Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: New guy, new build: Project Cutting the Mustard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default UPDATED: New guy, new build: Project Cutting the Mustard / FINISHED FOR NOW!!

Hello all, I've been wanting a tf2 for along time and finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago. I picked up a tf2 kit and started my build. It's taken me longer than it should have to get this far but i only get to work on it a little every other night or so. The truck will basically be a box stock build for now, i did move the fuel cell to the rear cross member and mounted the battery length wise on the frame to improve rear weight. I also moved the front shock hoops back one hole, and installed rubber mirrors. I don't have any pics of the frame as I'm at work, but i do have some of the cab. I finished the cab in tamiya mustard yellow then clear coated it with automotive clear. I also added some black trim, detailed the lights, and bought some emblems and black stripes from rpp that I've yet to install. Anyways on to the pics, let me know what you think, Thanks Jared.

Last edited by greenz; 02-18-2016 at 08:42 PM.
greenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New guy, new build: Project Cutting the Mustard

Looking really good so far! What are you using for electronics? Any future plans for your rig? Hoping you're enjoying it so far. Don't forget to have a look at the Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2 if incase you run into any problems or you just have any questions. It's sure helped me quite a bit.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm not a big fan of yellow rigs but this looks really good!
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Very nice color, very nicely painted and detailed, I like it a lot!
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Looking really good so far! What are you using for electronics? Any future plans for your rig? Hoping you're enjoying it so far. Don't forget to have a look at the Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2 if incase you run into any problems or you just have any questions. It's sure helped me quite a bit.
Thanks, I picked up all the used electronics from a rtr truck then added a cheap servo for the shifter, and a yeah racing hackmoto 35t motor. I plan to add many scale accessories (rack in bed, lights, flares etc.) to the build and some larger tires. Will probably do the chino mod to help flex it out, then just have fun. I've been all over this site so far all the knowledge has been a huge help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbash57 View Post
Thanks, i don't normally like yellow either but wanted something period correct to the truck and after hours of contemplating I decided on this color, and fell in love with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Thanks, I picked up all the used electronics from a rtr truck then added a cheap servo for the shifter, and a yeah racing hackmoto 35t motor. I plan to add many scale accessories (rack in bed, lights, flares etc.) to the build and some larger tires. Will probably do the chino mod to help flex it out, then just have fun. I've been all over this site so far all the knowledge has been a huge help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbash57 View Post
Thanks, i don't normally like yellow either but wanted something period correct to the truck and after hours of contemplating I decided on this color, and fell in love with it.

Thanks, I picked up all the used electronics from a rtr truck then added a cheap servo for the shifter, and a yeah racing hackmoto 35t motor. I plan to add many scale accessories (rack in bed, lights, flares etc.) to the build and some larger tires. Will probably do the chino mod to help flex it out, then just have fun. I've been all over this site so far all the knowledge has been a huge help. I wanted a period correct color to the truck and after hours of contemplating I decided on this color, and fell in love with it.

I got the cab finished last night, I installed the stripe kit, emblems, windows, and dash.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-10-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The body work is turning out very nicely. Good luck with the rest of the rig should be a keeper the way it looks so far.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

So i kinda forgot to follow up on this for you guys, but i finished the truck up a while back and it became a bit of a shelf queen while i was moving. finally got it out the other day and had some fun with it.

Well i finally broke a drive shaft, I new the stockers were weak so I coated them in a 2 part epoxy then melted heat shrink over the epoxy and let it all cure. held up for 5+ hours of crawling but the front one finally gave up when I bound it up in some rocks. I probably could have avoided it but really just needed an excuse to buy some junfacs lol. I also ordered a set of gelande shock hoops and 100mm shocks for the front. so I'll update when its all installed.

Got some time last night to do some repairs / upgrades. Greased and installed my new junfac drive shafts. They went on easy and are a nice piece, but i had to file down the t case and axle output shafts for the holes to line up for the set screws.

Also installed my new gelande shock hoops and 100mm superlift shocks. Just waiting for my new battery to show up so i can finish the mounts for it, then hopefully ill be done spending money on it for awhile.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-30-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Truck looks good, nice paint job and detail work.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's done by many but please don't run the chrome bumper AND the tube bumper. Pick one. Other than that, I love your detail work. Truck is nice
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
It's done by many but please don't run the chrome bumper AND the tube bumper. Pick one. Other than that, I love your detail work. Truck is nice
thanks, i tried to make the theme look period correct to the body style. hoping to upgrade to some smooth steel wheels to help that. i like the dual bumpers but eventually i want a aftermarket bumper front and rear so they'll be gone then.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

wanted to thro another update out there for everyone. i switched the 100mm shocks to the rear, and the stock 90mm to the front. also picked up a set of t boxes and shooter shackles.

Before:

After:

Old 09-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Are they worth the money?
Tontos_Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I picked up the boxes and shackles used for 100.00 so for me it was definitely worth it
Old 09-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hate yellow but your truck pops imo id grab the tamiya grill and go round headlights but keep everything else the same shes a keeper
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenz View Post
I picked up the boxes and shackles used for 100.00 so for me it was definitely worth it
Wow great deal
Tontos_Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
Hate yellow but your truck pops imo id grab the tamiya grill and go round headlights but keep everything else the same shes a keeper
Thats hopefully in it future. Normally im not a yellow person either but thought this color fit the truck well and im glad i chose it.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Update: Removed the springs from the shocks, pretty happy with the flex for still being a leaf spring vehicle. Also installed a set of RC4WD Mudslinger tires, and trimmed the front valance and fenders for clearance. I had some left over pro-line secure loc body mounts and put them in the bed to get rid of the pins. Just waiting on my low profile skid to show up now.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:38 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Never thought I'd like that color but your right, it grows on you!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

New guy, new build: Project Cutting the Mustard - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale 2 build and progress - codename "Colonel Mustard" mce076 Axial SCX-10 39 11-05-2014 05:30 AM
Project "Chopped Crawler" Cutting the FAT off a Wraith NCT_Guy Axial Wraith 32 01-08-2013 09:55 AM
The Mustard Brat... theslowguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 25 11-27-2010 10:07 AM
Mustard FJ scaler Rocket 2.2 Scale Rigs 11 05-27-2008 08:46 PM