RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/)
-   -   Team RC4WD Guide to the TF2 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd-trail-finder-2/524671-team-rc4wd-guide-tf2.html)

new2rocks 02-02-2015 05:51 PM

Team RC4WD Guide to the TF2

The RC4WD Team has just posted a new, comprehensive guide to the TF2. If you're considering a TF2 or are looking for ideas for one you already have, check it out on the RC4WD forum:
Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2

Enjoy!

1BadJeepBruiser 02-02-2015 11:24 PM

Re: Team RC4WD Guide to the TF2

Nice work buddy "thumbsup"

Rockatanski 02-03-2015 01:31 AM

Excellent!

Sent from planet RC4WD - home of scale

Rckcrwlr 02-03-2015 03:18 AM

Great job David...and the Team.

Awesome example how our team is pulling together to help the hobby and it's members.

new2rocks 02-03-2015 03:52 AM

It was very much a team effort. "thumbsup"

SteveC6R 02-09-2015 07:38 PM

Great read, thanks for the guide!

seychelles 02-24-2015 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5134383)
It was very much a team effort.

Great Job David, YOU made most ... we just helped with a few things....
Very Helpful guide.... Something such a Saint Graal for the TF2:mrgreen:

1BAMFR 03-04-2015 08:50 AM

With this body, you paint the outside correct?

Rockatanski 03-04-2015 11:34 AM

Yes

1santaever 03-04-2015 01:55 PM

it defiantly helped a lot with buying a trail finder for the first time

espnstang25 03-05-2015 12:24 AM

Thanks for all the info.

new2rocks 03-05-2015 03:34 AM

Glad everyone is finding it helpful.

1BAMFR 03-06-2015 01:10 PM

What type of paint should you use on the exterior of the body?

new2rocks 03-06-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BAMFR (Post 5167227)
What type of paint should you use on the exterior of the body?

Lots of options. Try this thread:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rc4wd...tf2-paint.html

1BAMFR 03-06-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5167234)

Thanks for your help! "thumbsup"

emmett751 06-09-2015 09:29 PM

Excellent read

new2rocks 06-09-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmett751 (Post 5242005)
Excellent read

Thanks! Glad you found it helpful.

HollywoodRC 08-17-2015 11:58 AM

Excellent read. I am not new to RC but I am new to Crawling. I have Tekin secs in all my on road and off road vehicles and I am very familiar with them. I was told by a good friend that has built many crawlers that the Holmes waterproof esc is the way to go. How do you program this esc. I have a hot wire and use my laptop for the Tekins, and was wondering what to use if I decide to get the Holmes. Also suggested I get a 45T motor. I plan to run 3S as well. I apologies if these questions have been answered somewhere else in this forum. I am very excited that I have a TF2 on ordered. I had this truck in college and can't wait to bring back the memories to life. Thanks for all you guys support.

new2rocks 08-17-2015 01:15 PM

Welcome and glad you enjoyed the guide. You'll have a blast with the TF2. It's a great truck. As far as ESCs are concerned, a lot of people like the Tekin FXR as a brushed ESC for crawling. The biggest downside is that, if you plan to get wet, you'd have to do your own waterproofing. If you go the Holmes route, you can get their BLXR (brushed only) or BLE (brushed or brushless) already waterproofed. Either one can be programmed with your PC through Castle Link, which is available for less than $15.

For motor and battery, there's nothing wrong with going 45T and 3S, but you really don't need that much low end torque for this rig. You can just as easily run a good 35T or even 27T on 2S to get excellent low-speed control (esp. In 1st gear) with plenty of wheel speed (esp. In 2nd gear). With that setup, motor temps with stock gearing will stay nice and cool all day long. If you go 3s, just beware that the thicker packs might get in the way of a full or nearly-full interior if you plan to do one.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask away if you have more questions, and definitely post up once your build is underway. "thumbsup"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Bill 09-17-2015 07:39 AM

Thanks for the RC4WD link. I have had Axial based rigs for the past 7 or 8 years and have been looking for something different lately. One that I know in my area runs a TF2 , I would really like to see one on the rocks before I cut loose with the $ for one. Thanks again."thumbsup"

LEWIS 09-17-2015 08:49 AM

David what's up. Good stuff. Can't wait to start building my tf2. Getting parts in line. Longer front shocks and shock towers for the front ordered. And drive shafts. And thanks for the new skid "thumbsup". Talked to metal masher. And he's going to do the yota body for me. So I need to get it to a roller and off it goes to him.

new2rocks 09-17-2015 12:36 PM

You're gonna love it, and I can't wait to see your finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natedog 01-01-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollywoodRC (Post 5280992)
Excellent read.... I plan to run 3S as well. I apologies if these questions have been answered somewhere else in this forum. I am very excited that I have a TF2 on ordered. I had this truck in college and can't wait to bring back the memories to life. Thanks for all you guys support.

Where's your build thread? "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill (Post 5298358)
Thanks for the RC4WD link. I have had Axial based rigs for the past 7 or 8 years and have been looking for something different lately. One that I know in my area runs a TF2 , I would really like to see one on the rocks before I cut loose with the $ for one. Thanks again."thumbsup"

Hey Bill, did you buy one of these yet? :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWIS (Post 5298393)
... Can't wait to start building my tf2. Getting parts in line. Longer front shocks and shock towers for the front ordered. And drive shafts. And thanks for the new skid "thumbsup"...

I looked and don't see your build thread? :)

Big Bill 01-11-2016 08:09 PM

"Hey Bill, did you buy one of these yet?"

Not yet Nate,but I do see one in the near future. Got to check one out this Sunday at our local GTG, pretty impressive it was stock but still worked well from what I could see."thumbsup"

Natedog 01-12-2016 09:12 PM

Cool, they are pretty sweet scale rigs with leafs, makes a better driver and fun.

Torqqe 01-13-2016 09:40 PM

Awesome write-up. Anticipate I will be referencing it a lot! Thanks for the effort in sharing your collective knowledge on the subject. My TF2 RTR is in route to my RC stable and should arrive in 2 days... very excited. To date I have been running axial products exclusively for scale/crawl rigs. Currently have 3 SCX-10s and an AX10 Deadbolt. But there is just something special about this TF2 that has been pulling my attention for quite a while now. Stoked that I bought one! Woot, first post on the forum! :P

new2rocks 01-14-2016 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqqe (Post 5422495)
Awesome write-up. Anticipate I will be referencing it a lot! Thanks for the effort in sharing your collective knowledge on the subject. My TF2 RTR is in route to my RC stable and should arrive in 2 days... very excited. To date I have been running axial products exclusively for scale/crawl rigs. Currently have 3 SCX-10s and an AX10 Deadbolt. But there is just something special about this TF2 that has been pulling my attention for quite a while now. Stoked that I bought one! Woot, first post on the forum! :P

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the forum. I think you're going to love your TF2. Since I built my first one over a year ago, it's a rare day that I reach for my SCX-10 when picking a rig for a trail run or a session on the rocks. :)

Smonkman 01-17-2016 09:33 PM

How does the gearing/speed of 1st gear compare to that on an SCX 10. I'm trying to figure out my electronics for my kit. I'll be running a 2S battery, just trying to decide on motor.

new2rocks 01-17-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smonkman (Post 5425321)
How does the gearing/speed of 1st gear compare to that on an SCX 10. I'm trying to figure out my electronics for my kit. I'll be running a 2S battery, just trying to decide on motor.

Stock final drive ratio (spur/pinion, tranny and axle combined) in 1st gear comes out to a hair over 42:1, which is shorter gearing than a stock SCX10 (approx. 38:1 if running a 5:1 spur/pinion combo). I run an HH Crawlmaster 13T (equivalent to a 27 T on 2S in mine and really like it. Ultra smooth startup, plenty of punch in 2nd gear, nice run times (2+ hours with a 5000 mah 2S).

northern hooligan 08-01-2016 08:50 AM

During my summer vacation a few weeks ago, I had the chance to drive a TF2 while camping, and its a different rig from my Ascender.
So for the past 2 days I decided to look at the TF2 as my scaler (winter build). I wanted to give a shout out to Team RC4WD for the work put into the comprehensive guide to the TF2. As I read ..overload the brain on information.... I am making my list and trying to find the newest threads for the most current info (ie: diff shim needed or fixed from factory) and of course mods ( G2 Shock hoops etc ) and of course regrease / loctite everything and make a list of parts needed. Now I will wait till the LHS's stock arrives in Sept to start.

new2rocks 08-01-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern hooligan (Post 5542393)
During my summer vacation a few weeks ago, I had the chance to drive a TF2 while camping, and its a different rig from my Ascender.
So for the past 2 days I decided to look at the TF2 as my scaler (winter build). I wanted to give a shout out to Team RC4WD for the work put into the comprehensive guide to the TF2. As I read ..overload the brain on information.... I am making my list and trying to find the newest threads for the most current info (ie: diff shim needed or fixed from factory) and of course mods ( G2 Shock hoops etc ) and of course regrease / loctite everything and make a list of parts needed. Now I will wait till the LHS's stock arrives in Sept to start.

Thanks for the kind words about the guide. It was a lot of fun to put together, and I'm glad you've found it helpful. It should be up to date in its current form. I went through it last year when the Mojave 2 bodyset was released (which didn't include any mechanical changes), and there haven't been any changes to the platform since then. The shim swap on the front axle is still a must, and I still recommend swapping out the stock nylon punishers. ;-) Once you start your build, please be sure to post a build thread. We'd love to see what you do with yours. "thumbsup"

bmuzz1 11-30-2016 10:07 PM

The info is very helpful, thank you! I just purchased my first TF2 kit version for use with the Chevy Blazer body I'm planning to do a C1 Expedition build with. I've had a couple pairs of axles in the past but still consider myself a noob to them besides the XVD's.
I just ordered the low profile skid from Shapeways and have a laundry list of future parts and mods lined up. "thumbsup"

rustneversleeps 01-16-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5133927)
The RC4WD Team has just posted a new, comprehensive guide to the TF2. If you're considering a TF2 or are looking for ideas for one you already have, check it out on the RC4WD forum:
Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2

Enjoy!

Well all i have to say is Wow and special thanks to you for a well documented mods,upgrades and know how..
There are some mods that i will be trying for sure to improve the enjoyment from a leaf sprung rig which will be my second,the first one being the Bruiser back in the 80's...Ya just call me old fart.....:lmao:
Happy to be with the TF2 Mafia family...."thumbsup"
Now it's just a waiting game for these parts to arrive so i can start this thing.

FireWire79 06-12-2017 11:07 PM

Thanks for posting a great right up. I am super scared and excited to finally build a true scaler. I know it's going to be a lot of time consuming work to do right, but this is the kit to do it with.

Just got to remember to go slow and be patient.

Fishcharger 09-14-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5542443)
Thanks for the kind words about the guide. It was a lot of fun to put together, and I'm glad you've found it helpful. It should be up to date in its current form. I went through it last year when the Mojave 2 bodyset was released (which didn't include any mechanical changes), and there haven't been any changes to the platform since then. The shim swap on the front axle is still a must, and I still recommend swapping out the stock nylon punishers. ;-) Once you start your build, please be sure to post a build thread. We'd love to see what you do with yours. "thumbsup"

My TF2 kit should be arriving tomorrow. First thing I will do is add grease and lock tight. The "shim swap" you mention is per earlier in the thread correct? As in if shims in the axle housings and outside the housing are in the wrong place they need swapped?

new2rocks 09-14-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishcharger (Post 5748498)
My TF2 kit should be arriving tomorrow. First thing I will do is add grease and lock tight. The "shim swap" you mention is per earlier in the thread correct? As in if shims in the axle housings and outside the housing are in the wrong place they need swapped?

Congrats on your purchase. RC4WD changed the specs on the shims recently, so your kit may or may not require the swap. Best thing to do is check the pinion mesh and adjust the shims if there's any play between the ring and pinion gears. "thumbsup"

Fishcharger 09-15-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5748505)
Congrats on your purchase. RC4WD changed the specs on the shims recently, so your kit may or may not require the swap. Best thing to do is check the pinion mesh and adjust the shims if there's any play between the ring and pinion gears. "thumbsup"

Alright! Got my kit today. Kinda odd what I have found in taking apart the front axle housing. There is a shim on the outside behind the c-clip. But I find no shim on the inside. There is some play in the mesh but doesn't Bind when moving in or out. To shim this to get rid of that play where do you recommend adding the shim?

new2rocks 09-16-2017 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishcharger (Post 5748748)
Alright! Got my kit today. Kinda odd what I have found in taking apart the front axle housing. There is a shim on the outside behind the c-clip. But I find no shim on the inside. There is some play in the mesh but doesn't Bind when moving in or out. To shim this to get rid of that play where do you recommend adding the shim?

I'd recommend shimming inside the pinion to push the pinion as close as you can to the ring gear while still spinning freely without binding or grinding. If there's too much in/out play, the gears will end up stripping.

Digital 01-31-2018 11:45 AM

new2rocks is right about rc4wd making some adjustment to the gear mesh because my diffs were actually not bad out of the box. There is tiny amount of play when pushing/pulling the pinion but totally acceptable in my opinion. Haven't seen a need to adjust the shims really.

Hat's off to rc4wd for actually fixing issues with their kits as they discover issues. The only issue I frowned out was the lockout issue with the shackle mount in the back. The bowhouse 3d printed mounts fix that problem, hopefully rc4wd fixes that in their newer kits. "thumbsup"

mthomson 04-17-2019 01:44 PM

Excellent write up!!