RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   Which radio do you prefer? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/496476-radio-do-you-prefer.html)

Crutch 05-27-2014 04:41 AM

Which radio do you prefer?

What's up guys? This is my first post in a long time, I basically a noob at all this. Anyway, I've got the TF2 on the way and am trying the figure out the best electronics to get. I am on a budget so keep that in mind. Should I go with waterproof servos and such? Also what is a good cheap radio system to use that's at least three channels? Thanks...

lunatick 05-27-2014 05:01 AM

Re: Which radio do you prefer?

Mine started of with some decent electronics but pretty much all of it got reefed out for various other things i,ve buit
As such mine is currently running an Axial 20 turn motor and Axial ae2 ESC out of a rtr Wraith which you should be able to pick up dirt cheap , it actualy works real well with this combo, I also just bought a cheap RC4wd 4 channel radio so i could run a winch.

Crutch 05-27-2014 06:08 AM

I went and checked out the 4 channel radio at rc4wd and my luck they are out of stock. I contacted them to see when it will be in stock so we'll see. Looks like a good deal for a four channel system.

raceeng18 05-27-2014 06:18 AM

I'm using a Futaba 3PL. 3 channels, easy to set up, and just over a hundred bucks. I've tried other brands at times but have always come back to Futaba.

gcm2006 05-27-2014 02:02 PM

I'm running a spektrum dx4r pro. I also race short course so I got that so I could have one control to run everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crutch 05-27-2014 06:55 PM

Is anyone familiar with the XR3 from RC4WD? Im looking for something on the cheaper side but don't want to end up with a P.O.S either. Thought about the traxxas 3 channel but dont want that long ass antenna sticking out of the truck. Any thoughts on that?

geislerj3 05-27-2014 11:07 PM

I'm running a DX3C on my tf2 and it's a pretty decent radio for a hundred dollar bill... Not quite my 4pl's I run on other rigs but a good radio for the $

trailhunter 05-27-2014 11:45 PM

Got rid of this spectrum mumbo jumbo and went with a 40 door radio from hobbypartz.com, 40 bux and I got a radio that has an EPA adjustment on the 3rd channel, you don't get that with a spektrum until you go dx3r. Mind you, you need EPA on third channel if you plan on using the 2 speed tranny.

FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver

Calderwood 05-28-2014 12:15 AM

Futaba hands down. Everything else feels cheap after you get used to using a Futaba.

Crutch 05-28-2014 04:37 AM

I checked out that radio at hobbyparts.com and it looks pretty cool for the $$. I may try that one out. Now I need to decide on the other electronics to get. Debating on buying waterproof or not.

robertjpjr 05-28-2014 08:02 AM

I second the Flysky GT3b
If you end up buying from hobbyking you can get the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
They are the same thing. Just rebranded. You can hack these radios quite easily. Makes it 8 channel capable.

I use Solar D772 servos from hobbypartz.com and conformal coat the board to make it waterproof.

Crutch 05-28-2014 11:25 AM

I appreciate all the info guys. I may go with the radio from hobbyking because im about to place an order for batteries and charger from there. Im gonna see if they have any decent servos while im shopping there site.

geislerj3 05-28-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhunter (Post 4788948)
Got rid of this spectrum mumbo jumbo and went with a 40 door radio from hobbypartz.com, 40 bux and I got a radio that has an EPA adjustment on the 3rd channel, you don't get that with a spektrum until you go dx3r. Mind you, you need EPA on third channel if you plan on using the 2 speed tranny.

FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver

My DX3C has EPA on it! That's one reason I got it for the $ instead of the cheap crappy feeling fourty dollar fly sky or Turnagy or whatever other cheapo throw away systems there are... I'm not knocking a guy on a budget that's gonna do what they'd like, I'm just saying I'd rather put a little extra toward something of better quality, not that I'm a spektrum fan, I prefer my futaba's but I thought I'd try the DX3C since my LHS only carries traxxas and spektrum and I like to spend 70+% of my $ for the hobby there on parts and such or his two man shop would probably not make it and the next closest shop is 1-1/2hours away

Joe$ 05-29-2014 08:33 PM

I have. Dx3c and a dx3s. Both are great. I see the new dx3c is going to be 99 from rpp

Crutch 05-29-2014 09:51 PM

Well I was thinking about waiting on the RC4WD XR4 to come back in stock but it seems that it doesn't have EPA for 3rd and 4th channels. That seems to be a problem with the two speed tranny. I was trying not to spend $100 on a radio set but may have to. I just want to make sure I'm getting what I need without over buying. This truck is going to be for me and my son to bash around with and maybe with a few locals. No comps in my future. I did order two waterproof servos today along with lipo and charger. I'm getting excited to get this truck in and together. Shopping for a waterproof ESC and motor now to.

geislerj3 05-29-2014 10:08 PM

If you use a sprung loaded servo saver horn on your shift servo you could get away without needing to adjust the EPA

burqueboy 05-29-2014 10:16 PM

Airtronics MT4. It's 2 bills though but well worth it. 4 channels with epa's, comfortable, great feel and quality. Don't skimp on a tx.

Erbing 05-29-2014 10:29 PM

Gt3B non mod, works fine for all I need....will try the airtronics mt4 next.

lunatick 05-30-2014 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crutch (Post 4791160)
Well I was thinking about waiting on the RC4WD XR4 to come back in stock but it seems that it doesn't have EPA for 3rd and 4th channels. That seems to be a problem with the two speed tranny. I was trying not to spend $100 on a radio set but may have to.

Ive been running that radio in mine for a couple of years now and never had a problem.
Broken everything else on it but not a shift servo:mrgreen:

Crutch 05-30-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunatick (Post 4791292)
Ive been running that radio in mine for a couple of years now and never had a problem.
Broken everything else on it but not a shift servo:mrgreen:

Did you run a servo saver on your shift servo?