Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: My new Toy...ota!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My new Toy...ota!!

Looks good I like the weathering.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

So, I think Pitbull Growlers are a go. Just need to actually purchase them. So now my question is this, if I trim the lower portion of the front grill and get rid of the nut and bolt portion that fastens the lower portion of the grill to the body, do you depend on the bracket under the hood and behind the grill to hold it on? Is there some other mod that needs to be done to strengthen it?

Hopefully this makes sense and someone can answer my question.
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I have had no trouble just running the metal bracket on the hood.
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletoyboy View Post
I have had no trouble just running the metal bracket on the hood.
OK, cool! Just wanted to make sure before I started cutting and ran into problems!!!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I have used E6000 and drywall mesh behind the grill when I cut off the bolt attachment area. E6000 is like ShoeGoo on steroids .
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
I have used E6000 and drywall mesh behind the grill when I cut off the bolt attachment area. E6000 is like ShoeGoo on steroids .
I thought about the E6000. Had not considered the drywall mesh. I do use that method on my shortcourse bodies, though!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2016, 11:41 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

You'll love the growlers. Way better than the stock tires.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:31 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
You'll love the growlers. Way better than the stock tires.
Growlers are on their way!! Along with some other goodies! Hopefully they are here by the end of the week in time for the weekend.

What she looks like after a little run at Trammel Fossil Park in Sharonville, Ohio. A little dirty and some rock rash on the new Krawler Konceptz sticker kit. No shelf queens here! Also lost the rubber side mirrors. Tried using e6000 to keep them from rotating. I guess the rubber did not like the e6000.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

So I went ahead and cut the front grill and fenders in preparation for the Growlers (should be here tomorrow). Not sure if it will be enough, but rather have to cut more off than have cut too much off. I wanted to make it such that it still looked rather stock and uncut, if that makes sense.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Mounted and installed the Pitbull Growlers. Haven't had an opportunity to run them except for a test in the front yard. Not sure if there is much if any body rub. Not happy with the tire foams so Crawler Innovations 1.55 Lil' Duece two stage foams were ordered.

Also got the RC4WD tool box installed as well as an RC4WD Warn Hawse fairlead.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Been a while since the last update but worked a little more on the TF2. Added 90mm Old Man Emu's to the rear and 80mm to the front. Installed Gelande II shock hoops in the front, along with a steering stabilizer. I left the springs in the OME's and added 5K diff fluid per a post from Reflektr. Haven't had the chance to test anything yet. May have to eventually go with 90mm in front, as well.

Also added some custom plates from RC-DMV and the Toyota emblem to the front grill. Last but not least, added a little local love to the rear cab window.

I have some CI two stage foams for the Growlers but waiting on some SSD 1.55's to complete installation. To vent or not to vent the tires. That is the question. Thoughts?

Old 03-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Why didn't you go 90mm shocks on the front?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Not sure. Stupid, I guess! For some reason I had it in my head that this is what I needed. After the purchase, I immediately thought otherwise. Might be some 80mm OME's for sale soon!

Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Looking good so far. On the topic of venting, Eddie from CI would scoff at me (perhaps rightfully so) for not venting. I don't have a good reason other than some unexplainable aesthetic reluctance, I suppose, but all of my tires work fine unvented. I trust those who say venting works better, but I've been happy enough without. As far as front shocks are concerned, get the 90s. But you knew that already... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Looking good so far. On the topic of venting, Eddie from CI would scoff at me (perhaps rightfully so) for not venting. I don't have a good reason other than some unexplainable aesthetic reluctance, I suppose, but all of my tires work fine unvented. I trust those who say venting works better, but I've been happy enough without. As far as front shocks are concerned, get the 90s. But you knew that already... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've always vented my tires but then hated it when water would get in through the vents. Which made me consider not venting. Then I read CI's views on venting and went back to considering venting.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Did I hear my name...? lol. Looking good man. You'll like those Growlers - And you'll really like them with the SSD's even better because you can actually mount them up nice and true in about 5 minutes without swearing. If I were you, I would use the Nova foams and definitely vent the tires. Venting allows the foams to work better, as well as lets water escape. If you don't already have a rotating leather punch, I'd snag one. That's the neatest method IMO... I picked mine up at Hobby Lobby for under $10. Plus when you go broke from buying toy truck parts you can use it to add more notches to your belt lol. Oh, and the 90mm Emus will make a heck of a difference once things get loosened up a bit. I'd grab the 90's for the front too. And don't get rid of the 80mm Emus if you ever plan on getting a Gelande 2... They're perfect for those!
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflektr View Post
Did I hear my name...? lol. Looking good man. You'll like those Growlers - And you'll really like them with the SSD's even better because you can actually mount them up nice and true in about 5 minutes without swearing. If I were you, I would use the Nova foams and definitely vent the tires. Venting allows the foams to work better, as well as lets water escape. If you don't already have a rotating leather punch, I'd snag one. That's the neatest method IMO... I picked mine up at Hobby Lobby for under $10. Plus when you go broke from buying toy truck parts you can use it to add more notches to your belt lol. Oh, and the 90mm Emus will make a heck of a difference once things get loosened up a bit. I'd grab the 90's for the front too. And don't get rid of the 80mm Emus if you ever plan on getting a Gelande 2... They're perfect for those!
Hole punch is already in my arsenal. I think I will be going the route of venting.

Yeah, I got pretty frustrated trying to mount the RC4WD white wheels and decided to get the SSD's. I have 1.9 SSD's on my SCX10. I really like them! And you are right, they mount up pretty easy.

Already have a Gelande II. Looks like I'll need another set of 90mm for the TF2 front and another set of 80mm to complete the Gelande II!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
Hole punch is already in my arsenal. I think I will be going the route of venting.

Yeah, I got pretty frustrated trying to mount the RC4WD white wheels and decided to get the SSD's. I have 1.9 SSD's on my SCX10. I really like them! And you are right, they mount up pretty easy.

Already have a Gelande II. Looks like I'll need another set of 90mm for the TF2 front and another set of 80mm to complete the Gelande II!
I got the 80mm emus on my cruiser. Works great.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Me thinks me like! These SSD 1.55's are shmexy! They were so easy to put together, especially compared to the RC4WD steel wheels. I forgot to vent the first one, so none of them were vented. We'll see how they do. I can always go back and vent them if I feel the need. SSD scale hubs installed, as well.

Red leafs and another set of 90mm OME's on the way. Once received will set the suspension at that time. Not sure what the name of the mod is but will do red leafs, stock leafs with ends cut followed by the med helper. 90mm OME's at all corners. Think I am going to remove the springs and fill with 70wt shock oil.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Got her out to see how the OME's and Growlers worked. Growlers were awesome and kept great form with the CI foams. So far happy without the venting in the tires.

Ran the OME's with the spring initially. Wow! Stiff as hell! Articulation was nearly nonexistent. Spent some time to take the springs out and got back out there. So much better!

Once the second set of 90mm OME's arrive I'll install those along with the red leafs, etc. Can't wait to see how that works.

My new Toy...ota!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toy crawlers r1 to formula toy Toycrawler5481 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2011 06:49 PM
the toy...ota crawl kid General Scale Talk 5 12-06-2010 10:14 PM
My new Toy.....ota mike Chit Chat 6 01-20-2008 09:46 PM