Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Duellym's TF2 "weekend warrior"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Duellym's TF2 "Orange Crush"

Ok since all you guys seem to be building Toyotas i decided to build one of my own started out by swapping the steering over to the right side
then i think i finally solved axle issue...

then i gave it a crummy paintjob

sorry about the crappy pics my home has terrible lighting

Last edited by duellym; 06-16-2015 at 02:59 PM.
duellym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Duellym's TF2 "weekend warrior"

Crummy paint job has a good color to it, what's that you did with the ring and pinon.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks
What I did was I put both washers on the front of the shaft and fun led the diff cover down a little... Discovered today that the axle still slips rc4wd axles are junk
Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duellym View Post
Thanks
What I did was I put both washers on the front of the shaft and fun led the diff cover down a little... Discovered today that the axle still slips rc4wd axles are junk

What's this I keep hearing about rc4wd axles? I have two TF2s and neither have ever given me a problem in the axle department.

Does it slip or something as if it's pinion teeth not catching with the ring gear teeth?
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I built mine from a kit one axle was spot on on the gear mesh one I had to flip the shims and than it was perfect
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
What's this I keep hearing about rc4wd axles? I have two TF2s and neither have ever given me a problem in the axle department.

Does it slip or something as if it's pinion teeth not catching with the ring gear teeth?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1santaever View Post
I built mine from a kit one axle was spot on on the gear mesh one I had to flip the shims and than it was perfect
That's how mine was I swapped the washers and that worked for a while then it started to slip again so I put both washers in the front that worked for like a week this new modification lasted about 20 minutes

i bet that this has nothing to do with the axle housing itself...its probably something to do with how the bearings are seated... i'll clean and re-grease/re-seat everything tonight....still probably gonna need to change the gears though.

Emailed rc4wd like a moth ago got the "part that would fix it" FOR THE T REX 60! emailed them new part should be here soon. Turns out it does good donuts though lol

Remember how I sent rc4wd an email a moth ago asking about the axle they sent me a new pinion for the T. rex 60 instead sent them an email and they got back saying their going to send me the right part 2 weeks ago still haven't gotten the part yet ugh

I have a question though, what do you guy think about the yota ii's? I really wanna just get rid of the front axle that's on it but I'm not gonna put the same axle on it to have it do that again.

this is odd.. right now I'm rebuilding the axles and when i pull the pinion out it grabs and doesn't slip when i push it in it slips though..

Last edited by THX_138; 07-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duellym View Post
Remember how I sent rc4wd an email a moth ago asking about the axle they sent me a new pinion for the T. rex 60 instead sent them an email and they got back saying their going to send me the right part 2 weeks ago still haven't gotten the part yet ugh

I have a question though, what do you guy think about the yota ii's? I really wanna just get rid of the front axle that's on it but I'm not gonna put the same axle on it to have it do that again.

I have no direct experience with the yota 2s, but I too was interested so I read a few posts a while back.

I thought I remember reading that they weren't all that impressive and some prefer the original. I don't like how the steering knuckle has two ears for bta steering.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Ok not really and update, more like a inform just ordered some rust in a bottle as well as some wraith seats not quite sure if I'm gonna make a custom interior or order one from dinky...time will tell
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I have no direct experience with the yota 2s, but I too was interested so I read a few posts a while back.

I thought I remember reading that they weren't all that impressive and some prefer the original. I don't like how the steering knuckle has two ears for bta steering.
yeah I don't think rc4wd Axles are all that great anyway. I'm sure that the yota 1 steering knuckles will mount right up to them so that's not really an issue.
If I did get new axles for it I'd probably try to buy some OG briusier axles for it. Although I'd have to get creative with putting 1.9 or 1.55's on it.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Duellym's TF2 "Orange Crush"

I have a lot of hard runtime on my Yota 1's on my TF2, and they've held up great. I didn't know about swapping the shims in the front axle when I first built it, and the gears started slipping after a couple of packs. I swapped the shims and visually checked the ring and pinion. With no real reference, the teeth seemed fine, so I left the originals in. They started slipping again after another 1/2 pack. When the replacements arrived, I compared and saw that the teeth had definitely lost some of their edge. Since replacing them and running with just the shim swap, I've had no issues.

I haven't had any issues at all with Yota 2s, but I don't have as much runtime on them and don't run those rigs as hard as my TF2. The only issue I've seen come up with any frequency has been knuckle kingpins tearing from the integrated carrier in the axle housing. I haven't seen any posts on it recently, so it's possible that there was a batch out there with a higher failure rate or a few people running their rigs very hard at around the same time.

All in all. I'd suggest sticking with the Yota 1's on your TF2 with swapped shims and new ring/pinion (you could even switch to the helical set for more durability). They should hold up very well as long as you don't get too carried away.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks that's what I thought if the new pinion they sent me doesn't work then I'll try the helical gears, I think since their not cut straight then they won't slip as easily.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Man, yalls is gangsta. I've been running two TF2s for a few years since they come out and have had no issues lol.

Then again, I don't run 3 cells either like some do.

Although my receiver did just die the other day
Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Man, yalls is gangsta. I've been running two TF2s for a few years since they come out and have had no issues lol.

Then again, I don't run 3 cells either like some do.

Although my receiver did just die the other day
i don't run 3 cells either i mean i do beat on the thing but I haven't broken a drive shaft ( a yoke pin did fall out though) I just was kind of mad seeing how My scx10 never had mechanical issues..

Anyway got my seats today

also bolted on the mirrors so when i break them in half they won't be as hard to remove

Old 07-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

rusty
How's it look?

and some ants

Old 08-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

took it out today no problems this time

it would be perfect with an interior
Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #16
RCC Addict

looks good man i like that rusty orange.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks

wow I guess I have forgotten to update you guy with whats been going on with the truck.
So after the last pics i ended up breaking an axle saft so I haven't been running the truck, so I been doing little thing to it here and there....

starting with the door:

I really didn't like how it came out so i painted the whole thing to resemble a factory replacement door
then I went ahead and started rusting the rear bits:

to that brings us up to now and what happened last night, I hit a rock when I had the body on my scx10 and ended up cracking the lower valence/ air dam ting so i just decide it was time for the whole thing to leave:

Old 11-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Newest pics

a nice pic from today too
it really does need inner fenders.

Hi Dan! you need a bigger bike.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Duellym's TF2 "Orange Crush"

Do you like my truck?

There kind of old pics from a few weeks ago, since then the motor has started making funny noises like a squealing fan belt crossed with a old 2 stroke diesel. I would really hate to put a 35 turn in it because that's how I killed the gears in it in the first place.

Hope you guys like the truck as much as I do. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Duellym's TF2 "weekend warrior" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
warrior 's "viper" build warriorsimi 2.2 Scale Rigs 70 01-23-2011 08:35 PM
Jeep Unlimited "White Warrior" rc_dirtslinger 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 11-02-2010 04:17 AM