Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: "Jack on the Rocks": lifted F350 crewcab build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default "Jack on the Rocks": lifted F350 crewcab build

...Okay more like "jack in the mud" but that doesn't sound very appealing Anyway...I'd like to first say, it feels great to be back in the hobby. I took a few years off to get use to university life but you never truly leave the hobby IMO.
Lets begin...my inspiration for this build comes from the good ol' days in the local club when just about everyone had a Fl mud style rig...I remember the ford crewcabs Clint (aka BadBKO) and Matt (aka warnoffroad) would build which always had me a bit jealous So I said what the hell, lets build one of my own. Started with a TF2 kit that originally was going to be a Toyota build but thanks to Tyler (aka summitcrawler) for screwing me over on that so I sold almost the entire truck minus the chassis and axles. I know, not really a TF, right? Well I had no where else to place this build due to the oversized tires.

My inspiration for the theme of the truck comes from this shot glass I acquired (hence the name "Jack on the Rocks"). I thought I could incorporate it in the rear bed similar to Obijuan's Chevy Crewcab build. Only a keg instead of a propane tank.

More inspiration...in the form of similar style rc's. The over all look I'm going for.

Warnoffroad's rig:

BadBKO's truck:

Flmudder's:

Now onwards to the actual build...

Specs:
-Tamiya f350 crewcab w/ drop bed
-Tf2 chassis
-Yota axles
-old ass pede trans (give it a bit of nastalgia ) Metal gears of course!
-Imex clod dually tires (singles).
-RC4WD bruiser leaf springs
-custom lift blocks
-U-bolt all around
-VXL system
-Futaba 4PL

Color scheme right now is a two-tone black and gun metal theme to match the shot glass. That could change possibly (any suggestions?) ...Also looking for ideas on mounting the cab.

Some photos for ya! They might be a bit sporadic, I get in to the build and forget to take photos (you understand!).

Mock up initiated!...

Cab is now conjoined!...You can also see how I mounted and supported the rear cab wall...

Roof sheet installed!

Donor cab...mutilated it for its window trim.

Back to the rear bed...dropped and if you look anterior to the cab along with the posterior of the bed, I used a clod body floor to create the front and back walls. The floor is made using the original ford bed.

All together..

That will have to do it for now! Next up is bondo time Stayed tuned for more! Open to questions/suggestions!
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #2

Default Re: "Jack on the Rocks": lifted F350 crewcab build

2 thumbs up nice work. Do you have a picture of the chassis by it self.
Luis_5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_5.7 View Post
2 thumbs up nice work. Do you have a picture of the chassis by it self.
Coming up soon!

Small update...Bondo is for the most part finished...finished up a couple rough areas and also added the roof trim.

In between coats I was able to narrow the wheels I'll be using for the clod singles...I wanted something more stylish than the traditional clod rim but needed something slightly bigger than 2.2 to do the job so I went with Proline's 30 series (2.8 size) wabash wheels.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #4

That's quite a nice sized shot glass there haha. Good luck on the build, you gonna keep the 2-speed transmission? That's what makes the TF2 so cool in my opinion.
viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet View Post
That's quite a nice sized shot glass there haha. Good luck on the build, you gonna keep the 2-speed transmission? That's what makes the TF2 so cool in my opinion.
Agreed! Anything less than a 2 speed is just boring, IMO. Great body mods and a heck of a project .
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Agreed! Anything less than a 2 speed is just boring, IMO. Great body mods and a heck of a project .

Thanks you guys! For now it's going to be the single speed...the trans will probably be the first thing to get modded once it's all built. Thinking an Emaxx or reverse dig for 2wd 4wd and lock for burn outs

Sorry for the slow updates, hard with classes in between...
Started on goo'ping the body for extra strength...not all parts shown but you get the idea..

Next was to get the lift blocks set up...as far as u-bolts, I'm using the rc4wd kit made for bruiser axles but only using the bottom metal piece to make room for the custom derlin block and a thin top piece cut out of metal sheet...

Started by cuting material for the blocks..fitting them together

Mock up on the axles..

As far as the chassis goes, it's an L-shape steel piece fitted to the outside, the inside has a flat piece of steel to kinda box in the frame rails...

Mock-up with the pede trans...wanted something simple as far as mounting goes for easy maintance...

Steering servo mounted...using a quarter scale size for 200oz at just about 35$. Tired of burning out expensive servos.

And finally mock-up roller for now..

Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Wheels remind me of this dodges wheels.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
RCC Addict

What are your plans for a rear bumper? I'm working on a TF2/F-350 build myself and I'm thinking the F-350 plastic bumper wouldn't last long. I've thought about cutting the tailgate( the area where the stock rear bumper would normally screw into) and running a Dingo/Rubicon style rear bumper. Any thoughts?
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

From my experience the rear bumper holds on strong. I've run this body on a couple rigs and the rear bumper didn't have any problems. The front bumper won't take much more that 1 nose dive or crash.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe$ View Post
From my experience the rear bumper holds on strong. I've run this body on a couple rigs and the rear bumper didn't have any problems. The front bumper won't take much more that 1 nose dive or crash.
Thanks for the reply, your rig is looking great.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Looking good man. Im building a rig using the Tamiya F-350 cab as well. Im gonna have to keep a eye on this for sure.

N8's SG3 using Tapatalk Pro
n8welch is offline   Reply With Quote

"Jack on the Rocks": lifted F350 crewcab build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM