Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Superlift Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

Default RC4WD Superlift Shocks

I purchased the Superlife 90mm shocks and I'm very disappointed unless I'm doing something wrong. The specs list 26mm of travel but also list 90mm uncompressed and 67mm compressed. I may have drank too much back in high school but I'm sure that comes to 23mm of travel. I didn't see the discrepancy until now I have them in my hand. I measured 25.95mm of uncompressed shaft and 3.2mm compressed. That's 22.75mm of travel but it gets worst. I also purchased the Z-S1181 spring set. When I installed one of thoses springs instead of the factory spring, the travel went down to 16.2mm! These are useless. Anyone else experience this or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Duster408; 06-19-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Duster408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Not sure, i just picked up a set of 100mm for mine but didnt measure them. Wasnt happy with how stiff they are though. The front of my truck is much stiffer then the rear so i installed my factory 90mm rears on the front with my gelande hoops and put these on the rear. Seems to be ok so far but still hoping for more flex once everything breaks in.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-30-2015 at 08:34 AM.
greenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

Default Re: RC4WD Superlift Shocks

Try to compress them and let me know. The factory silver ones do compress all the way.
Duster408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You didn't do anything wrong, it's just their complete rubbish components not living up to expectations.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

^^^ what he said is 10000% accurate.

i had to cut the springs for these things to work correctly. I bought 3 sets of these (2 for the dual front which was a complete waste of money)

if i had to do it all over i would have stuck with the stock shocks

pvo_srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvo_srt4 View Post
^^^ what he said is 10000% accurate.

i had to cut the springs for these things to work correctly.
How much of the springs did you cut?
greenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i had to cut a little over 1/2 for the fronts to sit well, and back (because i have the rack on there) i removed 3 coils.

i will see if i can get some pics for you
pvo_srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Just ditch the crappy internal spring shocks for some coilovers. The rrd emulsion shocks are okay but the proline scalers blow away any rc4wd shock.
crawleR07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawleR07 View Post
Just ditch the crappy internal spring shocks for some coilovers. The rrd emulsion shocks are okay but the proline scalers blow away any rc4wd shock.
this is interesting. I wonder how the proline scaler shocks compare to the King shocks from RC4WD?
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
this is interesting. I wonder how the proline scaler shocks compare to the King shocks from RC4WD?
I have 100mm rrd emulsion shocks on the rear of my 3/4 link tf2. They are nearly identical to king's as far as I can tell. They get stuck in position when you let them sit for more than a few minutes and you have to compress them to 'unstick' them again, this is with no oil in them in my mock up stage but I can't see them getting much better with fluid. On the front I have a set of proline scalers with g2 shock hoops and they could not be more superior to the rrd's in my opinion. They are silky smooth, look great, and have a nicer finish. Unless scale is your only goal, I would choose the prolines over any rc4wd shock ten times out of ten. Of course the coilovers may be too much dampening for a leafed tf2 but I ditched my leaves for links right away so the coilovers became a must to hold up the suspension. I would rather run the prolines on a leafed rig with no springs and just the shock body and fluid for dampening versus any rc4wd internal spring shock.

Last edited by crawleR07; 07-05-2015 at 03:22 AM.
crawleR07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The stickiness without oil in them is not unusual, did you ever add oil and try them? My Proline Scaler shocks leaked right out of the package, called Proline and they sent me two rebuild kits (enough for all four shocks). I rebuilt them, but have not tried them again yet. I'd rather have shocks that are a little sticky, but don't leak.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

They stick all the time with or without oil but that's only if it sits, but so far haven't leaked on me I run 100mm on the front of my tf2 with 3link rear is red Springs with full length stock Springs with the eyes cut off an I use 2 O-rings under an 2 on top of the springs, I get great flex
Lost_Frequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #13
RCC Addict

How much oil did you put in them, if any? If you did add oil and over filled them they won't compress all the way, at least that's been my experience.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I wish rc4wd or proline would come out with some scale shocks that really worked great but also looked the part. Even the super lifts or old man emu look way large housing wise. Looks like a 6" round shock body on a 1:1 vehicle. The stock shocks look close to the right size but are sticky and leaky without lots of work. The shafts don't appear to be hardened or chromed and look like a Brillo pad has been used to clean them after a few runs. For the money scale shocks cost, I expect more. A set of kings are 1/4 the price of a tf2 kit.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD Superlift Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
superlift shocks OneBadHoncho Axial SCX-10 1 05-29-2014 06:46 PM