Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: rc4wd Trail Finder 2 RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default rc4wd Trail Finder 2 RTR

Well turns out today, I received my new TF2 from tower. Was expecting it on the 17th, but UPS delivered it ahead of schedule. I already have opened the box up, and checked it out, to make sure all the screws and other fasteners were tightened properly, and none were missing.
Not sure I like the way the front leaf shackles hit on the frame, and body. The travel is fine though, so may see what I will do if anything with them touching those parts. I am surprised it does have reasonable flex though. I'd been figuring the suspension was super stiff. Its not though, its very soft really.
I do realize it isnt going to flex like a scx10 or similar rig. I dont really care if it does or not. I got it wanting a more scale truck to run local trails with, and do some crawling spots differently, and add in that fun factor challenge to it again.
I will do some tweaking on it to make it more mine over time I'm sure, and wil also be repainting the body a different color than the red plastic it comes as. Ive got a few color ideas in mind, and different ways to do the body up. Then will see about adding in the metal bumpers, and sliders. Things like that to tie it off, and add some scale items to it as well.
Will get pictures taken of the truck as I go on it. Then figure out how to get them posted up for those interested to see how it turns out.
waited for a longtime now to get a rc4wd truck; figueed this one will get me more of a better base to work with. Didnt want a 2spd trans. So this one was just right to start with.
MikeMontgomery1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: rc4wd Trail Finder 2 RTR

Okay, went back down to the basement, where my rc stuff is kept. Decided I'd take another look at the front shackles setup on the tf2 rtr, and see if theres some way to set it different so it stops hitting on the body, and bumper mount in the frame. If I swap around the mounts and get it to where I just flip mounts from the opposite end, will it mess with anything else in the front driveline?

it kinda bufs me to see it under compression hitting on those two areas. It still allows the front shocks to have full bound and rebound. So thinking it may work just fine, to change the leaf mounts around.? But as Im new to the tf2, I'd take any helpful ideas, and comments. Been reading this section for ideas on setup stuff, and how to get abit more out of this awesome truck. So thanks for any help and or pointers. I appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Congrats on the new score! Looking forward to reading about/seeing your thoughts about it after some run time...I'm just starting a budget to finance a new rig,and the TF2 is on my short list BTW,got pics yet?
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You guys with your new TF2's are really starting to make me jealous

Is the RTR suspension setup the same as the Kit? I didn't realize that the trans was different but maybe that's the only thing?

and yes, pics please
nsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

Hey Mike,
Only issues I experienced with flipping the shackles around was having to clock the axle back up to regain my driveline angle
Titus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus1 View Post
Hey Mike,
Only issues I experienced with flipping the shackles around was having to clock the axle back up to regain my driveline angle
I was wondering about that, after really looking at the way its all setup. I agree, in that by swapping around the front shackle pieces. The new angle it seems to wanna run is a bad one for a driveline. So clocking that front axle will be a mandatory deal as well. Figured some shims would help with the angles.

Today, I was able to take it out and run a few good trail areas at a local hill. It really surprised me for the most part of the days outing. As long as I was thinking on wheel placement, and angle of approaches, this truck just went up and over or through every section that my other trail trucks do. But it looked better doing it. That was the funny part. My kit Wraith is so built up, that it gets kinda old after a few outings. So does my scx10 kit honcho. So this one being a box stock rtr version blindsided me. LOL!!

I did get a few pics today. Just need to figure out how to start getting them to post on here. So if anyone can give me pointers on getting pics up on this site feel free. Id love to share them and others Ive got of the rest of my trail stuff too.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimps View Post
You guys with your new TF2's are really starting to make me jealous

Is the RTR suspension setup the same as the Kit? I didn't realize that the trans was different but maybe that's the only thing?

and yes, pics please
Yes sir, the rtr suspension is the same as the kits. The major differences I can tell you about, is that the kit has metal front and rear bumpers, and rock slides on each side. The rtr versionhas plastic rear bumper, and rock slides. But no front bumper. And the R3 single speed transmission. But the remainder is all as per kit. The thing that made me go with the rtr version is really a simple deal.

I chose Rtr for the fact that the rtr has a solid system in it. Which is more expensive than the other way. The kits got great parts, and some things the rtr just doesnt. Im not worried on bumpers, and that stuff. I can fabricate my own. But I did want the electronics to be there. Just made this easier to get right out there and play around. $459.99 for rtr. Minus towers coupons, and club discounts, and free shipping. The kits $399.99 and needs all the electronics to get it going, once its built. So after my discounts, and some real thought. The kit was just not where I wanted to be for right now. All my axial has been kits. Love to build them. This deal I wanted to go the other way, and see what rc4wd had as a offering to hold my attention.

Plus also I didnt need a 2 speed transmission. Just dont use the ones Ive got now in a couple other trucks. So the R3 single speed was perfect for my wants. If you take the time and think before investing in a rc, youll make a well informed and cost wise decision. Just how I think on it.

So anyways man, go ahead and bite the bullet. Get the version that reaches out to you. Who cares what jon doe or jan doe has for their rides. Be yourself man! Enjoy the hobby, and buy the trucks, and versions that really fit how you would actually drive them. Its rewarding that way.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Unless they've changed things, my kit came with plastic bumpers and sliders. It's going on 21/2 years old now though. I've also changed my transmission to the single speed.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
Unless they've changed things, my kit came with plastic bumpers and sliders. It's going on 21/2 years old now though. I've also changed my transmission to the single speed.
Yep mine is the same age and it was all plastic
I,ve kept the two speed though , coz nothing impresses your mates more than a high speed barrel roll
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
I may be misinformed on the bumpers and sliders then. If so I apologize for that mistake. The single speed R3 is a great feature. The internals are really nice, and rugged looking. So far Ive not had any issues from the truck mechanically or electronically. Only thing that has happened to it, is when I got too close to a outcropping of shale, and it took one sides mirror off the door. Then when I tried to downhill on a slope, covers in loose shale, it jittered on a tittering rock, and landed on the opposite mirroe and it came off.

so only cosmetic damage if youd call it that. Im planning on building up some mirrors that'll fold in when they touch on a surface. Or thats the plan anyways. And to give it a good paint job, and some added detail features. Lights, roll bar or exo cage. Custom metal bumpers, and sliders. Got some mip shafts for it, and some better diff gears, and pinions. I did shim my axles both up, to not have the pinion backing from the ring gear. I like driving more than fixing to be honest. So doing preventative maintenance is a key.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMontgomery1970 View Post
I was wondering about that, after really looking at the way its all setup. I agree, in that by swapping around the front shackle pieces. The new angle it seems to wanna run is a bad one for a driveline. So clocking that front axle will be a mandatory deal as well. Figured some shims would help with the angles.

Today, I was able to take it out and run a few good trail areas at a local hill. It really surprised me for the most part of the days outing. As long as I was thinking on wheel placement, and angle of approaches, this truck just went up and over or through every section that my other trail trucks do. But it looked better doing it. That was the funny part. My kit Wraith is so built up, that it gets kinda old after a few outings. So does my scx10 kit honcho. So this one being a box stock rtr version blindsided me. LOL!!

I did get a few pics today. Just need to figure out how to start getting them to post on here. So if anyone can give me pointers on getting pics up on this site feel free. Id love to share them and others Ive got of the rest of my trail stuff too.
I've sorta had the same gripe with my TF2 front shackles, I'm really on the fence about using RC4WD's T boxes.

T-Box for Trail Finder, F-350, Hilux, Tundra

I just really didn't want to add any ride height to my rig, and I'm not sure if adding these will do that. On an hours trail run the suspension really does work just fine, it just bothers me when I press down on the hood of it and there's no articulation in the front. I've since stored mine with the suspension unloaded to save the springs.

Like everyone else, can't wait for the pics ;)

Last edited by tokdl; 07-16-2014 at 10:20 PM.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
I've sorta had the same gripe with my TF2 front shackles, I'm really on the fence about using RC4WD's T boxes.

T-Box for Trail Finder, F-350, Hilux, Tundra

I just really didn't want to add any ride height to my rig, and I'm not sure if adding these will do that. On an hours trail run the suspension really does work just fine, it just bothers me when I press down on the hood of it and there's no articulation in the front. I've since stored mine with the suspension unloaded to save the springs.

Like everyone else, can't wait for the pics ;)

I hear that, on the t box shackles. I dont think they'd add any real height to the truck, but help the suspension to work more like it should. I also agree that when the hood is pressed down, it doesnt have really any compression on the springs. I think its due to them hitting on the front mount for the bumper, and the lower pan plate on the body.

I would love to load my pics up of it. I need to get a paid memeber star to upload them it seems. I have been trying photo bucket and it says my pics are invalid for the upload. So not sure what that means..? But here in a bit I will get paid, and be able to pay for a star, and do direct uploads. Sorry again guys. I will make it all worth the wait.

As for the way it trails, it does a darn awesome job on the trails around my area in kansas. Its done some hard over-hang ledges, and shelfs of rock, and dirt. Shale thats loose, and sand. All types of terrain features. Kept up with a stock Poison Spyder Wraith. So in my book its a great truck even stock. And shimming the axle gears up to take away a ton of slop is a first thing, and doing some metal drive shafts as well. Which I've done them both. I like to run the truck. Not always fix broken parts. Now upgrades are different.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I am going to be removing the trucks stock front bumper mount, and fabricate a new one. I want to see if I can get the front shackles to get more range of movement, which will allow the front ends suspension to flex like it should. If it works, and gets it to flexing better I will let everyone know. Will definitely be paying for a star membership so I can post the pics I've got and will be taking. Keep you updated guys!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am going to be removing the trucks stock front bumper mount, and fabricate a new one. I want to see if I can get the front shackles to get more range of movement, which will allow the front ends suspension to flex like it should. If it works, and gets it to flexing better I will let everyone know. Will definitely be paying for a star membership so I can post the pics I've got and will be taking. Keep you updated guys!
Let us know how that works out. So far I haven't had the gull to cut the body yet. I'm likely going to go with the T-Boxes on the front axle see if there's any improvement. I can always ditch them if it's worse off I suppose. Right now I run just the short leaf, may add the medium on the top keep from too much distortion.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Ok, I am trying to get a link to some trail pics. . Not real sure if itll work right.?https://plus.google.com/u/0/app/basi...m%3Dtab%253DwX
Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Let us know how that works out. So far I haven't had the gull to cut the body yet. I'm likely going to go with the T-Boxes on the front axle see if there's any improvement. I can always ditch them if it's worse off I suppose. Right now I run just the short leaf, may add the medium on the top keep from too much distortion.
Well think my link to my google pics is workable. Check my pics link and see.. it worked for me. Hope it'll work for the rest of the group members. I did cut some areas on the body.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

https://plus.google.com/u/0/app/basi...m%3Dtab%253DwX
Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Yep, link works fine. Looks great btw, makes me want to charge and go trailing.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yep, link works fine. Looks great btw, makes me want to charge and go trailing.
It's great to see its working for posting up pics. So will be doing that long way of transferring pics from my tablet, to google, and the here..LOL!!!

yes sir, the tf2 will handle really decently out of the box. Just take time and find a line, and an approach angle if possible. From there its throttle control, and steering response. At least for me. Im so used to my Wraith, and SCX10's. So I really have to drive differently. But so far Ive followed a stock Poison Spyder Wraith, and did the same trail. Just had to do it differently. But I'm liking the scale truck a lot, and how it works out on the trail is more appealing to me. I know it isnt going to flex or trail like the axial trucks. Well unless you do a 3/4 link suspension swap to get it there. I'm not going that route. I like the leafspring setup for that scale appeal.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It's great to see its working for posting up pics. So will be doing that long way of transferring pics from my tablet, to google, and the here..LOL!!!

yes sir, the tf2 will handle really decently out of the box. Just take time and find a line, and an approach angle if possible. From there its throttle control, and steering response. At least for me. Im so used to my Wraith, and SCX10's. So I really have to drive differently. But so far Ive followed a stock Poison Spyder Wraith, and did the same trail. Just had to do it differently. But I'm liking the scale truck a lot, and how it works out on the trail is more appealing to me. I know it isnt going to flex or trail like the axial trucks. Well unless you do a 3/4 link suspension swap to get it there. I'm not going that route. I like the leafspring setup for that scale appeal.
Agreed! I started out with the TF2 and then went with the SCX10's, so far I have little to no gripes about my TF2, I'm even going to buy another one this year. Although now, I'm seriously considering the RTR as it will save me lot's of time from having to save for and purchase electronics. I plan on keeping mine full leaf susp. as this is a trail truck based on the 1:1 and handles as such, which I LOVE! But to each his own I suppose. Plus if you want more flex I believe there's something called the China mod which alters your leaf spring eyes, narrowing the front leaf's which yields for more flex.

rc4wd Trail Finder 2 RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd Trail Finder 2- RTR Crawling_Nc Chit Chat 1 06-27-2014 08:35 AM
evidence trail buster 1 9 on the scale of RC4WD Trail Finder 2 gionata78 Scale Videos! 2 11-10-2013 12:19 AM