Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Battery placement thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Battery placement thread

Hi

I spent quite a bit of money buying a few 5000+ 2S packs which are standard size and fit just fine in the standard location on my TF2.

However, I really am getting annoyed with having to unscrew the body every time I need to charge/swap. I really wish the truck had a design like the Tamiya where the battery can be changed via a spring loaded latch like my F-350.

That being said, what do you do for battery placement? I have heard of a few ideas but haven't seen anything concrete. I've searched the forums and haven't found a nice how-to on creating a hinged bed. That's my ultimate objective.

I'd rather avoid carrying the pack in the bed, but I may have to resort to that as a last option.

Your input is appreciated!
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Battery placement thread

I am very curious myself. I was thinking of having a battery in a toolbox, but since adding my rack, a toolbox wont fit. A How-to bed tilt would be awesome.

Sub'd!!
Got TF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yup, right there with you, and was looking at doing the some thing. A lot of people just put two long set screws in the front to holes, and slid the body over those, instead of putting in the four screws. It actually works pretty well. I too this a couple of steps further, I put extra long leads on the ESC battery connection so that I can plug and unplug the battery without taking off the body, and I mounted a tool box in the back with the switches for the ESC and BEC.

GreatScott's Great Trail Finder
(2nd page)
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use the two long set screws in the front and rare earth magnets on the bed. I have both my ESC and batt leads on the drivers side which allows me to plug and go with out removing the body. I still charge in a lipo bag though.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
I use the two long set screws in the front and rare earth magnets on the bed. I have both my ESC and batt leads on the drivers side which allows me to plug and go with out removing the body. I still charge in a lipo bag though.
This is actually very interesting... This has made me research earth magnets now.

Although I don't always charge in a lipo bag. But I never leave a lipo unattended.

I've never once considered the long set screw idea for the front. I will have to give that one some more thought. Still considering the hinge bed idea.
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
This is actually very interesting... This has made me research earth magnets now.

Although I don't always charge in a lipo bag. But I never leave a lipo unattended.

I've never once considered the long set screw idea for the front. I will have to give that one some more thought. Still considering the hinge bed idea.
After seeing some nasty pictures of lipo fires that destroyed some sweet rigs, it's kinda bothered me about charging a lipo in my rig., well worth it to use an ammo can or bag, and like you said, not to leave them alone.

The magnets work great and hold pretty tight, even after a couple roll overs they haven't broken loose. Only thing I had to do was JB weld the magnet holder to the body, they are so strong, the double sided tape they come with rips right off after a while.

I really like the hinged bed idea though, I have too much head and tail lamp wiring to do that unfortunately.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I really like the hinged bed idea though, I have too much head and tail lamp wiring to do that unfortunately.
That just made me think too, I have wiring for all my lights and wipers all coming back to my bed. I would need to hinge the entire body for that concept to work. Don't mind that, just need to figure out how haha.
Got TF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I plan on using the f-350 body , but not doing any working lights . Will the hinge for the Highlift chassis fit on the tf2 chassis .
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #9
RCC Addict

JimC a guy I know (who's build may well be on here) hinged the shell from the rear and then had a rotating lock type short swing arm up front behind the grill that held the front down.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

I've made a Styrene toolbox for the bed of my truck with a hinged lid and magnets to keep it closed, I cut a slot down through the bed and made a styrene cradle underneath so i can slide my 4000mah 2s lipos down in for easy access and not having to take the body off everytime
Also putting them in this way still keeps as much weight as possible lower down.

Nick1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #11

I would like to see the tilt bed idea, just seems it would be easy to raise the bed and pull the battery out.
WOODY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Battery placement thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Placement revkev91 Axial SCX-10 12 12-08-2014 12:29 AM
Battery Placement HossManny Newbie General 5 06-20-2010 04:39 PM
Battery Placement will bell Newbie General 6 02-15-2010 11:41 PM
battery placement that4byguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 12-18-2009 09:14 PM
Battery Placement? jmantalk Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 08-15-2009 06:56 AM