Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Introduction / TF2 build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2022, 03:37 AM   #1

Default Introduction / TF2 build.

Hey everyone been lurking here for a bit and finally decided to creat an account. I just ordered my first TF2 kit and can't wait for it to arrive and to get building. I'm going to apologize now for a long rambling post lol! This won't be my 1st RC or 1st kit by any means. I currently have a bunch of 16th scale RC tanks, 2-14th scale semi trucks and 4-10th scale crawlers. As for the crawlers I currently have a trx4, 2 element kit built trucks and a Gelande2 D90. The D90 I had picked up was second hand and although I did tear it down completely for a good cleaning and changed out bearings and few other parts this will be my 1st TF2 kit build.

As far as the build goes I'm excited about being able to build, paint, weather and scale out a hard body. Lexan is nice but nowhere near as cool as a hard body. As for the chassis I have a few things in mind on how to start off this build and think I've picked up some very helpful information between this forum, FB and a few crawler buddies along the way. Some mods will need to eventually happen over time as the personality of the truck grows and funds become available. The 1st few parts/upgrades I plan on are things I feel should be done from the beginning as I feel they are either necessary or better to do them at a certain stage of the build so you dont have to back track so to say. I have ordered a Jim's bearing kit to install form the start. I plan on removing the internal shock springs, the smallest leaf and Chino mod on the leaf hangers. I've heard on the recent TF2 kits the yota 2 axle shimms have been adressed. I'm going to pick up a shackle reverse kit, anti wrap bar from AM garage and gelande2 hops. Still deciding on either a Bow House transfer brace or the AM offering. That will be the base for the chassis to break in and build upon.

For electronics and motor I'm planning on keeping it simple with a Hobbywing 1080 to pair with my Flysky gt5 radio. As for the motor I'm leaning to a 35T Holmes Hobby motor which only seams to come in a 540 can or his 550 equivalent of 35T. 2 things I'm undecided with the motor is if I should go with a motor drop and use spacers to adjust clearance with the axles and steering rod. And select a pinion tooth count based on spur gear pitch and tooth count.
Well if you made it this far down the page I applaud you !! Lol. If anyone has any other starting tips or info please share. Thanks !

Last edited by Just1More; 04-12-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Introduction / TF2 build.

great start I would say ... the TF2 is a very cool kit, although it really disappoints people because they are after something compared to the other rigs available. (PERFORMERS lets say) and this is not much of that but a scale truck. Your plan seems great in order to get those leaves to break in - they take a while. O-ring mod is great too. I have yet to get any of the A&M Garage bits but possibly in the future, I used the axle mount shims to help out the horrible pinion angle on for the front and the back which help incredibly with axle wrap. also got a second set of the steering link to use on the back to help the steering. and just recently got some IERC shock towers front and back and switch the stock shocks front to back and now the leaves cycle and articulate as they should. I am sure you will enjoy wrenching and dialing your Rig.
Speedy-Triple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks! I like the sound of the O rings. Another cheap easy mod. Are you placing those between the leafs and axles? Your using just 1 O ring per scew? Are you using a second steering rod on the front axle on in front and behind the axle ? Have you noticeable difference with the second rod?
Old 04-12-2022, 12:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Solid plan and well worth the effort. As was said by Speedy, the TF2 has its quirks, but can be made a decent performing scale truck!

I've got lots of mods done to mine in my thread (Oh look, Another TF2 build thread...... (Watch me transform a used ebay TF2)).

I bought mine used with the motor drop mod, gelende front shock hoops, and A&M skidplate and wound up being able to get over 4 inches of flex front and back. Also I cut my Mud Thrashers and really made them a killer tire for its size! I was doing stuff at USTE 2022 (a yearly scale truck event in FL) that comp crawlers were having issues with. I don't even run a winch!

Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses!
RC Perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Thanks! I like the sound of the O rings. Another cheap easy mod. Are you placing those between the leafs and axles? Your using just 1 O ring per scew? Are you using a second steering rod on the front axle on in front and behind the axle ? Have you noticeable difference with the second rod?
I used the angled axel shim - O ring - leaf pack - O ring - screw.
For the steering rod - I always felt like it was so sloppy and this was an attempt to correct that and it helped (structurally is stronger if you think about it) Steering rod held on both front and back ... the front is held under and the back on is held over ... IIRC when you will likely need to install and move the steering to find the right spot where it does not bound up - a couple of washers on the rod ends will help to adjust accordingly. As for a difference, I would say big time. I do not have a fancy servo in it (maybe a 25kg amazon) and now the leaf packs move along with the steering - I just dialed down the limit. For me as good for now for a Leafed Rig.
Speedy-Triple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:38 AM   #6

Thanks guys for the input and recommendations. Will certainly take these into account when assembling this Kit. It's hard to keep this interesting content on a build that has been done a hundred times before here. But this is my 1st TF2 so I'm pumped and looking forward to the whole process. Kit arrived to my LHS yesterday and picked up this morning !

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Introduction / TF2 build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh look, Another TF2 build thread...... (Watch me transform a used ebay TF2) RC Perspective RC4WD Trail Finder 2 57 01-11-2023 09:27 PM
Introduction and wraith build...Major electronics failure ridgesidecrawler Axial Wraith 11 02-14-2016 11:57 AM
Introduction and Build Thread conedog Venom Creeper 16 04-17-2011 10:30 PM
An introduction with a new build. flakkie Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 07-02-2008 10:17 PM
Introduction and New Build Thread!! Edge, comp setup boilermaker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-14-2008 10:05 PM