Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 knuckle bearing mod: Tutorial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TF2 knuckle bearing mod: Tutorial

I am not the founder of this mod. To be honest I don't know who was the first. I've searched and searched for the thread after hearing about it and could not find the original thread. So here goes my first real thread and tutorial.

This mod provides a fix to the huge amount of slop the stock knuckes and bushings develop over time and the knuckes will be able to turn a lot smoother.

You will need.
• 7/32 drill bit
• 15/64 drill bit (not pictured)
• 4x 3x6x2.5 flanged bearings
• tf2 knuckes

Before and after pic

First drill the knuckle with the 7/32 bit

Next use the 15/64 bit

I tried to just use the 15/64 bit on my first knuckle and it ended up with to much slop. If you got it right the bearing will just press right in with no issues.

Bolt it on the axle. I use 8mm screws cut down to 7mm so they didn't run into my xvds.

After you get it bolted on you will have to play around with the screws to get the knuckle centered and to where it doesn't rub on the housing.

That's it your done just make sure you use thread lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scxscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #2

Default Re: TF2 knuckle bearing mod: Tutorial

Did you drill the knuckle all the way thru?

So does the bearing replace the cooper bushings the on the inside of the knuckles, so now you have the bearing riding on the housing?
rocktoy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy83 View Post
Did you drill the knuckle all the way thru?

So does the bearing replace the cooper bushings the on the inside of the knuckles, so now you have the bearing riding on the housing?

I did one side at the time and yes it replaces the copper bushing but it only goes halfway threw the knuckle and the screws hold everything center and free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I can now say that this is a very worth while mod. I beat the crap outta this truck at a local comp this past weekend and they held up great. No slop to be found.

Sent from ... Wait where am I ????
Old 08-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I like this writeup. Considering trying it.

Where can I find the bearings you mentioned?

4x 3x6x2.5 flanged bearings

If I recall, I'm actually running without a bushing on one side as it is.
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Before and after pic

This doesn't leave much material on the knuckle. Is there a size smaller bearing that would work?
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just throwing another idea out there that doesnt require modifying the knuckle. Ive been using plastic bushings from an ax10/scx10 and sanding the flange down a touch these fit snug in the knuckle holes and leave no slop just reinstall the knuckles with stock screws
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
I like this writeup. Considering trying it.

Where can I find the bearings you mentioned?

4x 3x6x2.5 flanged bearings

If I recall, I'm actually running without a bushing on one side as it is.

I got my lhs to order them. But they were avids I believe.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Before and after pic

This doesn't leave much material on the knuckle. Is there a size smaller bearing that would work?

You really don't have to drill all the way threw only about half but I beat the crap outta it literally at the last comp and didn't have a problem with them.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
Just throwing another idea out there that doesnt require modifying the knuckle. Ive been using plastic bushings from an ax10/scx10 and sanding the flange down a touch these fit snug in the knuckle holes and leave no slop just reinstall the knuckles with stock screws

That will work but eventually have to be replaced once they wear. And not as smooth as the bearing will be.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scxscaler View Post
That will work but eventually have to be replaced once they wear. And not as smooth as the bearing will be.

Ive had to replace them twice now but taking a chance breaking a knuckle can result in a 4 week wait for parts for me i love my truck too much to wait that long
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

This will be the first thing I do you tf2. Wile swapping to xvds.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #13

Thanks for sharing this mod. The knuckes on my TF2 is nearly gone and needs this mod badly.

Terje
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

So I've been beating on the tf2 for a lil while now and I can say even though it doesn't seam like much metal is left after drilling I haven't broken a knuckle yet and there is still no slop. I'm sure if you drive the thing like its a slash you might break one but they have taken some pretty hard hits and kept on going fine

Old 10-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

So, wait a second. When you say to center the knuckle with the bolts does that mean that the bearing doesn't rest snug against the housing?

I too cannot find the original thread, but I thought the idea was to use 4 bearings per side. 2 flanged, 2 normal so that tightening of the bolts doesn't side load the bearings. Maybe shims are all that are needed to center 2 bearings per side. Kind of like setting up trunion bearing preload and knuckle centering on a 1:1 Toyota axle.

The way I see it, while there is less wall thickness after drilling out the knuckle, the bearing itself actually contacts far more of the knuckle than the previous undersized kingpin bushing. Plus the bushing's small contact area is the wear/friction surface. After the mod the bearing is the wearable part and should never wear further into the knuckle, unlike the bushing.

This seems like a must do. I'm drilling out mine before initial assembly. I lucked out and even already have the bearings.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
So, wait a second. When you say to center the knuckle with the bolts does that mean that the bearing doesn't rest snug against the housing?

I too cannot find the original thread, but I thought the idea was to use 4 bearings per side. 2 flanged, 2 normal so that tightening of the bolts doesn't side load the bearings. Maybe shims are all that are needed to center 2 bearings per side. Kind of like setting up trunion bearing preload and knuckle centering on a 1:1 Toyota axle.

The way I see it, while there is less wall thickness after drilling out the knuckle, the bearing itself actually contacts far more of the knuckle than the previous undersized kingpin bushing. Plus the bushing's small contact area is the wear/friction surface. After the mod the bearing is the wearable part and should never wear further into the knuckle, unlike the bushing.

This seems like a must do. I'm drilling out mine before initial assembly. I lucked out and even already have the bearings.

I guess you could do 4 per side but the 2 are working just fine on mine and on the housing with just 2 bearings if you tighten the screws up to much it starts to pull the housing apart and into the knuckes and it binds up. I thought about using spacers to take up the extra space but it you put to big of a spacer it would hold the bearings up and give the knuckes up and down play and I didn't want that.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I followed the original tutorial with 4 bearings per side, 2 flanged and 2 normal. that way there is no side load on the bearings and you can snug everything right up. Been running it that way for 2 years and it's still as tight and smooth as the day i did it. It would be the first thing I would do to a TF2 before even running it.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I followed the original tutorial with 4 bearings per side, 2 flanged and 2 normal. that way there is no side load on the bearings and you can snug everything right up. Been running it that way for 2 years and it's still as tight and smooth as the day i did it. It would be the first thing I would do to a TF2 before even running it.

So basically you get 4 flanged and 4 regular bearings and the rest is good to go. Mine is holding fine with the 2 per side so it would be easy to add the extra 2 bearing in per side.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
Jus
I wanna be Dave

You really only need 2 flanged bearings. I use one on the inside of the knuckle on the bottom, so there isn't so much up/down slop of the knuckle on the housing.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I ran mine on the outside so the knuckle is completely captured buy the bearings and there is no slop in mine.

TF2 knuckle bearing mod: Tutorial - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knuckle bearing mod Jus RC4WD Trail Finder 2 8 07-23-2015 05:15 PM
Steering knuckle bearing meinthe73 Axial Wraith 5 02-28-2013 03:51 PM
cheap bearing knuckle mod josh6575 RC4WD Bully 3 04-25-2011 12:58 PM
VP Knuckle Bearing Q. Harvo EnRoute Berg 22 05-27-2010 08:36 PM