Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: A few Newbie questions!!! :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default A few Newbie questions!!! :)

Alright guys, I just purchased this awesome scale truck for Christmas !!!

Here is the deal though, I am new to the hard body 1.55 scale market (come from an SCX10) and was wondering how I would go about installing accessories to the body. For example, would I just install this roll bar by drilling the four holes into the bed? Does anyone have an recommendations for this (i.e. should I use a reamer or drill etc..)?

Here is an example of the roll bar...

Steel Tube Roll bar Rack for TF2 Mojave (B)

Second question... I know there is no included interior with the RTR version so I am in the market for one... Would this interior work / fit? if so, how would I go about installing it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tamiya-T...QAAOSwGvhUI9Gf

Finally, is there a way to "dechrome" the front bumper of the RTR TF2. I purchased a bull bar that will fit over it but the chrome still looks somewhat out of place. Can I simply rub the chrome off as I could with the Gelande Kits? Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by Ghost Koi; 12-25-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added info
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A few Newbie questions!!! :)

Welcome to the TF2. It's a great platform and a blast to personalize. Here are a few answers:

1. When attaching new parts to the body like the metal roll bar, you will need to drill holes and use screws. Body reamers don't work well on hard bodies. Try a hand drill instead, starting with the smallest bit you can and work up from there. I rcommend securing the roll bar underneath with a lock nut.

2. The RTR includes a dash and steering wheel. Assuming the dash is the same one that comes in the kit (which I think it is), it's much more detailed than the dash on the interior kit you saw on eBay. I would suggest getting the bench seat and then making your own floor pan out of styrene if you want one.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Bench-S...dy_p_2076.html

If you really want detail, you can pick up the CC Hand interior for the TF2, but be forewarned - it's not cheap.

3. Easy Off oven cleaner works great. Drop the bumper in a large glass jar, spray the Easy Off on it, and let sit for a few minutes. It will come off pretty quickly without harming the plastic.

Lastly, check out our TF2 guide:
http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...ide-to-the-TF2

Lots of good info about options for making this your own. Good luck and welcome!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks... is there a chance anyone has any pics of their custom interiors (with / without the bench and floor pan)? I have seen the CCHand version but don't think I'm willing to put that much into my new TF2. Maybe someday!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Regarding dechroming, if you don't want to use harsh chemicals, sandpaper works fine. I started with 220 grit, then to finer grain, it took a few minutes but also makes a great finish for paint.
Cr00zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

new2rocks pretty much summed it up. I will add that in regards to the Tamiya interior the dash isn't detailed at all compared to the new dash found in the Mojave II kits and RTRs but you can cut the dash off and still use the seat and floor pan if styrene isn't your thing just yet. This is the route I'm going with my RTR rebuild.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm going with the Dinky RC interior kits , they seem to be more universal than the other and price ain't bad either .

http://new.dinkyrc.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=63

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

Last edited by sb4pro; 12-28-2015 at 12:53 AM.
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
new2rocks pretty much summed it up. I will add that in regards to the Tamiya interior the dash isn't detailed at all compared to the new dash found in the Mojave II kits and RTRs but you can cut the dash off and still use the seat and floor pan if styrene isn't your thing just yet. This is the route I'm going with my RTR rebuild.
That is exactly what I was planning on doing... I saw your build thread and it looked good Let me know how it goes!

Tags
trail finder 2

A few Newbie questions!!! :) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie questions snipah G-Made Crawlers 4 03-28-2011 06:48 AM
Newbie here! Got questions! JEG Newbie General 1 01-20-2011 03:50 PM
More Newbie questions xjman Newbie General 6 05-26-2006 10:50 PM
Newbie Questions twistedxj Newbie General 4 05-24-2006 10:15 AM