these anti-wrap bars?
It was a Pathfinder body that they had.

I think I get how the anti-wrap bar works. It runs from the chassis to the top of the axle to stop it from twisting, Kind of like a torque arm on some of the modern cars. You could probably make something similar out of a turnbuckle and rod ends.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Anti wrap bars are real easy to make yourself
I made some for the rear of my TF2 and it has saved me a fortune in new leafs
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatick View Post
Anti wrap bars are real easy to make yourself
I made some for the rear of my TF2 and it has saved me a fortune in new leafs
Could you possibly post a pic of your set up kind sir? Lol be much appreciated!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #19

good job!
spider5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Update: I figured out a fairly simple anti wrap Bar and it cost me nothing! ;) I used a servo mount block, some 8/32 all thread and an extra link end from my axial kits. I mounted the lower fixed point on the left leaf mount, took a coat hanger piece and shaped the initial shape and length for the all thread. Copied the coat hanger to all thread and tweaked it here and there.

Took a couple of Trial and error runs with the new bar, I'm surprised that it helps this much!

I removed the link and slipped a small red rubber hose over the all thread and put the link back on, BAM!! And it doesn't affect articulation at all.

Here's some pics:
Attached Images