Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My first TF2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My first TF2

Evening all. I have been here on the forums as a guest for years just reading and gaining knowledge. I was active on other forums few years ago and due to the course of life, RC took a back burner in my life. I now have the means and time to get back into it and decided what better to purchase than the Trail Finder 2. My other rigs consist of my shelf queen Tamiya Tundra and Vattera on-road with Tamiya F-350 body mounted. The F-350 once was on my SCX10 before it was sold. Bobbed the bed and it works just well for a make shift drift truck.

My Tundra and F-350

As for the star truck. The TF2 is the RTR version. Currently i am awaiting parts but so far have tapped the side mirrors and mounted with screws. As well as added some carbon fiber vinyl striping.

On Order:
Rampage Front Recovery Bumper
Basic Lighting System For Mojave Body Set
Remote LED switch
5mm Blue LED's to replace white in RC4WD led system ^^
To Install:
RC4WD Jammer Hooks
RC4WD LED bar

So i am playing the waiting game for parts but so far love the quality of the vehicle. Have many ideas thanks to members here. I own a 3D printer as well (awaiting parts now as well) and some of my prints are in the back of the F-350. So i am excited on what to make as well as ideas you all may have.

Thanks!

Trevor-
Got TF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My first TF2

Welcome aboard! The TF2 is a great truck to customize and make your own. I am looking forward to seeing your progress and what you come up with on the printer as well.

RC4WD Team Driver*Krawl Off-Road
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Awesome looking rigs! Great idea with the mirrors!
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thank you both!

This is the LED bar and hooks i will be installing once the rest of the RC4WD parts come in. I got these as part of their grab bag box deal.

Hoping to get them tomorrow, Big blizzard is coming in and would be great to have a project to work on while snowed in.

Last edited by Got TF2; 01-25-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

While waiting for a new board for my 3D printer, a little teaser of the stuff i like to push out.

This is a oil drum that i designed myself.

Going to have it in the bed somehow
Old 01-29-2015, 12:42 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Today my RC4WD and ebay orders came in. I am still waiting for my new deans connectors and radio switch for the LED bar but i took on getting the new Rampage bumper installed, mounting the LED bar, and running the body light kit.

I started by taking the LED bar and tossing it on the copier so i could get a workable dupe to ensure my drill holes would line up. Was a bit nervous with drilling into the brand new bumper but it all worked out great.

Lines up just perfect.

I did run into a bit of a snag on the mounting rods for the bumper. When i went to screw in the mount screws, about 1/2 way in, one locked up solid and stripped inside. (1.5mm hex). Went onto the next and which i only noticed after the fact, it was a longer thread screw. So that one was maybe 1/4 way in before it too stripped. This made for a big problem with getting the bumper to slide all the way in to be close to the body. This also rammed the posts into the steering servo blocking it's movement.

Best solution i found was to take a saw to the posts and cut them in half. Now the bumper sits perfectly where it needs to and i have plenty of room for the steering servo arm.

I had purchased the LED kit right from RC4WD but did not care for having white headlights. So shortly after ordering from RC4WD, i ordered a pack of blue 5mm led's. A quick solder job later and tada.

Since i am still waiting for my deans connectors, i needed to tap into the power supply i have on the Tundra to ensure the LEDs were all placed in the right place. I will also be running the rig off a Traxxas TQi system. I have a modded controller for the Tundra, so it will be easy enough to share the controller on the TF2 for more flexibility in control.

Only found out afterwards, but i mounted the LED bar about the thickness of a piece of paper away from where the Mojave body is mounted. Thinking back, I did not fact that in at all when drilling my wholes. Amazing luck that it worked out in my favor.

Currently how it stands. Hoping to get the rest of my power and wiring sorted out soon so i can see how it actually drives. Hoping to get a set of Dick Cepek wheels as well. Just need to find some 1.55's.

Open to comments and suggestions guys, Lemme know what you think.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looking good!!
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Still waiting for some wiring but i cleaned up the LED install with some hot glue. Also some of my printers replacement parts came in so i am doing some testing. First up, a little cinder block i designed.

Chapstick for reference, I didn't have a quarter for size.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looking great so far. Keep the updates coming, and feel free to throw out questions as they come to you.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Looking great so far. Keep the updates coming, and feel free to throw out questions as they come to you.
Thank you and i certainly will. I once had a SCX10 that was loaded to tackle any terrain. This is my first RC4WD vehicle and my first scale build that i will actually take outside haha. Once i get my deans connectors and have the rig moving I am sure i will have some tweaks and questions for all.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Excellent scale accessories. Rig came out awesome.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thank you much. I just checked tracking and my deans are out for delivery today so by tomorrow it'll be moving! switch for the LED will probably be monday so my OCD wiring will have to wait till then.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Even with all the snow that i have been getting, my remaining parts have come in. Most importantly, the LED switch so i can control the LED bar from the controller. I must say, from using Traxxas power connectors for years, switching to Deans has been a blessing. Why didn't i do this sooner!! So easy to solder and plugging in and off is a cinch.

My current wiring (10 minutes before last picture in this post) with everything being as neat as i could get it.

Someone may be able to explain this to me, but reasoning for having an on/off switch? Is this for the BEC? When off, i see that the receiver gets power but the rig does not, and when on, i am good to go. An explanation would be great but from my previous rigs and CC BEC's i am used to just plugging in and having power ASAP.

So i opened the ESC,

trimmed the wires, twisted them together, and shrink tubed together.

This allowed me to cut out the long switch wire and switch. Much cleaner and makes me happy.

This is now how my wiring sits - Random servo line feeds the body lights

Body lights come on with rig power and LED bar is on my controller. My Traxxas controller is modded so i can have an in/out feature for a winch but am not sure if to add one or figure out some creative use for the channel.

Perhaps you guys may have some ideas??

A shoutout to Ethan over at rcscaleaccessories.net ->Home. I found him on instagram and he makes a bunch of scale paper accessories for trail trucks. I picked out a few boxes from him and they are awesome. He also has signs, maps, boxes, and can do custom work. I would give him a look.

I did notice on my RTR front axle that the seal was not that great. Here i am able to stick a post it inside with real ease. Is this normal or should i remove the axle and tighten it down? Thanks!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I would open it up and shim the gears, It seems every RTR has slop in there gears, Mine needed a shim to move gear closer as well as a shim on the pinon gear.

No it should have a tight seal. But also add some grease in there too.
SirChirpAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got TF2 View Post
Even with all the snow that i have been getting, my remaining parts have come in. Most importantly, the LED switch so i can control the LED bar from the controller. I must say, from using Traxxas power connectors for years, switching to Deans has been a blessing. Why didn't i do this sooner!! So easy to solder and plugging in and off is a cinch.

My current wiring (10 minutes before last picture in this post) with everything being as neat as i could get it.

Someone may be able to explain this to me, but reasoning for having an on/off switch? Is this for the BEC? When off, i see that the receiver gets power but the rig does not, and when on, i am good to go. An explanation would be great but from my previous rigs and CC BEC's i am used to just plugging in and having power ASAP.

So i opened the ESC,

trimmed the wires, twisted them together, and shrink tubed together.

This allowed me to cut out the long switch wire and switch. Much cleaner and makes me happy.

This is now how my wiring sits - Random servo line feeds the body lights

Body lights come on with rig power and LED bar is on my controller. My Traxxas controller is modded so i can have an in/out feature for a winch but am not sure if to add one or figure out some creative use for the channel.

Perhaps you guys may have some ideas??

A shoutout to Ethan over at rcscaleaccessories.net ->Home. I found him on instagram and he makes a bunch of scale paper accessories for trail trucks. I picked out a few boxes from him and they are awesome. He also has signs, maps, boxes, and can do custom work. I would give him a look.

I did notice on my RTR front axle that the seal was not that great. Here i am able to stick a post it inside with real ease. Is this normal or should i remove the axle and tighten it down? Thanks!

I posted about this issue a while back. What I found was, after they paint or powder coat (not sure which they do to the axle housing yet), despite their attempt to keep the material from getting between the axle housing halves, it seldom works, from what I can see. You end up with a dried mound of paint which keeps the axle halves from mating properly. When I took my axles apart for the initial shimming and lubrication, I sanded both halves until I knocked off all paint material, which then eliminated any gaps. Just be sure not to go nuts and take too much off. I had the same problem with both my axles. Personally I think its a small price to pay for such a detailed axle housing.

Last edited by tokdl; 02-04-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will work on getting those both opened up to ensure a proper seating and any possible shimming.

Like you said Tokdl, Small price to pay for such a detailed rig
Old 02-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

One other suggestion. The RC4WD Team just put together a comprehensive guide to the TF2 on the RC4WD forum that includes lots of tips, tricks, etc. I definitely recommend looking through it for more ideas. Here's the link:

http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...ide-to-the-TF2
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
One other suggestion. The RC4WD Team just put together a comprehensive guide to the TF2 on the RC4WD forum that includes lots of tips, tricks, etc. I definitely recommend looking through it for more ideas. Here's the link:

Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2

I have read through that article 2x over now. It is VERY useful and very grateful for the time the collaborators put into it to get it all together. I am sure i will continue to go back to it as i use my TF2
Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My kit axles had a gap were they mate too.I took them apart and sanded the powder-coating off the half's,they fit nice and tight now.
Just don't sand too much.
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Stopped by home depot today to get some LED work lights for my desk area and this color caught my eye. Thinking it will make for a new body color on the TF2. Will have to wait for some warmer temps here in NY before i give it a try. Hoping to keep the "factory" black areas. Lots of masking!

Tags
f350, rc4wd, tamiya tundra, tf2, trail finder 2

My first TF2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tf2 my way kalifkid RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 03-24-2014 10:11 PM